2022... Make or break year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Dec 19, 2021.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

My two cents for kicks and giggles. At the beginning of the season most here projected 4- 5 wins max. Surprise surprise we are at four in the midst of a massive cluster fuck year where we lost players left and right, We had excruciating growing pains from the coaching staff to the players. Our rookie QB, green as hell, was not held back, thrown into the fire, not once with all top players together, yet we still won 4 games against some tough competition, one with a back up no one wanted.
    Unfortunately now, the same four game win is considered a massive failure by all. I get it. Wilson did not meet some of the fans expectations. He hasn’t throw for 400 yards like the back up we did not want in the first place.
    Whatever, while not happy, I think in the mist of this perfect storm there is sufficient evidence to tell me that we have a few jewels in this team, younger than ever, great draft in 21. There might be hope after all.
    Sorry but I’m not ready to call Wilson or anyone one else in this years draft a bust at this time, not by a long shot. We just need more of them next year. No draft is perfect.
    Our pass history…….well I no longer give a shit. I look forward to next year.

boozer32, Borat, SOJAZ and 5 others like this.
  2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Douglas has never had an off-season heading into year two with his hand picked QB and head coach. It may be that he's a robotic turd who plays by hard rules and just wants to be frugal but my hope is that his approach will be tailored for the situation in front of him.

Everyone in the organization should have a solid grasp of what needs to change for the team to start winning in 2022 and beyond at this point. If they don't, they won't be for long here and rightfully so.

#162 WhiteShoeWillis, Dec 30, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    boozer32, SOJAZ, LAJet and 2 others like this.
  3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

You missed the post where be was going to spend like a drunken sailor to save his job, lol.

Cman68 likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Spot on. In addition, he had to learn perhaps the most complex offense in the NFL, play with a rookie OC who had never called plays before and who early in the season, did little or nothing to help him, and in fact often worked against him. He had a D that couldn't stop anyone, so he had constant pressure to score and usually come from behind. That with an offense with crap for TEs, WRs who dropped his passes in bunches, and horrendous OL play early in the season.

The truth is haters just want to hate. A number of posters here hate Zach, never wanted him, and they are actively rooting against him. Not all who were against drafting him are rooting for him to fail, but quite a few are. That's obvious by their posts.

Borat and cval like this.
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

LOL.. I need to see that one.. JD spending like a drunken sailer? I'd love to see that one day!!

6. Cman68

And that change will not come cheap either.

7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

It should be a transition year, not necessarily a make or break year. The 2022 draft will have a huge impact on how the team does next year. If JD can draft three or four players that can contribute immediately, throw in the development of young players from 2021 draft, the team should definitely be moving in the right direction.

Jets have won 4 games this year with so much adversity, poor QB play, Injuries, Covid, poor CS decisions on game day, if those things are minimized next year, a solid draft by JD, there is no reason to believe they can’t double the win output to 8 games.

I know the schedule is tough but good teams don’t worry about how tough their schedule is, they go on the field and take care of business.

FJF, NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. Cman68

and they don't make excuses...

REVISion, Red Menace and ouchy like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

I agree. The only thing I have some variance on is the bold. For one thing, the Jets aren't a good team yet. Even though I agree that is the attitude that teams must take, that doesn't mean that they're going to succeed in taking care of business when they're a young, rebuilding team that has to learn how to win. The Jets are playing what looks to be a VERY tough schedule next year. The NFL is fucked up from the way they don't really give teams that lost a lot of games an easy schedule the following season to their stupid scheme for tie breakers. Head-to-head play should trump everything if both teams wind up with the same record, or at least be a very weighted factor. Strength of schedule is a joke, because it can vary widely from week to week due to players missing games due to injuries and Covid. More and more, it looks to me like the NFL isn't genuine/sincere about parity. They want to give the illusion of fairness, but the deck is really stacked against bad teams and it's extremely difficult to climb out of that hole. I think the NFL cares more about "parody."

#169 NCJetsfan, Dec 31, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
    SOJAZ likes this.
  10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

He wanted to sign Thuney, so maybe he is willing to spend, just not on anyone. Remember how the Johnson and Bell contracts turned out? I don't think he wants another one like that.

11. NCJetsfan

In addition, he was having to clear several of Mac's bad contracts from the cap and still had Mosely's huge contract on the cap. He was being wise fiscally. Some posters are just grasping at straws in an effort to make JD look bad and themselves smart, but are only succeeding in making themselves look bad for conveniently ignoring facts and details of the circumstances. We're all tired of the team losing and want a winner, but continually attacking the best GM we've had in a LONG time, and maybe ever, is stupid and won't get us where we want to be any quicker, and in fact, if JD gets fired, you can kiss this team's ever getting better goodbye. We'll never hire another GM who was as qualified as JD.

12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Cman, My pitch fork is next to my night stand, I’m the one who was calling for Lafleur to be fired 3 games into the season. I have no problems firing HC or GMs.

What I presented were facts, I believe this team has a good blueprint for the upcoming draft and next season.

If we see no transition or progress and team wins 4 games, you know what my message will be when I sign on to TGG.

#172 Red Menace, Dec 31, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
    Cman68 likes this.
  13. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

I do not think that 2022 is a Make-or-break year. As many have pointed out, in typical Jet fashion and I might add Murphy's Law anything that could possibly go wrong, essentially did. I mean you cannot make this stuff up, LOL! As many have pointed out we want to win, and I do too BUT I'll add, I want consistency from the CS and players and if we get that, we will be more competitive. Will that translate into more wins, maybe - maybe not, but even if it doesn't, we can hang our proverbial hats on the fact they are heading in the right direction, i.e., 2021 draft vs. 2020 which seems to be panning out to be eerily similar to one of Mac's drafts, sigh.

I will say this thought, JD better be very astute in FA, meaning targeting the correct players for the schemes we are running esp on D. Likewise, let's hope he can duplicate his 2021 draft with another one that harvests good talent. Finally, as CC and others have pointed out he has a plan, build through the draft - and probably augment through FA. This requires the FO and CS being in sync similar to last year's pre-draft meetings, i.e., where they meet and discuss the type of players this CS need to succeed. Otherwise, it will be another painful year in the Twighlight zone we call, JET FAN base.

PS... Borat and others stated there is a potential to double out win total... that would be wonderful but being SOJAZ, I hope for the best but expect the worst.

Red Menace likes this.
  14. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

NC,

I really don’t believe that the Jets run a complex offense. It’s true that ever since LF went upstairs things have definitely improved.

The defense is atrocious, and I have no idea how the DC still has a job. This is the problem when one hire’s their friends as Saleh did.

The blame must go all around including Zach when he was performing terrible. The proof was how the offense performed under 3 other QB’s. The last game was Zach’s best in my opinion. He managed the game, and won. Personally I don’t care about yardage, completion percentages, or TD’s. He won the game.

Finally, I really don’t believe that any Jets fan roots for Zach to fail. By the same token I am not one of these rose colored glasses dudes that are ready to enshrine him in the HOF. You well know the challenge of being a Jets fan.

Let’s all hope that JD can have another good draft, and Saleh learns how to be a HC. If they do that, I believe that Wilson will progress nicely. Please do fire the DC at seasons end though.

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  15. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Yep. Before this season all we heard was how easy this offense was to learn and how QB friendly it is. Now that Wilson has played poorly it's suddenly the most complex offense in the NFL? Come on.

papapump and Br4d like this.
  16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The notion that "we weren't actually rebuilding in 2020 because we didn't have this coaching staff" says a lot about the mindset of the sunny side. We went from year 2 of a rebuild and arbitrarily reset it to year 1. The truth being, since we did such a horrible job in 2020, we shouldn't expect much in 2022.

HomeoftheJets and Br4d like this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

NVM

bicketybam likes this.
  18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

And this line of reasoning extends into 2022 and 2023... Which is how Matt Millen became a laughingstock.

ouchy likes this.
  19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is clearly one of the most QB-friendly offenses around. That's the only way to explain Mike White, Josh Johnson and Joe Flacco, three markedly different fairly mediocre QB's with different styles all prospering in it almost immediately.

