Jim Harbaugh discussion

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by Br4d, Nov 28, 2021.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Sounds like a good-hearted PR move by a guy who is keeping his options open.

It puts pressure on Michigan to rewrite his contract (again) while also, as you point out, cushioning the blow if he leaves.

I think if he wins the National Championship he leaves (bucket list) and if he doesn't Michigan rewrites his contract to get him to stay. I think they'd rewrite his deal if he wins of course but winning a Super Bowl is likely also on his bucket list.

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

"Psst, Jerry - who's the guy with the hat?"

#42 Ralebird, Dec 1, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  3. Br4d

Florio revealed that Belichik may be making $25M a year at this point and that several other guys are in the $15-20M range.

Who knew?

Obviously this casts the Jets low-balling wanna-be coordinators in an entirely different light. They have to spend to near the cap on players but they can be as cheap as they wanna-be on coaches and apparently they are.

Brook!, abyzmul and Sundayjack like this.
  4. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Interesting that this would be leaked out now, with college coaches salaries going crazy. Frankly, I hope it’s true.

Br4d likes this.
  5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That would shock me not a bit. Considering the amount of money changing hands on any given Sunday, especially with legal sports gambling, you might expect a little more transparency in that area by now.

Let's see if the NFL gets hit with the corporate salary leveling hatchet like the rest of us bums.

6. Sundayjack

Know what comes to mind? How Brady’s TB12 fitness guy had rental space in the retail stores around Gillette. In the grand scheme of things it’s small dollars, but anyone thinking for a second he was paying market rent is excused from serious discussion. An owner like Kraft with a multi-tiered business model has huge opportunity for off-cap spending. I’d love to see the names of the guest speakers for the last 10-years of annual meetings of his paper products company. “2:30pm in the East-Wing Conference Room - Josh McDaniels: Brown Paper Bags in the Age of the Diminished Fullback”.

Br4d, REVISion and abyzmul like this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

8. Br4d

The one fruitful branch of the Belichik coaching tree.

Saban, BTW, calls his 4 years as DC under Belichik in Cleveland the worst 4 years of his life.

9. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

Harbaugh is exactly the kind of guy who is needed in New York. You need some abrasiveness and ego to survive in the NY media. He'd do well with the Jets because he'd whip them into shape and quickly. He also doesn't have "his guy"; his MO is "perform or I'll find someone who will" and not "We're sticking with [player] no matter how bad he flops."

Br4d, RochesterJet, REVISion and 2 others like this.
  10. Br4d

First step to getting Harbaugh is Michigan wins the National Championship. If they lose in the CFP he will want to stay to win one and Michigan will be under huge pressure to upgrade his contract to keep him.

Royal Tee likes this.
  11. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Br4d likes this.
  12. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

So, Cincinnati really not looking like they belong on the same field with Bama so far.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

No surprise. They got bullied all game long at the LOS. Alabama with Saban could’ve beaten them with his entire second team. Those recruits would’ve still been higher rated than 75% of Cincinnati’s roster.

I think Cincy could’ve played with both Georgia and Michigan.

14. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

And Michigan not even close to Georgia....o_O

15. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

Wolverines w/o claws and teeth... geriatric wolverines in khakis!!

Harbaugh is a weirdo.

Useta like him.

Living in NorCal you saw the quality at first and then the CRAZY after and realized.. stay away from this dude.

Now I just chuckle at this asshat

16. Br4d

Well, damn. Worst of all worlds here.

Wolverines lost but not big enough for Michigan to decide to move on from Harbaugh.

Harbaugh will now look to upgrade his contract again and Michigan will probably do that.

17. Sundayjack

Can I just point out that when @Brad first introduced the name “Jim Harbaugh” into the NFL coaching discussion here in this thread, not a single football writer anywhere was focused on this guy. One month later, speculation about Harbaugh’s future is the hottest topic on the coaching carousel.

I listened to his Orange Bowl postgame comments with this thread in mind. They struck me as. . . awkward. It just seems like he’s carefully measuring his words and consciously avoiding any comments that define his future intentions. I admit that I’m probably, and unfairly, reading too much into comments from a coach who has a mic shoved in his face in the tunnel after a big loss. Still, he just sounds very passive, and he wasn’t any more prospective in his postgame press conference. He’s asked about where the team goes in the future and it’s like he catches himself to avoid any statement that connects him with next year - “We’ll. . . uhh. . . to me it’s a start.”

Skip ahead a few weeks, and he reportedly blew off a meeting to discuss a new UM contract. I’d love to know if that’s true. If so, that says to me he’ll let the rumor-mill boil at least through National Signing Day. Michigan’s playoff run saved this year’s recruiting class, but the job won’t be complete until Feb 2. I have to think he’ll want to be able to say he’s leaving UM in solid shape.

Having said all that, if I were putting money on Jim Harbaugh’s future, I’d bet on him getting a new contract with a shit-ton of money to stay at Michigan. Mostly based on Steven Ross’s statement. Not just because he says he wouldn’t want to be the guy to hire Harbaugh away from Michigan. But, for a guy who donates as much money as Ross does to UM, if he really wants him to stay, he’ll open his checkbook to make that happen.

jilozzo likes this.
  18. Br4d

I think you're right on him staying at UM.

However if we don't hear something about his contract pretty soon I'll start wondering again.

19. Br4d

Michigan is prepping people for the possibility Harbaugh will leave. They likely have no idea if he's going or not but the overall confusion caused by the UM President resigning/getting removed is probably going to prevent them from taking proactive action to retain him.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Edit: wrong thread.

#60 Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2022