2022... Make or break year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Dec 19, 2021.

1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

The guy probably has a family. You didn't have to go and murder him in broad daylight.

2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

That is a fair point, but a lot of this talent is young and underdeveloped yet, and also having to learn all new schemes. With the injuries on top if it, I actually think roster this and last year is comparable, and Saleh doubled up on Gases wins. Even at QB - I definitely think Zach is more talented than Sam, but Sam was in his third year, and Zach struggled as a rookie until recently. Moore as promising as he looks, only had a few good games, then got hurt. Mims also showed some promise last year. Davis as I already showed in another thread played on par with Perriman last year, maybe even worse, then got injured. We got AVT (rookie), but Becton who played well last year, got hurt. And with all that offense is still better than last year, when it was by far the worst in NFL: #32 by wide margin to #21 today in yards.

This year defense lost Maye, who was there last year, and all the new signers basically. We have bunch of late draft picks there a lot of whom are young and are developing. With that said, I think defense could do better, and Gregg Williams is a better coach than the DC we have now. Gase had nothing to do with defense though.

So, talent wise, factoring in developing youth and availability of players, I think it is comparable, and Saleh doubled up on Gase. Not great, but still he did more with about the same. I expect that youth to do A LOT better next year and some of the guys who are hurt to play, plus infusion of talent in high picks, which JD has been stockpiling.

#142 Borat, Dec 30, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If we regress back to 2 wins next year, Douglas's record will be 8-42 (he shouldn't get credit for the 7-9 season in 2019). I don't know what the worst record of all time for a GM after 3 seasons is, but it wouldn't surprise me if 8-42 is it.

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

If we regress to two wins next year, JD will be gone. I think it will be more like 8 wins though next time around. We doubled form last year, and I expect a double again next year.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

Darksider scenario that nobody's brought up yet as far as I know. Douglas knows he can't afford another 4-13 season, so he spends like a drunken sailor this offseason. This gets us a .500ish season next year, he keeps his job, the team regresses back to 4-13 a year or two later because he's still a bad GM, and we've wasted a couple more years only to give the new GM nothing to work with. There's a disturbingly high probability of this happening and the Johnsons cheering it on as it happens because as they've shown time and again they're too stupid to understand people's incentives.

SOJAZ, REVISion and ouchy like this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

I agree but see my above post for why that might not be such a good thing.

7. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

JD spending like a drunken sailor. Ok :D

8. HomeoftheJets

Everybody has a plan until they think they're going to get fired if the team doesn't win now.

REVISion likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If this was Macc or Idzik, maybe the "drunken sailor" meme would be apt, but Douglas hasn't shown himself to be a big spender - if anything, he's maybe a little too cheap, and he hasn't so far been swayed by public opinion, so whatever he does, it's going to be according to his plan. I'm still a believer that his plan will work, but the team needs to start winning more than 4-5 games next year.

SOJAZ, HomeoftheJets and Borat like this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The good thing is that Woody doesn’t really put a lot of pressure on his employees to put a successful product on the field.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

An 8 win season where Zach takes a significant year 2 jump and the losses are mostly competitive wouldn't be the worst thing.

12. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I may be completely wrong, but Douglas doesn't strike me as the type to abandon the vision he has for this team in order to save his job. He's got what? A 6 six contract? He's getting paid no matter what. I believe that he believes he is on the right track and has the length of his contract to get it done. I guess we will see.

13. HomeoftheJets

I hope you're right. And that could be one good thing to come out of that 6 year contract.

14. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Short of a monumental collapse, 2023 will be the make or break year. Expecting 2022 to be make or break is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Saleh will get his three years, unless we see another two or three win season in which the team implodes.

SOJAZ, FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

When you finish 30th or worse two seasons in a row and still have one of the worst rosters in the league, you don't have a vision.

Ralebird and SOJAZ like this.
  16. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Really have to wait and see what the offseason brings with the draft and FA. Its not just with the Jets but our rivals as to which teams improve or decline. Right now the Jets are clearly 4th in the division and the other teams all look pretty good going forward. I will say Zach will probably end up being the 2nd best QB in the division if he can improve. I am not really impressed with Tua or Jones. I think what you see with them is what you get. I don't see either one getting that much better if at all.

17. HomeoftheJets

I think Tua is what he is at this point (a below average but competent starter), though that's still definitely better than what Wilson currently is. I can see Jones getting better though because Belichick and McDaniels really know what they're doing. If the Jets give Wilson a fair shot in terms of surrounding him with acceptable talent, I think there's a halfway decent chance he becomes a good starter, though I'm not at all convinced this is going to work out. My guess is one of Lawrence, Wilson, and Fields ends up living up to his potential.

18. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I'm with you CM I'm just seeing the passion or the will to win with this team and if that is the goal then they all need to leave. Question who is the Great White Bargain Hunter?

19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Not for a bunch of nickels

abyzmul likes this.
  20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

JD.. Master of saving Cap cash simply by not spending it..

boozer32 likes this.