Damien Woody on Becton..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Dec 31, 2021.

1. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

looks like we'll certainly pick 2 OL with our 4 "early" picks next draft.

we'd be foolish not to.

2. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

4 picks- 4 spots need to be filled (AVT is safe).

You do the math

jilozzo and ouchy like this.
  3. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Again if he was lazy or have attitude issues, he wouldn’t suit up, he wouldn’t get ANY snaps. I already said he’s been bad, pay attention. Jeff Smith and DJ Montgomery got less snaps then Mims as recently as last game. There’s PS WR’s they could have brought up to play and play over him and they haven’t done that. Perine got jumped by Walter, who was on the PS. So let’s not act like the staff won’t play the guys they feel can contribute. You’re the one who said he’s had these attributes yet they continue to play him? That’s the point I’m
    Saying and what you’re not getting.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I dare you to say that to his face

REVISion likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

7. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I think you’re right about the Saleh and Joe D improving in the development area as you can see it for guys like our cornerbacks, maybe less so with linebackers, but I think they got too cute trying to draft rookies in the later rounds and have them change positions. The offense looks like it’s coming into its own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrontOfficeFanatic and FJF like this.
  8. Centiment

Centiment Well-Known Member

I know we have safeties playing linebacker, corners playing safety, maybe if we draft Neal for LT Becton could play DL :)

9. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

10. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I used to get so irritated by intentionally negative writers, but there is a part of me that understands that when the team isn’t winning they can’t just go on hiatus until free agency. They still need to sell papers to keep their jobs.

The downside is that they can strongly influence a vast number of people to negativity towards an individual based on 95% speculation. Maybe it’s true, maybe it’s not, but ethically speaking you’re taking a big gamble.

In the world of tabloids, it’s very much understood that mostly what is written is clickbait before clickbait was a thing. What’s weird to me is that the Post and NYDN are just tabloids, yet for some reason a lot of sports fans treat them like they are a legitimate news source. God knows why when you have high quality outlets like The Athletic available.

Becton may well be a problem but I’m waiting for a legitimate news source to report on it.

FJF, bicketybam, MoWilkBeast and 2 others like this.
  11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

[​IMG] Shooting the Messenger now..

#91 Cman68, Jan 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I get it but I think @REVISion summed it up pretty well. None of the below is really speculation.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  13. MaximusD163

The only reason I’m not going to really go into all of these is because I don’t want to come off as some kind of apologist. The only thing I will say is that all of it is very negatively framed.

For example “openly feuding” was Becton answering a question saying that he was not out of shape/overweight, after LaFleur answered a question vaguely saying Becton needed to keep his weight in check. I’m not sure how that’s really interpreted as “feuding” in any way. The most you could reasonably extrapolate from that would be some mild tension.

Same with a lot of this other stuff… My current hopes for Becton are very tentative in nature. I’ve said it before and I’ll repeat it; I was one of those on here pre-draft voicing concerns about the nature of gigantic men like Becton and injury troubles. I just find it funny that people are acting like he’s a lost cause.

Becton has an almost unbelievable amount of confidence, you might even call it being cocky. I remember it specifically when I was looking into all of the tackles pre-draft in 2020. I watched all of their combine press conferences, and his was by far the most memorable. His confidence really popped off the screen… He told everyone point blank how surprised they would be about how fast he was going to run and how well he was going to test… sure enough about a day or 2 later it was true and draft media was abuzz with his numbers.

Like so many traits, this one is probably both positive and negative. It gives him a mentality to go up against the best of the best with no fear, but also may blind him to some degree about what kind of self care it takes to physically handle the NFL. I have never seen anything that suggests he is lazy, but I’ve seen plenty to suggest he is cocky. Personally I think cocky is a hell of a lot easier to fix than lazy… in fact you would imagine his experience this season would be the kick he may need.

bicketybam likes this.
  14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Maybe he can be traded to Seattle for a two 1's. :p

In an alternate universe, maybe Fant could've been a hold the fort LT and Lamb would be the pick at 11 in 2020.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

I don’t think he’s a lost cause but he’s full of red flags now. If you voiced those concerns (and I believe you when you say you did), how are you not more worried as you are watching them come to fruition?

16. MaximusD163

I am worried, but I also didn’t know he was going to show so much promise as a rookie so I can’t help but be hopeful.

The other thing is that the big man injury stuff has nothing to do with taking a falling defender helmet first, sideways into a planted knee. It doesn’t matter who you are, that is going to cause an injury. Same with the concussion from preseason.

Some of his stuff last year, like the shoulder (or was it chest?), and the foot from training camp this year, those are more in the vein of what I’m worried about. At the same time, those are the types of things that any big trench player can and do suffer. Quinnen had the foot in the off-season and the shoulder now in-season. I don’t see people proclaiming Quinnen an injury bust, despite the fact that their injury history is very similar aside from taking a helmet to the knee, which like I said, would have injured anyone.

Conditioning was also a problem with Quinnen early on to be honest. I just have seen the cycle of fans overreacting to young players’ various issues and then it being fine in the end. It’s the main reason I didn’t have a take on Mims until I actually watched his tape from the later part of this season and saw with my own eyes that the dude sucks right now.

MoWilkBeast and bicketybam like this.
  17. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

some of us may forget that these guys are 21-22-23 years old and need to be guided on how and why to do everything.

i mean EVERYTHING.

Cman68 and bicketybam like this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

I’ve honestly never heard of an offensive lineman having conditioning issues. It makes a lot of sense for defensive lineman to struggle with it in their first NFL season. For whatever reason, offensive lineman don’t wear down traditionally like defenders do. That’s why they don’t rotate out.

Regardless, Becton did show a lot as a dominant run blocker down the stretch and a mediocre pass blocker. But he was also in a straight ahead scheme rather than a side to side scheme although I don’t discount his ability to play in the wide zone as he ran it in Louisville. I do imagine they had him blocking down more often than not even though that bucks the scheme.

I hope he’s willing to move to RT. He could be dominant in the wide zone as the backside blocker for the cutback where he can just shove defensive ends into the ground. Because Fant has looked very good at left tackle.

Fiftynine, REVISion and Jets79 like this.
  19. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

#1 draft pick plays rookie year and does well, not great. Flashes some incredible athleticism. Misses 2 games and parts of others due to injuries.

Same guy sustains an injury in the first game his second year and ends up missing the rest of the season. Injury has nothing to do with his weight.

All of that adds up to trade him. Riiiight. There is no way in hell the Jets are trading him this off-season. It's just not happening.

Remember Leo Williams, that "fat bastard?" Fans finally got their wish and he was traded and then everyone was crying we should have never traded him. Same shit, different day.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  20. jessedark

jessedark Active Member

I recall hearing that the blocking scheme has changed from last year from just blocking the guy in front of year to a zone blocking scheme. At his size and weight is this the best use of his skills? I mean asking him to catch a linebacker who s the angle and speed seems like a bit much.

abyzmul likes this.