Joe Douglas: Year End Grade

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 9, 2022.

?

Your Year End Grade for Joe Douglas

1. A+ to A-

9.4%
  2. B+ to B-

43.8%
  3. C+ to C-

23.4%
  4. D

17.2%
  5. F

6.3%
  1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Season ended and third year is in the books. How would you grade Joe's first year as the Jets GM?

JetsKickAss and HomeoftheJets like this.
  2. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

We talkin about Saleh or Joe Douglas here?

Your OP says Saleh but I just saw the other thread so nevermind.

3. Brook!

Sorry. Joe Douglas. Edited the OP

4. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Gone with a D - we have a team almost entirely devoid of talent, the high priced FA signings have provided a terrible return on the investment, completely failed to address blindingly obvious gaps on the team like having no TE and not having a decent vet QB on the team - had a poor draft last year with too many boom/bust picks, this year looks better (so far) but I still think it was a mistake not to trade with the niners and taking the picks given we have so many gaps - only reason I don't go with an F is the team he inherited was also atrocious due to a long history of poor drafting and personnel management

I don't know whose call it was but going with a rookie HC, rookie DC, rookie OC and rookie QB was also a bad decision

mrmajix, SOJAZ, Jets81 and 5 others like this.
  5. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

6. Brook!

Gave him a B-

He got good value with his trades. His Free Agent pick ups left a lot to be desired. His 2020 draft is average to below average but his 2021 draft is pretty solid. Incomplete work yet but he still is the right guy for this team in my book.

Jojo, SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Going with a B -

Love the 21' draft class so far and the set up for next year (money and draft picks) is great. Were in position to really push forward now.

However, that 20' draft class, even with the gase influence is not looking good.

So we need another draft like the 21 not 20. Otherwise he'll be lucky to still be in a job.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

8. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

B- for this year. He had a really strong draft, and the injuries to basically all (not Davis,) his major signings prevented almost all of them seeing the field for a game..

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

It’s clearly an F

do the results mean nothing?
    This team gets worse every year.

he won’t be fired tho, and I’ll continue to not care about this dumpster fire for another last place finish next year.

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I give him a B-. He had a great draft last year and that bodes well for future years. His trades have been great. But he still needs to do much better in FA. This offseason will be make or break for me with Douglas. The Jets HAVE to finally turn the corner - not necessarily get to the playoffs, but be in the picture late in the season. To do that he has to improve the OL, the receiving corps - including and especially TE, and the pass rush and LBs. That's a LOT of holes to fill, but he needs to get it done one way or the other. We've been patient enough.

SOJAZ, KY Jets Fan and JackBower like this.
  11. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

C-

He inherited a very bad roster but he's failed on some of the highest priorities for fixing it.

The OL is average at best after sinking a ton of premium resources into it. It has zero depth due to some draft missteps and lack of urgency in FA.

The jury is out on Saleh. I'm not impressed whatsoever and JD hired him.

JD has traded extremely well but has been poor in FA and average overall in the draft. Our FA signings have largely underperformed or got hurt or both. JD's insistence on value-hunting by targeting injury-prone players is killing us.

SOJAZ, Jets81, tomdeb and 2 others like this.
  12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Discount Joe.. At least we'll have a ton of cap space..

NYJetsO12, SOJAZ and REVISion like this.
  13. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

A D from me. His last draft was great, first draft sucked. His FA signings were the equivalent of Ocean State Job Lot.

NYJetsO12 and REVISion like this.
  14. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

I went with a B- as well. He definitely has to improve and fix parts of the roster, but man this past draft looks outstanding.

Needs to fill some holes through free agency (ahem, TE) and hit on the next draft class as well. It is definitely becoming easier for me to excuse the 2020 draft with all of the COVID issues and how that all dramatically changed.

Most faith I've had in a GM in a decade (not saying much but)

15. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Oh, disregard my post in another thread. You're just one of those self loathing jet fans.

It'll be ok

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  16. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Seems like many of you knocking the O Line he’s building as well as the FA signings this past year are blaming the injuries on Joe D as well. For those reasons a D or F are unfair. My beef with him was the lack of a solid backup for Zach. I can’t even blame him for the lack of a good TE. His trading of Herndon for a draft pick was a boost by subtraction. Maybe everyone is cranky over Seattle winning and our draft pick sliding.

17. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

The funny thing is between Flacco, Mike White, and Josh Johnson we probably got statistically one of, if not the best QB play from non-starters in the league this season

SOJAZ and K'OB like this.
  18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'll break it up into different categories.

Team Record: D
    Drafts: B
    FA Signings: C
    Trades: A
    For simplicity, A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0

It averages out to a 2.5, which is a C+. I think that's a fair grade.

NYJetsO12, Jojo, SOJAZ and 6 others like this.
  19. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Somehow Douglas managed to waste the entire 2020 draft save Hall. Mims and Davis are two of the WORST players I have ever seen don a jets uniform, and Douglas blew a 2nd round and 3rd round pick on them. His 2021 draft was better, but you can't waste an almost entire draft like Douglas did in 2020 and expect to compete. I think the huge extension to Franklin Myers was unwise because he is just above average. And I agree with your analysis about rookies in your last sentence--Can I add one more? Why the hell did he go with rookie free agent kickers until the last quarter of the season? With an those rookies, I argued last summer that he should get a veteran kicker (I wanted Zane Gonzalez). He finally got one at the end and that stabilized the position.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I would give him a C for the roster he fielded. But considering what we could have had if he traded the #2, he gets a D. He took the chance.

tomdeb likes this.