Zach made me a believer

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 2, 2022.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

This kid will be special. He gave me hope. He gave Jets fans at Metlife hope.

Now Zach.... If you are really a student of the game, you will watch game tape of every single game 10 times during off season. You then will see what works what doesn't and you will come back stronger next year.

Kudos kid. You played your ass off. Thank you for the effort.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

From what I'm reading, Zach kinda went into Hero mode and it cost the team.

Jets69 likes this.
  3. Brook!

Well, growing pains. He played his ass off boss. Trust me, didn't check his stats. Zach was the BOSS today. Good days are upon us.

FYI, we didn't let Tampa rush on us by the way. Something to check later on. Brady went into God mode second half especially 4th quarter but we are a young secondary.

There is hope. I left Metlife happy today.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

[​IMG]
    Uh oh

5. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Nah. Jets should have kicked a FG and then they sent in a dog shit play on 4th down. But this is TGG so yeah. He lost the game.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Zach made a number of good plays today, and again didn't turn the ball over and again was let down by some bad drops by receivers, but one thing that stood out for me was how calmly he avoided the pass rush. There were a couple of plays where he had to escape pass rushers that were right on him, and he just danced away from them like he didn't even care and then made plays, either completing a pass or getting rid of it to avid the sack. It was an example of the self confidence that seemed lacking even a few weeks ago. It told me that he's ready to really take ownership of this team.

7. Cman68

I've been seeing a lot of the bypassing easy FG pts for the kill shot lately.

8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

He's learned one thing today that definitely doesn't work...

9. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

Saleh said, quote: "Quarterback has an option based on the look that he has to sneak the ball in that situation, we wanted the ball handed off to Barrios but we as a coaching staff did a very poor job communicating that in the huddle, and Zach executed the playbook as it's designed."

Zach is not supposed to be making it up as he goes. The plays have keys that dictate what decision he is supposed to make, and he is supposed to make the decision that he is told to make based on the keys that he is told to watch. If he ignored the keys and called his own number just because he wanted to, then sure, that's hero ball and he deserves blame. But Saleh says that's not what happened here.

But don't let that stop anyone from hating on Zach, who (as anyone who watched the game would know) played his butt off today. Putting up 24 points on the defending champs with nearly all 2s and 3s on offense is quite a feat for any QB, let alone a rookie.

(Meanwhile, Trevor Lawrence threw three picks today.)

10. Cman68

Just trying to get a picture of the game. I didn't watch it but I will tonite..

barfolomew likes this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I was driving home from a vacation in Maine so the only way I was able to follow the game was on Sirius with Tampa‘s announcers. They were unbelievably complementary of Zach. They said they saw Fields, Jones and Wilson this season and Wilson was the most impressive easily. They specifically talked about his ability to feel pressure in the pocket and deliver strikes. Obviously this isn’t what Zach has done the whole season so they saw him on his best day but sometimes you have to take a step back and listen to an unbiased party’s commentary to get a sense for how he is improving. Some of us were able to see it with our own eyes but for the people that still can’t, take it up with the professionals.

since I was only able to hear the game up until I got home for the god-awful QB sneak (lucky me)… What was the situation with people dropping passes again? The Tampa announcers mentioned a drop from Cole but other than that didn’t say much. Were there more drops today?

12. Brook!

Yep. They saw it right.

Zach was really playing beyond his age today. Against Bowles defense. Future is bright bud. I now have a full offseason to feel hopeful.

barfolomew, SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and 7 others like this.
  13. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

Gotcha. I think you will be very impressed with how well the offense did under the circumstances. Yes, that last play on 4th down was a steaming pile of dog crap, and everyone will have their own views about whom to blame. But this was a heckuva game by Zach. A lot of great lasers to receivers in very tight windows. Very few errant throws. You've been tough on Zach, so I'll be interested to hear whether you see it differently after watching the game.

14. ColoradoContrails

Yes, there were at least three egregious drops but I can't remember the specifics. Zach was the most accurate he's been all year, and made some really "threading the needle" passes against one of the top secondaries in the league. He even made a great "alley Oop" pass over a pass rusher who came through untouched for a completion. There was really only one bad throw I saw him make and actually it may have been intentional because had he made a good pass and the receiver had caught it he would've been immediately pancaked and may even have coughed the ball up, so it's quite possible that he saw that and threw it into the ground instead.

15. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Pepsi rookie of the week again?

barfolomew likes this.
  16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

His bad throw was the almost pick 6 at the end of half. He got lucky on that on. I think you are correct on the throw you were talking about.

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Jamaar chase . They don’t dare even nominate Zach. Jets Twitter is undefeated

PJ4Ever, dawinner127 and REVISion like this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

That's right. I forgot about that almost INT. What was I thinking? The guy sucks! We need to draft a REAL QB!:p

19. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

I've been a Wilson skeptic all season and I will say today was the first time I thought he played well from start to end (except for that last sneak, ofc). Still not a true believer but today was a sign of progress finally, I'll keep watching and hoping for the best. Maybe he won't suck and leave us looking for a new QB in 2 years. We'll see what another preseason with the young offense brings.

barfolomew likes this.
  20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Here are all the snaps:

Here is the list of all incomplete passes:
    1st, a good read to Berrios, deflected right before it gets there.
    2nd - right into Smith's hands for first down, ridiculous drop.
    3d - long bomb to Berrios. Berrios never quite got separation. Got ran over by DB as well.
    4th - immediate pressure had no time, had to run right away, and threw a hail Mary to Cole, who could not make contested catch - good play by DB.
    5th - Looking left, looks like two options there, but no one open, Zach scrambles, throws the ball away
    6th - Hits Cole between the #s, drops an easy one between hands
    7th - Pressured right away, forced to run and throw the ball away
    8th - Pass looks like like a bit to the left of Smith, DB makes a play, Smith is playing a defender to avoid INT
    9th - Blitz, no one open, Zach throws away
    10th - Immediate pressure with Line collapsing, Zach throws away
    11th - Immediate pressure, throws short pass to open Smith with defender in his face, mishits
    12th - Line quickly collapsed, Zach throws in the direction of Berrios, but looks like he just got rid of it as Berrios was covered
    13th - Pass to Berrios, who first was held, then tripped up. This 2x100% first holding, then PI call. Both missed by the officials.
    14th - Needs a long play at the end, gets pressured, no one opened, throws away.

So, if you look at the stats, only 58% completion, 14 incomplete passes, but really bunch of drops again, bad PI non call on Berrios, most balls he had to throw out or go for a jump ball because he was quickly pressured. Overall really just a few bad balls. Given the defense he faced, and also with so many people out, including Carter and Fant joining the list, I think pretty much as good as anyone could have done.

#20 Borat, Jan 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
    Yankee6, PJ4Ever, Brook! and 8 others like this.