Damien Woody on Becton..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Dec 31, 2021.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

https://nypost.com/2021/12/31/damien-woodys-warning-for-mekhi-becton-with-bust-whispers-starting/

No cut and paste. click if you have the time to read thru the article. Woody is telling it and I agree. Becton absolutely deserves the fisheye he's getting right now. We'll see what his dedication looks like in TC '22. Right now, not looking all that great. Hopefully his pride will drive him to drop some pounds and get into good enough shape to stay on the field. Not his fault he got injured, but eyes see and tongues wag.

Its all on the young man to prove he belongs in the NFL. Or not....

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Becton is a key piece for 2022. If he comes back in great shape, and plays at the elite level the Jets expected, the offense will be really good. If he doesn't, you have to hope Fant continues to play well at Left Tackle. If that happens though, then it is a pretty bad red mark on Douglas' 2020 draft. Looks like he hit it out of the park in 2021, but that 2020 draft is a little rough. I still believe in Becton, but he definitely has multiple red flags attached to him now. Do or die in 2022.

NCJetsfan and barfolomew like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

At the risk of saying I'm just making excuses for Douglas, the two biggest busts from 2020, Mims and possibly Becton, would be the result of them having less than full commitment to improving themselves. How do you predict that? From the film I watched of these guys before the draft, and the expert analyses, no one predicted they would show this flaw. There may be some way to discover this in a person, but it's not something that's easily seen. Maybe JD should've been able to predict this, but I don't recall anyone here predicting it.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I think mims and becton are both casualties of coaching change. Neither would have been picked for this offense.

I wouldn’t be mad if they kept fant at LT amd let becton and Moses compete for RT.

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Good point. Perhaps JD recognizes this and that's why he says he wants to draft guys who "Love football". JD also loves to draft team captains. Players voted captain are usually guys who have shown an extreme commitment and competitevness that their piers recognize. But ya, 'motivation' is probably the one trait that's the most difficult to put a finger on ahead of time.

#5 Footballgod214, Dec 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
    Pepsiguy5 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Mims is actually the prototypical WR for this offense. Even more so than Corey Davis. A big tall guy who can block and fight for the ball, with good edge speed. He has basically the same body type as Deebo Samual.

Its just, that's not how it played out for him here.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  7. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I have a mutual friend with a former Jets player, played in the 80s, they are very close. He still has remined close with the organization throughout the years and spends time with them.

When the Jet's drafted Becton the first thing he told my friend was "big big risk", has all world potential and all world bust.

As of right now, I am not a big Becton fan. There has been this sense of entitlement with him since he's gotten here, his pressers always cause drama (the LaFleur one earlier this year especially). You would think he has had Trent Williams's career with the way he talks on social media. I don't see him panning out.

That 2020 draft class is a scarlet letter for Douglas, there's no doubt about that, but this past class looks to be solid...and if he hits on this upcoming class--I can forgive the first flop.

Draft Evan Neal if he is there and resign George Fant. Let Becton have to fight for a starting job. You can always trade him during the year next year.

Jets79, Borat, Unhappyjetsfan and 2 others like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

Out of curiosity, can you find out from your mutual friend why the former Jets player predicted bust, or what he was looking at that brought him to that conclusion? Was it something that Douglas should've also seen? Of course maybe Douglas did see this risk but chose to gamble?

In any case, I hope JD has learned his lesson about rolling the dice. From the results of his second draft that looks like he may have.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I remember in the Jets’ draft film, the scouting department asked Bob what are some qualities/skill sets he needs for players to fit into his system. They killed it and got him what he needed. Logic says they asked Gase the same thing.

A behemoth of a LT
    A strong and fast (but not quick) WR
    A film room nerd back-up Q

These players were fits for the old system.

10. KingRoach

You think drafting in the top 5 so we can have 2 1st round picks battle to see who wins the RT job, is a good use of our reaources?

11. KingRoach

I read it as predicted bust potential… as we all predicted. As JD did… on his “congratulations, you’ve been drafted” call, JD brought up weight and discipline. All players come with some sort of risk. We all knew Ruggs was fast and I said there’s a chance his speed would kill someone someday. Sometimes players live up to their bust potential, sometimes they don’t.

#4 + Becton to the Jags for #1?

#11 KingRoach, Dec 31, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Looks like their could be an internal battle over Becton..

Very bad that the organization let this get out. Not that I think he had a ton of value but it definitely decreases with reports like this.

13. ColoradoContrails

NVM.

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I knew these guys were gonna Jets but I didn't think they would Jets so hard they messed themselves.

It's okay though because everybody thought we'd only win 4 games. Next year will be great.

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I put very little stock in that account. They do a lot of guessing disguised as reporting

HomeoftheJets and MoWilkBeast like this.
  16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Of course next year will be great. Its the time of the year when we convince ourselves that everything is good, and that most people only expected 4 wins this season anyway. Except the average prediction was like 7-8 wins.

REVISion, SOJAZ, K'OB and 1 other person like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Agrteed, and in fact, the opposite was said about both. I specifically remember reading about their work ethic, their character, their burning desire to be great, etc.

18. KingRoach

I believe there’s a difference between expectations and predictions. I predicted 11-6 but I expected much worse. The rookies are playing well and our top FA signing didn’t step on the field. We doubled our win total last year and we can do it again next year.

19. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

edit: hmmm - never mind, I may have been thinking of someone else.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

HE (not she) is full of crap! He's wrong much more than he's right, especially in his evaluation of players in the draft. The only reason he is still employed is because the industry doesn't seem to care how bad, inaccurate and wrong "analysts" are.

Losmeister likes this.