Mike LaFleur

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JohnnyP123456, Jan 3, 2022.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Pretty sure you know my mindset by now and that is the best player gets on the field. That is best by performance, not skillset, pedigree, draft position or which GM hired him as a free agent. I'll never agree with anyone being "rightfully" lower on the depth chart who performs better than someone above him. If Berrios was better than Crowder it hurt the team that he wasn't out there except for spot duty.

papapump and SOJAZ like this.
  2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Extend this beast.

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I think Crowder is the better WR and I agree with him being over Berrios on the depth chart. That being said, I have no issue with re-signing Berrios and making him the Crowder replacement. If Moore were healthy I don't think we'd be seeing this much Berrios but that's not to say Berrios isn't a viable WR.

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Did anyone say we should hang our hates on it and cherish it or are you just being dramatic and creating strawmen?

The point was people are talking about the very obvious improvements the offense has made from the beginning of the year til now. No shit it's not a finished product and you'd be hard-pressed to find someone that thinks it is. That was never the point. But again you're the reverse "forest through the trees" so you don't care about anything other than the big picture.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

After the Jacksonville game, a lot of people thought that the Jets should have either lost or that Jacksonville was just so terrible that beating them meant nothing. So it all became about the TB game....the game that was going to show us a how f'ing bad this Jets team was and how bad Wilson was. He might not even survive the game, remember? How many picks was he going to throw? Multiple for sure.

Then the unexpected happened. The Jets came out and played their asses off with many of their offensive weapons on the bench. They lost their starting RB (who many here view as the team MVP) and well as the starting LT (ditto the MVP feeling.) However they didn't quit and Wilson played about as well as you could expect a QB to play with #3 and #4 type receivers and RB's that couldn't make most teams. I was proud of the entire team.

In the end Brady did want Brady does. It actually reminded me of when the Jets would play a great game against those old Jim Kelly Bills teams only to lose on a last second drive as Thomas and Read just chewed up yards on the final game winning drive.

So now that we passed (failed depending on how you look at it) the test against the reigning SB champs (a team favored to go back to the SB) the Jets are now tasked with playing just as tough against one of the best teams in the NFL, ON THE ROAD IN BAD WEATHER. That becomes the bellwether mark as to whether this team is on the rise or not.

I think that is a little disingenuous and self-serving. This was a team that beat the ever living snot out of us in our own building. Mike White was riding high from his huge victory over Cincinnati and we proceeded to get the ever living shit kicked out of us as White threw 4 interceptions.

I agree that the Jets and Wilson cannot have that same type of game this time around. But the Jets are 17 point underdogs for a reason. They are severely depleted at WR and RB and they may be without their best OL.

I doubt the Jets play as well against the Bills as they did last week. But to label them a failure based on not hanging with the Bills until 15 seconds left would be a bad take. Let's see Zach not throw a non desperation interception and protect the ball against the best defense in the NFL. And the team doesn't wave the white flag no matter the score. I think that's a win no matter what the final score is.

6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

We live and play in the northeast, outside and in the winter. Baby Zach will have to learn how to be successful in cold and snowy conditions. LeFleur will have to learn how to gameplan for this AND make adjustments so yeah, this is a test for the both of them. This will be a first for both rookies as one day, they will play in worse weather than snowy Buffalo can throw at them. Throw in the mental value of a tough showing win or lose and you have something to build on. Time to put on their big boy pants, go out there and play their asses off on Sunday. No excuses...Kindergarten is over.

Footballgod214 and cval like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Of course it's disingenuous. It has nothing to do with rationality, reasonability, facts, logic, common sense, etc. The bottom line is that those posters making that statement don't want Wilson or the Jets to succeed. They'd rather be proven right so they can say, "I told you so." They disgust me. They're not Jets fans any more. At one time, maybe they were, but now they're just bitter, pessimistic people who want to have something to bitch about.

8. bicketybam

Buffalo is a much better team than us. They are at home. That's not an excuse. That's reality.

You know they can play their asses off and still lose by 30, right?

9. bicketybam

They are still Jets fans but they are definitely locked into a position that they must defend. That was the point of my post.

"Wow! You actually did the unthinkable and played well against TB, including the QB?? Against one of the top teams in the league?? Well fuck you and do it again! Against a team that can be argued to be just as good and on the road!"

I'll get called a homer but I think what they are asking the Jets to do is a bit unfair given the circumstances. They are 4-12 for a reason.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  10. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

Thanks for starting this thread.

I started the year off hating MLF. I still fear the rigidity to the system will cost us in the long run.

For now, I'm delighted with him. He's been the best playcaller we've had since Charlie Weiss.