Zach Wilson on the other hand has made it look terrible from day one and the only reason he is still out there at this point is that he has refused to make any throw into a tight window since he came back from the injury. He's afraid of the picks that would cost him his job and in return for not throwing them he has given up the scoring potential everybody else found in it.

HomeoftheJets and REVISion like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

The articles I have read, and I believe Saleh and/or LaFleur was quoted in some of them, state that the Jets' offense IS a very complex offense and it takes several years to master. Why do you think so many WRs have run the wrong routes, and RBs and TEs blown assignments? It's because the players didn't know the system well. One of the reasons that it is complicated is its flexibility. With many, if not most, NFL offenses, out of an alignment one either runs or passes, and the number of options/variations is limited. That isn't so with the Jets' offense. I'm pretty certain that earlier this season, perhaps even during TC, someone posted an article here about our offense and why it was complex and harder to learn. Some of the players or coaches were quoted. So I have to disagree with you that the Jets' offense isn't complex. I agree that since LaFleur went into the booth things have improved.

Nepotism is everywhere, in every profession. People want to work with or have people working for them that they like, know and trust. That's understandable. It happens with every NFL team and I'm pretty sure that it happens with every college team as well. It's a small world in any profession, and people get to know each other.

The D has been bad, there's no question about it. That said, I don't think anyone could have done much with the players that we have with this scheme. Once the Jets committed to playing this D scheme this season, I don't believe that it was feasible to switch to something else once all the injuries started piling up. To begin with some of the D players aren't all that talented, aren't a good fit for the scheme, and don't have the skills needed at some of the positions. Then they're learning a new system, that is also complex. That's going to have them thinking too much, playing slower as result, and not as well. This D alignment is predicated upon the front 4 getting a lot of pressure on the QB. When Curry never got healthy and Lawson went down that changed everything for the D. Then on top of that, Huff got injured, Blair got injured, and there were other injuries to the DL. Then Davis, Sherwood and Nasirildeen all were injured. Then every S we have starting with Joyner, got injured except Davis, and he was recovering from injury and missed all of TC and preseason I believe. We are now at the point of signing street FAs and players off other teams' PS to get new starters at S. How can any coordinator expect to succeed under those circumstances???? I don't think it would matter if Saleh took over the D as some here want. For that matter, I'm not even certain that Belichick could have done anything with this system and this collections of players we've had on D this season. I'm not saying that Ulbrich is any good. He may not be if we had 11 Pro Bowlers starting on D, but he really has had no chance this season. Once again, the foundation of this D scheme is for the DL to get a lot of pressure on the opposing QB. When that doesn't/can't happen, the rest of the D has no chance.

Yes, Zach shares in the blame, but he's human. He's had a lot to deal with and adjust to. I don't need to spell all the things that have worked against him this year. One thing I'm certain of is that he has given his best and busted his butt to get better. I'm sure that he's very disappointed in his play this season. I feel very confident that he will be a MUCH better QB next season, even if JD doesn't add another quality WR, a quality TE or two, adds a quality RG, and upgrades the OL depth; however, I expect JD to do those things, so Zach should be the least of our problems next season.

I'd like to believe that no Jets fan roots for Zach to fail, but I cannot. I've seen to many irrational comments with unrealistic expectations, too much unwarranted criticism from the time he was drafted, and believe I've posted here long enough to know how some of these posters think and act. I won't name names, but if I were a betting man, I'd bet that at least 5 posters are rooting for Zach to fail so they can claim that they were right and were smarter than the rest. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this issue.

I think JD will have another very good offseason with both FA and the draft. It will be interesting and hopefully fun seeing the additions he makes. I'd like to believe that Saleh will learn and improve. I sure hope that he will learn how to be a good and successful HC, but I'm not holding my breath on that. I think a lot of the luster has gone off his hiring, and I'll be curious to see if any FAs still want to sign here after seeing what a poor job Saleh did this season.

papapump likes this.