Damien Woody on Becton..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Dec 31, 2021.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I like when fat dudes put their mask down like that to cover their double chin.

Brook!, K'OB and Borat like this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Why should we believe this could cause a divide between coach and front office? They have been lock step from the get go. I’d imagine becton isn’t mr popularity with the coaches.

3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

It's pretty clear to me imo. The coaches are the objective party here. It's no skin off their backs if Becton is bad or unreliable, they didn't draft him. Douglas did, so he has his own reputation to worry about if there are problems with Becton.

We have the coaches on one side, wanting to do whatever is best for the team. We have Douglas on the other side, weighing what's best for the team with what's best for his reputation and job security.

KingRoach likes this.
  4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

His 450K necklace is weighing him down.

5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

No wonder Saleh said it will be a miracle if he plays this year. It would literally take an act of God to get him in shape in two weeks. And nothing basic like walking on water either, this will have to be a true divine intervention.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Thanks! What really jumps out at me is "he Jets, for the LONGEST time, have been bottom of the barrel when it comes to player development and training. Everything from facilities to regimen to accountability is the worst he's been around as a former player.". WOW! That sure answers a bunch of questions! For one, how every year it seems we lead the league in key injuries, so many rookies flopping. I hope Douglas has been addressing this. This also aligns with the belief that the Johnsons are tightfisted. No wonder we've sucked for so long! Yes, I know this is one former player's opinion, but it does line up with the things I've seen from this team.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I was watching that Jets show on SNY and Becton came up. I was expecting Bart Scott to destroy him, had my popcorn ready and everything and Bart defended him. It was disappointing

8. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

- People are trying to make an issue with Becton when there hasn’t been much there. The weight “issues” weren’t there when he was drafted mostly because He ran an absurd time for someone who’s 364 lbs, and showed good agility despite that. Then a report came in late in camp that he finished the season last year around 380. There wasn’t much about weight other then that. If there was an issue of weight, Saleh didn’t put it out there…anything else was trying to take a stab in the dark and make an issue about it. There’s no sense of trying to motivate thru the press with this staff and that’s a good thing to me. His “weight” was an issue when Lawson was beating him like a drum in camp. I surely don’t remember these issues when he was doing good in pass pro as a rookie with little training camp in 2020, with VERY few pass rushers having success against him.

Hindsight, this camp seemed like they really are trying to instill development with these players and to really hammer down this scheme they feel confident in. They stood pact with very little veterans in the CB room. They have been committed to the 2020 class as well, aside from Perine and Morgan and a little less from Zuniga, they’ve all gotten an opportunity to play and play a lot. I don’t expect the Jets to suddenly give up on the guys who’ve shown promise, but continue to work with them. Mims has been trotted out there time and time again despite his struggles. Ashtyn Davis has worked thru his and has shown what he can do and surely will be part of this team. I expect Becton to get his shot at starting at LT where he’s shown what he can do. Huff will be back.

There’s not going to be a sudden change of pace to get away from developing these young players when they’ve stayed the course all year.

MoWilkBeast, NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Stop posting stuff like this. You'll start scaring the homers.

REVISion likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I honestly can't argue with you on this conclusion. But I still do think that Douglas is a smart, skilled GM, so it puzzles me how he could draft two guys like Mims and Becton if he knew about these issues - and I assume he did (though I have no proof of that). My guess is that he was drafting players he thought would work for Gase, and then Gase was fired. Neither player really fits the offense the Jets are using now - although if they're professionals and put in the effort they should be able to adapt, and the fact that they're struggling is evidence that the fears about their commitment were well founded.

Last year's draft was MUCH better, and he seems to be targeting high character types, so I'm hopeful

11. REVISion

Yet Bart never misses a chance to trash Wilson, a guy who at least always says the right thing and has zero questions about his work ethic. He's a moron.

