What music are you listening to right now? Merged

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by 17a_tailgater, Feb 18, 2006.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Pre-empting Dierking to focus on the nipples and ignore the chicken hand.

2. jetophile

Rufus Wainwright. I listen to him in my Studio all the time You can't be the son of one the Mcgarrigle sisters and not be fckn awesome. Rufus Wainwright and Graham Parsons in a cage fight. I love them both.

3. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Someone could lose an eye!

4. jetophile

What a gut punch that was when he died. There are a gazillion versions of this song, including, heh, Rufus Wainwright, who truly has the voice of an angel.

EDIT: Just learned that Rufus Wainwright fathered a daughter with a daughter of Leonard Cohen's. You can't make it up.

#5744 jetophile, Jan 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
  5. jetophile

If anyone thinks this isn't beautiful there's something wrong with your head. RIP Kate McGarrigle.

6. coloradojet

coloradojet Active Member

7. jetophile

^I love classical Spanish guitar. I couldn't tell if their strings are loose (everbody's different). I like how Thu pushes up her sunglasses and doesn't miss a stroke. Good stuff.

8. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

B
    een listening to a lot of AC/DC lately, especially Powerage. I bought a 2021 Gibson sg a few months ago, and it’s been a blast just plugging into the amp and turning everything to 10.(or 11 if possible). Just simple riffs , but trying to tame them at full blast.

Savatage and MoWilkBeast like this.
  9. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Powerage is where I think they found their sound. It was there before of course but it was just fuller and bigger on Powerage somehow. It was the real marker for what they would go on to do. Sin City in particular is a big favourite of mine that gets a bit overlooked.

Nice guitar too. Got my young 'un his first electric recently, a Yamaha 112. Been showing him some easy AC/DC stuff.

Savatage and typeOnegative13NY like this.
  10. typeOnegative13NY

Yeah, Ives always overlooked the bon Scott era, outside of a few songs because of the overplayed ones on the radio. It’s always the bside stuff I always like anyway, but yeah - Powerage is my favorite of all of the pre 79 stuff.
    That’s awesome that you got him a guitar! Start ‘‘em young, gotta keep carrying on guitar driven music.

11. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I'm one of those guys who prefers Bon Scott over Brian Johnson, which is weird because the first time I really listened to AC/DC was when I a freshman in high school. Back in Black was such a mega hit. I loved that album so much and I wanted more so I went through their older stuff. That's when I discovered Scott and all their early albums.

The crazy thing is that I somehow overlooked this album. I saw the cover in your post and was instantly confused. I know all the other albums leading up to Powerage and of course the one after it. Thanks for posting this. I'm listening to it now.

I've only see AC/DC once. It was at the Nassau Coliseum. I want to say the tour was for The Razors Edge. Thunderstruck was awesome live.

These days if I'm going to listen to AC/DC it's almost always from the Bon Scott era. He was one of the best frontmen ever. If you've never seen Let There be Rock, I highly recommend it.

MoWilkBeast and Savatage like this.
  12. typeOnegative13NY

Never got to see them. Would love to, my brother saw them probably around the same time. Said it was the loudest concert he had seen. I saw Motörhead, man that was loud!

13. bicketybam

I'm more of a British invasion 1980's metal fan. Don't get me wrong....I love bands like AC/DC, Aerosmith (to a point), Motley Crue, Guns n' Rose (1st few albums), Kiss etc. But when I first got into metal (after being a hardcore Beatles and 60's rock fan), the bands I loved were Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, old Saxon, Queenaryche, Dio, King Diamond. I was drawn to that melodic and operatic type of singing. That will always be my true love when it comes to metal.

Bands like AC/DC were more hard rock than metal for me. I dig them but I've only seen AC/DC once. I've seen Priest like 10 times. Same with Maiden and the others. When it comes to live shows, I'm all about the heavy metal. AC/DC was great but seeing Priest on the Defenders of the Faith tour was something completely different! Same with when I saw Iron Maiden on the Powerslave tour at Radio City Music Hall in 1985. I lost my train fare money after the show playing 3 card Monty :D and my brother's and my two friends. What a shit show!

AC/DC is awesome and a ton of fun to play on guitar. I played bass in high school and learning an AC/DC song on bass was a five minute affair, lol.

typeOnegative13NY likes this.
  14. typeOnegative13NY

Just about the same here. Loved those bands, still do. I was drawn to the thrash scene right away, also the British Invasion bands. Never really took to the rock stuff until later, I always saw it as too simple. Especially playing guitar. Had to be as complex as possible. Joke was on me though, as I never reached where I wanted to be with it, and instead played bass in most bands. Put it down for years, and came back to the guitar learning Pink Floyd stuff mostly.
    That’s awesome To have seen defenders and powerslave.

bicketybam likes this.
  15. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

I prefer Bon Scott as well. Highway to Hell is all killer, no filler. Yeah, I'm sick of the title track, but, the rest is awesome. I saw AC/DC in 1985(The Fly on the Wall tour) with Yngwie Malmsteen opening up, great show.

I'm a huge NWOBHM fan, even some of the bands that didn't quite make it here in the States. Maiden, Priest, Saxon, Def Leppard(first 3 only) are the popular ones but, there was also, Diamond Head, Tygers of Pan Tang, Angel Witch, Witchfynde, Raven, and Grim Reaper. All great stuff from the UK.

bicketybam likes this.
  16. bicketybam

While we are talking 80's metal, when I saw Maiden at Radio City in 1985, Queensryche was the opening bad. I was pretty drunk and didn't know a single song. Me and my buddies were hecking them in the beginning but by the end of their set we were like "Who the fuck are these guys?!"

I just listed to their EP and I am now on The Warning. Man, they were so good. Miss those days.

17. typeOnegative13NY

The live 85 version of take hold of the flame, that vocal performance is unbelievable. I first saw them in 89 open for Metallica. Have been one of my top since.

Savatage and bicketybam like this.
  18. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I also only saw AC/DC once. It was the summer of 84 at the original Donnington Monsters of Rock festival. Undercard was Ozzy and Van Halen. Believe that may have DLR's last gig with the band, definitely his last outside the US. Motley Crue opened the day but I missed them...

bicketybam and Savatage like this.
  19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

First crush ever

Savatage likes this.
  20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner