Mike LaFleur

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JohnnyP123456, Jan 3, 2022.

1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I think they call him The Quadfather... obviously does not skip leg day. ;)

[​IMG]

FJF, papapump, IDFjet and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I hate building an argument based on stats but I find them to be valuable assets in validating the eye test so I looked up a number of websites to see if my insights stood up to objective review. The first one I looked at rated receivers by passing yards and surprise! - both Berrios and Crowder were tied at 431 yards and were ranked number 100 in the NFL. Targets were close, receptions were even closer, first downs were only one apart, touchdowns and fumbles were even.

Where they started to divide were yards after catch where Berrios exceeded Crowder by 50%. Berrios also brings his ability to run the ball which he has done seven times to Crowder's none and has two additional TDs running and the special teams return TD. The most surprising difference though, is that Berrios has done this with 390 snaps to 531 for Crowder. I have to go with my original thought that Berrios is not only the more valuable player this year but the better WR as well. Sign him now!

#82 Ralebird, Jan 5, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes MLF called the play. It was an option play with the option of handing the ball off on the end around or if one of the A gaps is open the QB is supposed to do the QB sneak for the 1st down. Zach saw and the film shows that there was an open A gap to AVT's inside shoulder, so Zach tried the sneak. They have drummed into Zach's head for the last couple of months to follow the playbook and the play called exactly, not to audible, so he was doing exactly what he was told. MLF should have told him to hand the ball off and not try the sneak in this situation. Earlier in the year, when Zach was calling some audibles, I think Zach may have realized that he wouldn't get 2 yards and would have handed the ball off, but since he was being made to follow the calls exactly, he did what he was told rather than thinking independently. I'm certain that when he saw the open A gap, he didn't think about anything else except running the sneak. He didn't consider who the two DTs were, the yardage, or anything other than doing what he was told to do.

Jets79, LAJet and Borat like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Spot on! "Overmatched" is exactly the right term. They may be able to shock the world by beating the Bills in Buffalo with only two offensive starters and 3rd string OL, WRs, RBs, and TEs, but that's what it would be...a real shocker. I have no doubts that they will play hard and give it their best shot, but in the end, talent usually wins out. Even if the Jets were at full strength, including having Carl Lawson, it would be a shocker to beat Buffalo in Buffalo as they were a preseason potential SB winner, and the Jets a rebuilding team in what is really the first year of their rebuild under a new CS, which is incidentally mostly rookies. If the Jets win on Sunday, it will be on par with a minor miracle as they are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overrmatched.

Noam, Jets79, NYJetsO12 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Looking at the film of the TB game I noticed one rather big ML adjustment. Early in the year ZW was struggling on PA having to start the play with his back turned towards the defense made it harder for him to make his reads. I noticed against Tampa they still ran a lot of PA but it was almost was in shotgun with ZW facing the defense and often with a TE or WR in motion followed by the RB crossing perpendicular to ZW following the motion to freeze the defense. They only ran PA from center a couple of times.

I have to give ML a lot of credit for adjusting the offense to suit a rookie QB and to the personnel. He gets high marks from me. I am very happy and excited with this CS.

Brook!, Jets79, apjbfc and 6 others like this.
  6. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

This is a well designed set up with the hopes they get blown out to prove a point. Oh how the mighty have fallen. #Sad

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Notmally the media only gives excuses for our opponents injuries not for the Jets as they tried to do throughout the Tampa game ignoring the fact that the Jets were down 14 starters, that the Jets lead the league in players placed on IR and the Jets are starting players that should be trying out for the CFL. There should be no conceivable scenario where the Jets could be competitive with TB being down 14 starters and even more so with Buffalo. Against Jax with even more starters out there is almost no way we should have been competitive but Jax is so bad it is at least conceivable. It really is a testament to how well coached this team is that they showed up with 3rd and 4th stringers the last two weeks and were able to play competitively.

8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

that’s absolutely true…but I think the point is that people need time to grow and improve…it doesn’t always start out great from day 1.

the real question is how much time is reasonable to allow for growth before you decide it’s just not going to work and move on?

this is really important and the source of tons of debate regarding Zach…for Darnold, the team gave him three years….for Zach, he’ll get next year for sure to show continuing improvement…

what about our DC? He has pretty crappy talent to work with, which honestly is despicable considering how many top picks we’ve used on defense over the last ten years…but does he get next year?

9. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I think it'll be pretty fair to start drawing conclusions a little over halfway through next season. Need to see notable improvement from Wilson by that point or it won't be looking good for his long term prospects. That was about the time it became apparent that Darnold was horrible.

Brook!, Jets79 and FJF like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Zach played in those conditions at BYU, not only in Provo, but at other Mountain West venues. Of course Buffalo winters are a whole 'nother animal, but it's not like having Trevor who grew up in Georgia and plays in Florida experiencing it for the first time. I don't think Zach's ability to handle the weather will be the factor, but it could well affect the entire team and severely limit what LaFleur can get them to do.

papapump and Cman68 like this.
  11. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Oh Gawd, it was nauseating wasn't it?

ColoradoContrails, Cman68 and Noam like this.
  12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

EXACTLY!!! And he actually got a yard out of it, which is really the most you can expect out of QB sneak. It was just a wrong call for a 2 yard gain, as simple as that, which Zach did execute as per play book. I heard some NFL players discuss this play. Basically what option call means is that you look at the A Gap and take it if it is there, if not go to option B, which was Berrios run. A Gap was there, and Zach got a yard.

The inexperience comes in where Mike should never make QB sneak an option, Saleh should have changed the call, and if Zach was a vet he would probably know QB sneak won't work on 2 yards, so he would call an audible. When all 3 are rookies, you get this outcome, but it starts with coach. As much as this hurts, I'd rather get that experience now than have something like this happen next year when record hopefully will matter and help play-offs hopes.

Noam, Jets79, FJF and 4 others like this.
  13. Ralebird

Except that Saleh, in his follow-up the following day, said that there is no option on anything over a half yard to a yard, it is strictly the handoff. Now, we'll never know if that is something in the playbook that Wilson should have known or simply disregarded for whatever reason or if LaFleur brain farted and did not emphasize how he wanted it run.

It was simply the kind of BS that has had Jets fans nodding at one another for decades saying "Same old Jets."

14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

We go out with a Bang Bang Upset on Sunday or we die trying

Let's see Berrios and Wilson give a show against Buffalo , a final curtain , a season finale...and the Coaching Staff too!!

Leave me with something good and to hell with the Draft

My Raiders still sticking around ...now that team shows some Profiles in Courage the Jets can learn from:rolleyes:

Cman68 likes this.
  15. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

#anyGivenSunday

16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Now That's the Spirit!! Go down fighting and let the draft take care of itself. DGAF how good the Bills are. They put their pants on one leg at a time just like we do. Leave it all on the field win or lose. That's what improvement really looks like..

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

So Wilson didn’t play a ton of extreme cold weather games in college. He played @ Boise State at the beginning of November in his first and third year, @ Utah, at home vs. NM State in year one (46% completion), and @ Idaho State as a sophomore. A couple early November home games as a junior.

But I will say, conditions shouldn’t be a huge worry. As you said, it’s not like he’s never played in them, and more importantly, he’s lived in a relatively cold state his entire life. It will be interesting to see.

I love weather games in Buffalo and such. Nothing better than snow football.

Cman68, cval and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Bold id spot on and the reason we didn't get the win. Absolutely wrong call for anything more than one yard. Brady or Aaron would have tossed that option in the trash before the clock started ticking, but the rookie has not such luxury.

Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

IMO. that play is a perfect example of the compounded effect of a rookie QB and a Rookie OC and rookie HC growing pains. Add an offense with inexperienced second and third stringers playing their hearts out, a point not made at all by the announcers BTW, and mistakes happen. Thus I find the comments made by that loud mouth Scott incomprehensibly wrong and completely out of line. Wilson played a great game and followed the play book to a T. He is, week after after week, improving, and be more mindful of the defensive alignment and game speed, quicker passes with more zip and a lot less interceptions. Yet he gets buffoons' statements like Wilson went in a hero mode. Horseshit. Absolute SNY cheap shot garbage.
    Scott and co should go look at the defense inability to stop a cold, and wish someone there would have gone into hero mode. This isn't on Wilson at all. Scott is quickly becoming another Metha without the pen.

Acad23, Noam, MoWilkBeast and 4 others like this.
  20. Ralebird

To be fair, we don't know what the playbook said; we do know what Saleh said and that is the option to dive is not there when over a yard is needed, the play needs to be run as called - the end around. If that's in the playbook Wilson screwed up; if it's not the blame lies squarely on LaFleur.