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

There’s no basis for this speculation outside of a tweet that says “could” This is what that guy does. Anyone could guess there’s coaches that would want to stick with fant and are aggravated that becton hasn’t been available. Hell, I posted on the first page of this I would have Becton battle for RT amd just like that, Douglas is just protecting his reputation and there’s battle lines and a rift because some guy tweeted he heard coaches are fed up.

13. REVISion

Are you kidding? "There hasn't been much there"?

Let's review just some of the red flags:

-Had weight and/or drug issues coming into the league, as evidenced by the failed combine drug test and Douglas talking about "personal goals" on the draft call.

-Becton suffered an injury during his first season which caused him to miss 2 games.

-Becton was seen on social media actively supporting a trade of Darnold before Darnold had been traded. This was both dumb and mean of him. Bad teammate and bad for Darnold's trade value if his own offensive lineman is supporting a trade of him.

-Becton came into last camp overweight according to Saleh and multiple beat reporters. Becton also suffered multiple injuries in camp, at least one of which (foot) probably exacerbated by his weight.

-Becton was openly fueding with LaFleur in training camp.

-LaFleur called out Becton for not playing well during camp.

-All of our beat reporters reported that Becton was getting lit up in camp, not just against Lawson but even against the backup edge rushers of teams that we had joint practices with.

-Becton plays relatively poorly in his one game this season and proceeds to miss the entire year with what was called a 4-8 week injury.

But yeah, we're all just Becton haters who are making up reasons to dislike him.

Brook! and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  14. REVISion

I don't buy the Gase excuse because there isn't a coach on earth who likes lazy players with bad attitudes, which Mims clearly is and Becton most likely is.

15. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Lol. I guess you can say I really don’t like the moves the Raiders have made in the last 7-10 years. If the hire Harbaugh and get Russell, I’ll probably come around (same goes for the Bears).

16. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Now how did he do his first season?

Him struggling in a new blocking scheme while coming off a foot injury he suffered around camp…suddenly does that wipe away what he’s done in actual games?

Also, Only one of those talked about aforementioned weight. That’s my thing.

Saleh did not say anything about his weight Besides this quote before camp basically saying the Jets need to find the right number for Becton to maintain his strength but also put him in position to stay on the field.

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2021/...aining-camp-robert-saleh-mekhi-becton-weight/

go ahead and find a quote that says Saleh has been concerned about his weight.

Costello wrote about him being 380. Becton admitted he was around 370. He hired a chef and was conditioning during the off-season.

Saleh- “Mekhi is one of those, he’s a young man, he’s a very talented young man, he’s a very large young man and he’s learning every day on what it takes to be a professional. And how to make that next step. We got a lot of faith in him, he’s doing all the right things right now and we’re excited to get him to the training camp and we get to work with him.”

Saleh has not bashed Becton to the press. And I’m not going to try to find and mince his words otherwise unless he goes And becomes Matt Rhule, that’s not his forte. Now in private that’s another thing…I’m sure the staff has told him what he needs to do.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Fant is 30 in July. Unless he is a really unusual talent he is likely to take a step down.

18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

He has only just taken the bloody step up :D

ouchy likes this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

They’ve drafted pretty poorly, and as evident by the decisions to invest a lot in Gruden/Ruggs over alternative options, they’re not the golden standard of franchises. But they’re competitive because they have Carr and despite regression on the offensive line, it’s still pretty good.

20. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Can we please slow down a bit here, I know guys want to use what happened this year with Becton to further their anti JD agenda.

However no one on this board bashed Becton or JD when Becton finished 2020, 2nd to Wirfs in run and pass blocking grades for guys in his draft class, he excelled in run blocking, and his pass blocking improved as the season went along.

The expectations coming into this season were incredibly high for him and now all of a sudden he stinks and there were red flags that JD missed?

Becton still has a chance to develop into a good LT, the only issue I believe exist is scheme fit, plain and simple.

MoWilkBeast and NCJetsfan like this.