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Good take. Our recent success with the running game has to bring smiles to LeFleur's face. Playing outside in cold/snowy weather requires a running game built for the conditions, and it's starting to look like we might just have one (circa 2009/2010). I wouldn't mind adding a downhill beast-mode RB to compliment Michal Carter but good things to come for sure.

ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.
  12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I think LeFleur being a rookie OC had grandioso expectation for our offense. I think he was treating Zack like a probowl QB and calling games to win, circa 2009/2010 with a rookie QB. Somehow win enough to have a shot at the last WC spot....

But somewhere around midseason, or even a bit later, he shifted to calling plays to develop a young QB, shifting expectation of winning to the running game and even to the defense. I think by doing so he took a lot off Zack's plate. I don't know if this was Saleh's doing or even suggestions from Zack's personal trainer, but it's paying off.

Plus moving upstairs give him a better look and feel to what the Defense is trying to do to stop Zack and his offense.

The way LeFeur is calling plays now is how most of us thought he'd be calling plays at the beginning of the season, prioritizing Zack's development over winning at all costs. I'm glad he was able to pivot to a whole different approach. I compare this to the 'midseason sit down' between Gase and Sam. A midseason change that's paying off.

2022 can't get here soon enough!

Jets79 and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. bicketybam

If he was treating our rookie QB like a pro bowl QB in the first 6 games then he is not ready for the job. For the record, I don't think that was the case. At all.

14. Cman68

I'm fine if that happens. Every team is better than we are at the moment but that doesn't mean you get to not show up. Kids in Pop Warner do that, not Pros. I never said they had to win, I said they had to show up and make a game of it. The excuse that we suck its not valid anymore. The Jets do not suck. The Jets have shown this year they can give you a game and perhaps even win.

Its up to the CS to come up with a plan that keeps the Jets in the game. Its up to the Adults on the roster to show these kids what true professionalism looks like. Its easy to play hard when you think you might have a shot. Much harder to play when you know this is the last game and you're going home in a week for the next several months.

If we lose by 7, 10 or 30 doesn't matter as what's important is the Jets make this a game. Make Buffalo earn it instead of handing it to them on a 4th and 2 QB sneak. MLF can't do any more of those anytime in the future.

No one expects a Jets win. LeFleur should use this game as a teachable moment in winter weather gameplanning. I do know this.. Getting blasted by a big assed guy in full gear when its cold outside can be very painful so they better protect Zach and keep him out of those 7 step drops. Gut runs aren't gonna work real well either so LeFleur needs to be creative in his approach. We won't even mention Ulbrich and his Collander Defense.

#54 Cman68, Jan 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  15. Cman68

Stop whining... Making excuses for the team to lose BEFORE they even play is being a HOMER. What.. The Jets can't play on the road in winter now? Puhleeze. They're 4-12 but again, they don't get to take the last game of the year off whining about how much better Buffalo is. In one breath, you're telling the world how improved the Jets are. The next breath, you're making excuses why they don't stand a chance and its unfair for us to expect them to play well and be competitive on the road, in the winter, in a divisional game.

You can't have it both ways.

#55 Cman68, Jan 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  16. NCJetsfan

He wasn't ready for the job when he got it. That much is clear imo. I think it's totally the case. It was reported that early in the season, early in the game MLF was having Zach trying to exploit holes in the opposing team's secondary. That's something you do with at least an experienced QB, if not a Pro Bowl QB, not a rookie. He did nothing early in those games to get Zach and the offense in a groove and build confidence. He was definitely treating Zach like he was more ready to play than he was. It may not have been as he would have a Pro Bowl QB per se, but it certainly wasn't like one should handle a rookie QB. I think he got blown way with how advanced Zach was in a lot of ways, got excited, and due to his lack of experience was like a kid in a candy store until hard reality smacked him in the face (or maybe Saleh or his brother).

17. bicketybam

You're a mod and I just saw what happens when you speak out against one. No way I'm going any deeper into this.

Go Jets, you scrappy 17 point underdogs. Don't let us down.

18. NCJetsfan

He's not having it both ways. He didn't say anything about them taking the last game off. Your expectation for them to play really well is unrealistic. Hopefully, they'll play as well as they did against TB, but being on the road against a MUCH better D, and probably in the snow, with potentially three less key starters is not whining or making excuses. It's reality! Get real.

bicketybam likes this.
  19. Cman68

There's a RB for the Packers.. #28 I believe his number is. I would back up the truck for this kid if he ever hits the market. Big like Shonne Green but faster.

20. NCJetsfan

You're talking about AJ Dillon who played collegiately at Boston College. Yeah, I'd love to have him, although he might not be seen as a scheme fit.