Vic Fangio for DC anyone?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by AndyDrums, Jan 9, 2022.

1. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

Broncos chopped Fangio last night, thinking he could come in here and do a Bill O'brien to our defense. Of course, getting a Micah Parsons type of player wouldn't hurt, buuutt...IMHO, Ulbrich has done a mediocre (at best) job this season, especially earlier in the season when we were giving up 40 points a game. If MLF doesn't get a job as a HC we are set at OC. DC needs to be changed regardless IMHO.

What do you all think?

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He’s a great defensive coordinator but I believe he’s a base 3-4 blitzing guy which isn’t what we’re building towards.

Wish we nabbed Jim Schwartz or could pry him away from the Titans. He’s a great 4-3 front four pressure style coach. Everywhere he goes, the front four suddenly becomes very good at getting to the QB.

Royal Tee likes this.
  3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I am happy with most of the Jets coaching staff, but Jeff Ulbrich should definitely be replaced. I can't tell if Saleh will give him the benefit of the doubt, or do what is right, and hire a better defensive coordinator. We will see. If he does make a move, it will make me respect Saleh even more.

cval, tomdeb and Cman68 like this.
  4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Get Woody to throw some $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ at him lol

Is there a wage structure/Cap in place for coaches?

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I wouldn’t expect any major coaching changes this off-season.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see what happens. Based on how badly the D performed, my feeling is that he should be replaced. That said, however, my mind says that maybe a rush to judgment shouldn't be made.

Saleh and Ulbrich wanted an aggressive D, so that's how they started the season. It didn't work well from the start, but I'm sure that Ulbrich (and perhaps Saleh) chalked that up to no Carl Lawson and the young players learning the D. They thought that in time that the players would grasp the scheme better and start playing better.

I think he (Ulbrich) gave it something like 7 games before he made a change. One can rightly justify criticizing him for waiting that long. Once he made the change, the D started playing much better, but also by that point we had lost a number of other starters, including our veterans in Maye, Davis, Huff, some of our veteran depth off of the PS, and I think Quinnen Williams and Fatukasi missed some games due to injuries. Thinking about it rationally rather than emotionally, when one considers that we had a major scheme change, suffered an enormous amount of injuries to a unit that didn't have that much talent to begin with, and no high draft picks were used on the D in the draft this year, I don't think it's perhaps right or fair to fire Ulbrich. He's not to blame for the scheme change, injuries, or no high draft picks being used on the D. He did the best he could with those who he had to work.

Now maybe he's not that good anyway and perhaps Saleh and JD can make that determination, even taking these factors into consideration. We fans (including myself) are often too quick with the knee jerk reaction to fire someone. I was with both LaFleur and Saleh early in the season, and maybe Ulbrich too. I'm gonna trust whatever decision Saleh/JD make, but I think he deserves another year with better talent.

KingRoach likes this.
  7. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

What was the change they made after 7 games?

8. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Saleh was wanted FIRED by the 49ers fans and Shanahan stayed loyal to him so keep that in mind with Ulbricht.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Huh? When?

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Shanahan isn't as widely revered as we assume after the 13-3 a couple of years ago.

The 49ers overall record with him is 38-42 and that includes the aforementioned 13-3 season.

He's a good bet to get fired next year if he doesn't do something that looks a lot more like 13-3 than what his teams have normally produced.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I just heard on the NFL Network's Game Day Final, that the new HC in Denver will be their 4th since 2015. So the Jets aren't the only ones who have had a hard time getting a decent HC.

Royal Tee likes this.
  12. JetsKickAss

After 2017 I believe. Fans were clamoring for him to be fired. Shanahan stood by him.

Tim Kawakami fielded lots of Twitter and Email calls for Saleh to be gone. He's the #1 columnist for the 49'ers.

13. JetsKickAss

Mike Zimmer ?

14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Except is bloody Monday and we still have a DC.

15. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

He is correct, there was a calling for Saleh to be fired by fans. Apparently his scheme was not really good, it was only when he had superstar players that his defense did well but when they were injured he was mediocre at best with scheme.

I pasted the article in Robert Saleh year end thread.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Yup I see it. Not good, Bob. Not good.

Red Menace likes this.
  17. ILoveTheJets

ILoveTheJets Active Member

As much I would love Fangio, I do not think Ulbrich is going to get fired since it is his first year

18. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

crap idea
    i don't want old retreads