2022... Make or break year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Dec 19, 2021.

1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Is it pessimist or darksider?

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

This is why I hate even discussing football with Homers. I'm not being angry at all. Just tired of trying to get thru to homers like you that you can indeed appreciate other teams in their execution and you don't have to ALWAYS find excuses why the Jets fail at so many football related things. SOJ Fans exist because the SOJs exist. There will always be a new excuse for homers like you to trot out every time this team fucks up. Hell, keep on trotting the same old excuses year after year as that's what makes you a "Real Fan" aka: "Homer"

You are a homer. Your constant excuse making screams "homer". Your unwillingness to hold this CS accountable for anything is characteristic of a "homer". Next year it will be same old excuses. They're too young, too inexperienced, too new, too everything. No wonder people are dumping their PSL's like timeshares. They're tired of the BS. As long as there are "Real Fans" like you that can excuse the losing, the Jets will always have a reason why nothing changes. They will continue doing the same things over and over again expecting a different result and you, being the "real fan", will enjoy watching it.

SOJAZ, HomeoftheJets, abyzmul and 3 others like this.
  3. Cman68

No, but at 4-11 what's the point of the remaining games? Getting your young QB as much experience as possible. If that means creating situations for him to deal with, so be it.

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

except i'm not a homer lol. homers wouldn't think it's going to take 2 more years to compete. homers think our team is great all the time. overrate our players, and blame random stuff for losses. I watch a lot of team and film on the jets and sometimes film on other teams too but not as often. The issue with only focusing on the jets is you get no perspective on other players to compare it to just stats and wins which don't always tell the whole story. what is it i'm saying makes you claim i'm a homer? becuase nothing I have said so far is even close to being homer talk.

We have a brand new coaching staff. 1st time HC, 1st time OC, 1st time DC. new system. players that doesn't really fit it. rookie QB, youngest roster in the NFL. it's gonna take time to get it all up and running. rome wasn't built in a day. it's not an excuse to take an objective look at a situation. It's easy SOJ talk to see a bad record and trash everyone with no understanding of why. You claim all this stuff but offer no resolution. the reality is as you said you are tired. you aren't being objective or fair or resonable. you are just venting out of frustration and nothing I can do about that.

the sad part is that you don't realize what you are doing is the same thing we always do and why we have sucked for so long. wanting to redo everything year in and year out. the best teams have consistency in the FO. look at all the top franchises they have consistency in the FO meanwhile we don't and never have. this is the 1st time in a long time it feels like we possibly have the right people in those positions. so we have to just give them a real chance to show they are the right people.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  5. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Over the last decade have the Jets seasons made you feel like you were too optimistic or not optimistic enough during the offseason?

For me I've almost always felt like I was too optimistic. The product on the field has almost always disappointed relative to how I felt they should perform.

As sad as it is the darksider mindset has usually been the correct one with the Jets.

Everyone roasted Brad during this offseason for saying this season would largely be a dumpster fire and he has turned out to be almost completely correct. I disagree with him on drafting Wilson, I think it was the right move, but he's been just about spot on regarding everything else. And he was saying these things while 80% of the board was attacking him for it.

6. bicketybam

You probably won't believe this but my 26 year old son thinks I'm the biggest pessimist there is when it comes to the Jets, specifically their QB's.

As a kid, he was the biggest Mark Sanchez fan. I never thought the guy was good and we argued all the time. I was so happy when we finally moved on from that loser.

His next hero was Sam Darnold. I don't watch college football so when he told me how great he was and if we got the chance to draft him it would be a dream come true. Sure enough we draft him and my son was ecstatic. During his 3rd year I was done with him. Same mistakes over and over. We argued to the point where he wouldn't even talk football with me, lol. When it came time to decide on whether to trade him or extend him, it was war. I wanted him gone. It led to the classic text I still have on my phone :D (see attached)

So now we come to this past draft. I told him I was open to either Wilson or Fields. At first he was leaning Fields but then he went all in on Wilson, convinced that Fields was a "one read QB." I kept my stance and when they drafted Wilson I was happy for him and prayed we made the right choice.

This whole year he has claimed that I am constantly "shitting on Zach." That's because I call it as I see it. I told him the Saints game was one of the worst games I've seen a Jets QB play. He gave me a boatload of excuses. I've criticized Wilson constantly.

All year he sent me stats and quotes from Twitter, etc. excusing away any bad or possibly bad performance (He likes to send me stuff preemptively, lol). I keep telling him to knock it off. He is what I call a Homer. He has an excuse for every bad outing or play.

I am not a Homer and I resent being labeled as one. I call a spade a spade. I try to be a realist. Douglas....the first draft looks awful. Perine is not good. Mims is a rock head. Morgan in the 4th? Yikes. I'm not ready to give up on Becton though. If that make me a Homer, whatever. I think Douglas did well in his second draft, although it's very early.

My assessment with Wilson is that I expected him to be better than he has been. But I don't think he's the abject disaster some here feels he is. I think he is held to a different standard than Fields and Lawrence. Do I think he's been great or even good? Not really. But some of the criticism is just over the top. And I do think he is improving and I love his makeup. It's not easy to play in NY.

I am far from a Homer. I was a season ticket holder for 25 years. I tailgated at the last game of a that abysmal 1-15 season in 1996. I consider myself a diehard and a realist. I'm just not at your level of despair :D [​IMG]

HomeoftheJets and cval like this.
  7. bicketybam

I never thought we were going to be good this year. We won 2 fucking games last year. Kudos to Brad for saying we won't win may more this year. Like he was the only one. Come on.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. bicketybam

I once floated the idea that Saleh was presented with the directive from ownership that wins and losses weren't important, that it was about installing systems and getting the players experience. I got roasted for it. What you are proposing is treating the last two games as practice situations. Are you drinking? Be honest :D

Cman68 likes this.
  9. REVISion

I don't think anyone thought we'd be good but I think most of us expected us to be better than we are. We're going to win 4 games total this year with an extra game on the schedule compared to last year. We have the worst defense in franchise history and the 2nd worst point differential in the NFL. We got blown out by the largest margin of any team in about 60 years.

All of this after getting rid of a guy (Gase) who was largely considered the worst coach in the NFL and getting rid of the worst starting QB in the NFL in Darnold.

10. bicketybam

I think there is a thread that has us predicting how many wins we would have. Too lazy to look it up but if so included were there a lot that had us at 5+?

11. REVISion

Yeah I want to say most people predicted somewhere in the 5-6 win range.

Regardless though, we're probably even a bit worse than our record indicates given how awful our point differential is. We're the 2nd worst team in the league this season behind the Jaguars, after being the 2nd worst team in the league last year. We haven't improved in any notable way really. Our defense is far worse than last year and our offense is slightly better.

I think most people expected that Saleh, at the very least, wouldn't be worse than Gase but that doesn't appear to be the case. They are about on par with each other so far and we know for a fact that Gase was a horrendous coach.

There's also the fact that Saleh has a more talented roster than Gase did so we should expect the final product to be better than it was with Gase. We have objectively more talent at RB, WR, OL, CB, LB and DL than we did last year yet we're not a better team.

The darksiders have unfortunately usually been correct about the Jets.

SOJAZ likes this.
  12. bicketybam

I'm not so sure Salah and Gase are equal. I definitely need another year. Gase ran the offense which was terrible. Saleh doesn't run the defense.

Last year's 2 win team, with a 3 year starter at QB, was awful. I'm don't think this year is worse. It's not much better but I didn't expect it to be. And last year had more talent on defense, just for the fact that they were healthier.

Borat likes this.
  13. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Well maybe Saleh should run the defense then.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  14. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

The Yiddish is strong in this post. LMAO.

15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Look you can have that as an opinion but please don't come here and expect people to agree with you. Wilson has thrown the ball 330 times this season - how many have been complete for over forty yards? A handful hardly prove your claim. There has been nothing "elite" about his performance this year and a cannon is not a weapon of accuracy.

If you need to make references to Sam Darnold to support your position, you have already failed - you're not claiming he was ever close to being a franchise quarterback, are you? Neither is Wilson. Talk all you want about what you see as accomplishments, but with the elite and FQB comments you are getting way ahead of reality.

SOJAZ likes this.
  16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I had five; must have been caught up in all that irrational exuberance that was going around. That and wishful thinking.

17. Cman68

Might as well get something out of the dual ass kicking's we got coming. Get a jump on the '22 training camp with live practice scenarios in real games. :D

SOJAZ likes this.
  18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Narrow minded homers usually get roasted on this forum for narrow minded homer ideas. It is known.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Good post. It's apathy not anger. Maybe you are angry when they miss the playoffs 2 or 3 years. But after 10,11,12 years it's a different story. They suck,no more excuses

SOJAZ likes this.
  20. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Bicketybam you sound like me. I become a Wilson defender on these boards because of the agenda-driven takes on him. He has not played well this year but has had moments and has flashed the potential.

He has to take a jump next year and it is really not an unrealistic expectation. For anyone that has ever played a sport and has gone from one level to the next year 2 is so much different than year 1 and he had to go from amateur to pro, playing the toughest position is sports.

Zach will be judged soon enough. I think it has been proven that Sam was not the guy so if we were going to take a QB the choices were Zach, Fields, Jones, Lance. To me when situations are taken into account Zach has shown the most thus far.

Let's hope he plays well the rest of the season and comes out next year on fire.