Did Zach Wilson.....?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 12, 2021.

?

Your grade for Zach as of Week 14

1. Met my expectations

16.5%
  2. Didn't meet my expactations

83.5%
  1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

3-Time Rookie of the Week Champion Zach Wilson has his best week as an NFL QB and is NOT nominated for Rooke of the Week? I am starting to think we can't take that award seriously! :D

cval likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He had 26 TD passes, 28 interceptions, a 56.7 completion percentage and a QBR of 71.2. He also had Marshall Faulk, Marvin Harrison, Jerome Pathon, two solid veteran TEs in Ken Dilger and Marcus Pollard, a much better OL and team around him. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/1998_roster.htm

The two situations are not even close. In '96 the Colts went 9-7. In '97 they dropped to 3-13, as they did in '98, then in '99 they went 13-3 followed by a 10-6 season in 2000. Their HC, Jim Mora, was new to the team, but had been a HC for 18 years and I'm certain that he had a veteran CS, not a CS mostly comprised of rookies. The Jets' situation isn't even remotely close to being the same.

Guy, you're a great poster and seem to be a great guy, but you need to learn/know the facts to base your opinions on. Don't listen to the talking heads or other posters here who are Zach haters and either have no clue what they're talking about or have an agenda. Do some research.

Noam and cval like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Rookie Manning led his Colts on a 2 minute TD drive down 6 to beat our Jets & Belichick's defense.. He showed signs for sure

Jets would win out after that, 7 wins in a row before bowing to Denver in the AFCCG

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sam threw for 341 yards against the Packers in the next-to-the-last game of the season on 12/23. The week before vs the Texans, he threw for 253 yards and 2 TDs. The week before that vs the Bills, he threw for 170 yards with 1 TD and 1 Interception. The two games before that McCown played. The last game of that season vs the Patriots, he threw for 167 yards.

https://www.google.com/search?clien...TF-8#sie=m;/g/11f5hl3t3b;6;/m/059yj;dt;fp;1;;

Google is your friend. :)

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Barnwell is slandering the poor kid now. From his article "Predicting most likely worst-to-first teams in 2022" (the Jets are ranked as his least likely FYI)
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/in...awks-browns-broncos-giants-win-their-division

Jets fans are specifically excited about the improvement in Wilson since the rookie returned from his knee injury in Week 12. The No. 2 overall pick has cut down on turnovers, which is important, but there's not much to get enthused about otherwise. He's completing 56% of his passes and averaging less than 6 yards per attempt, which is replacement-level production. His completion percentage over expectation (CPOE) over that timeframe is a league-worst minus-11.8%. This feels a lot like the late-season strides we saw Sam Darnold supposedly making during his time with New York, only for those improvements to invariably disappear the following season.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  6. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

No one is watching the Jets, or at least very few. The only thing people talked about from the Bucs game was Antonio Brown, no one has even mentioned how well the Jets played overall. Daniel Jeremiah is debatably my favorite NFL analyst and he gave Wilson an A grade for the week.

REVISion, cval and bicketybam like this.
  7. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

In all fairness I don't think BN watched the game either. If I'm wrong I am sure he will point that out. He also stated that Wilson looks the same as he did in game one and has showed no signs of improvement. I went overboard and got personal with him over that take. I was wrong for that but I stand by the notion that if you have seen zero improvement from Wilson between the beginning of the year and now then you don't know what you are seeing. At least in this regard.

8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Barnwell especially is very much a stats guy. Based on his bit about Wilson it's probably fair to say he hasn't been watching the games, just adding up numbers from the box score.

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I pay zero attention to so called analysts that make assessment on improvement based on stats without the benefit of watching the game. Stats in a vacuum are worthless.

10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

There are lies, damn lies and statistics.

11. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

For sure. As interested as I am in the salary cap, and as deeply as I look into it, I’m not as into stat analytics as you would expect. I think they have a place, but a lot of people want to be able to make statements about the game that I just don’t think you can without the truth of the eye test.

12. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

You probably need some context for that article that BN posted a bit from. It was not an analysis of Zach specifically but a ranking of the likelihood of a team going from worst to first. Barnwell had the Jets, probably correctly, as the least likely to do so. Largely because of the division we are in and the strength of the other teams in it and they would all have to bomb for the Jets to move forward so much, which is unlikely. But he's also got a word count to fill so he needs some padding too and that's what the Zach comment was. I think it's fair enough to suggest that Zach's stats have got to improve from those stated for the Jets to even consider challenging for top spot in the division even if the Darnold comment was cheap shot.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  13. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Wilson has the release to make him a FQB. Through experience he could become a legit QB

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

thats all analysts. no way any 1 person can watch film on every single player in the NFL and then report back on it. So they use stats as well as info likely provided by a team of others who watch it. most analysts are just mouthpieces for entertainment and to fill time slots for the NFL

LAJet likes this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Required viewing for anyone talking about Zach Wilson:

Extremely fair and detailed breakdown of Zach's game Sunday. The sexy throws get picked apart and the easy throws are broken down to show you why it was a good throw. If you have a half hour, I highly recommend.

Borat likes this.
  16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

If you want a more detailed and better analysis watch the breakdown by Paiva. JT is smoother and more polished as a speaker but he lacks the detail and the analysis of Paiva's film breakdown. Paiva gives a lot more detail on what Zach is reading and why one option is the best choice. JT makes lots of statements but typically leaves out a lot of the detail that should backup his conclusions.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/01/04/zach-wilson-elite-bucs-ny-jets-film/

Borat likes this.
  17. BroadwayAaron

I like his too but he does it weekly and tends to be a little too homerish. It also drives me nuts that he doesn’t let you see the play before he starts breaking it down. This is the first time an unbiased analyst has done a full game breakdown as far as I know.

18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I want to not have to watch special videos to know that my QB is great. But we don't have that QB yet, so...

19. BroadwayAaron

no one said Wilson is great, rookie quarterbacks are very very rarely great and it’s not our fault that you don’t understand Wilson is improving just by watching the games.

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Is there a quarterback playing in the NFL that could have carried this team into the playoffs?

I can't think of any...