GAC -Mock Offseason 1.0

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Dec 21, 2021.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

well luckily enough it's a good TE FA class and draft. I'd like to add 1 (a FA and raft one) and resign kroft and those will be our 3 TEs and yeboah can stay on the PS as a 4th

boozer32 and mrjet80 like this.
  2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I commend your effort and level of detail on this matter, plus I'm not at all knowledgeable on the talent the 2022 draft has to challenge any of it. But I know this much. Good teams are perpetually good because the strength in the trenches is nurtured year after year. Once that breaks down the team falters no matter how good the rest of the pieces are. So in my view, once again, we need major help in that area, OL and DL/LB. We were porous on and off all year long. I would expect a high emphasis thru the early draft rounds and free agency in that area. Starting with a safety as the first pick, as badly as we need one is not the way to go in my opinion, even if we have to trade down. I want to see once and for all a superior OL and a DL that no shit is capable to stop the run and rushes the QB with success. When was the last time we have seen that with the Jets? Hell I can't remember since Abraham in D and Mangold/Brick in O.
    If we achieve that, with complimentary solid additions at safety and TE, with maybe a WR that knows how to run routs i would be very, very happy.
    We have some young talent in the making, but the trenches need to be rebuilt to make them successful.

mrjet80, westiedog1 and Noam like this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

I do agree with you but the safety is an outlier because he's that good. he's too hard to pass up on if one of the top 2 edge guys aren't there. I address both the d-line and o-line with 1st and 2nd rounders as well. we also get lawson back on the d-line. so adding an edge in the 1st plus lawson is a huge bump in the d-line. as far as o-line goes, we have 2 1sts on the left side (becton, AVT) already, a solid C in mcgovern, and fant at RT who has been great. RG is the only need and I address that in the 2nd. there is no other spot for a rookie to start on the o-line other then RG. I did grab a potential future RT to replace fant as well in the 5th. Also remember I did a no trade draft, i'm not against trading down at all depending on how the draft goes. Ideally though if KT or hutch fell to us at 4 and hamilton fell to us at 7 that would be amazing. outside of that i'd be happy to take hamilton 4th and trade down after that. the 2nd is full of players that fit our needs like OG/TE/RB/WR/ etc. safety is weak after hamilton though IMO

Noam and LAJet like this.
  4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Thanks. Good thought process. Becton worries me from a longevity perspective and getting in proper playing shape. Im big on getting a C soon for the future with McGovern more of a floater to Guard/ back u center eventually. Also depth is huge for us so there are opportunities there. You are spot on if KT and Hamilton fall to us. Even Thibodeaux and Neal would be amazing, no doubt there.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

becton is worrying for sure but his injury this year was a freak injury that could happen to anyone. it's the healing time that has been an issue. what should have been at worse a 8 week injury turned into the entire season. Still i expect him to be ready for next year and start along with fant. add in AVT, mcgovern, and a rookie RG. depth will be edoga, mcdermott, a rookie at OT and feeny, clarke, and maybe LDT at OG. should be good with that group.

MoWilkBeast and LAJet like this.
  6. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

What exactly was the Becton injury? Is it possible they fucked up the timetable? Honest question.

cval likes this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

MCL and cartilage damage. had surgery sept 21st. expected recovery was 4-8 weeks meaning the latest was nov 16th. we are now 6 weeks past that to the day. which means 14 weeks and counting. still hasn't practiced either. at this rate he likely won't be ready for much until mini camp

8. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

likely infection

9. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The best friend of a young QB is real good TE and the Jets are desperately in need.

With the growth of Zach the o-line, Moore and Carter I am not worried about our offense if we can secure a good TE.

We need to concentrate on defense to have any chance to win games consistently. If we can get our defense to average I think the offense will thrive next year.

There is a lot of people on this board that do not understand complimentary football

10. GasedAndConfused

IDK i'm not a doctor but if that was the case why wouldn't they just say that? it seems he just heals slow, could be because of his size and him not staying off of it? couldn't really tell you

11. GasedAndConfused

yup they average fan doesn't really "get it" at times for sure.
    as far as zach goes a good TE will help a lot. it's something worth us investing into for sure as our TE group is trash overall.

cval likes this.
  12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

@GasedAndConfused Thank you for this write up....always interesting.

So our conversations about Joe Douglas being good or bad, we'll know for sure in a year when he's got only 1 first round pick (hopefully late), 1 second round pick, so on. Pretend for a second we are there now. We have one pick in the first, say in the twenties. Who'd be that ONE GUY u'd draft to make a big difference? 2nd round?

Just curious! Thanks.

13. GasedAndConfused

if we only had a pick and it's mid 20s?
    i'm not really a fan of that position for this draft and our needs. depending who fell maybe ojabo?
    we have too many holes for 1 2nd rounder. with our 1st 4 picks we really need edge, TE, and RG. the 4th can be a BPA depending how the draft falls. I think we need an edge in the 1st and RG/TE in the 2nd so the extra 1st can be a BPA of need really. We also need LBers and safties and probably a late round WR

14. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Do we really think Douglas values the safety position enough to take one at #4 overall? You better be taking Ed Reed if you try it. Given that threshold, it's best to not even try.

Doubtful IMO.

15. GasedAndConfused

I don't think he does personally but I do know he values blue chip players. it's why he traded up for AVT. AVT was the last blue chip guy in the draft according to JD so he made a move to get him. IDK who JD will have as blue chips this year but i can assure you hamilton is on that list. Ideally if things worked perfect for us, hutch or KT will fall to 4 and hamilton falls to 6/7 with the seattle pick. those 2 would solidify a very weak defense. in the 2nd we can get a TE and RG to help the offense. then with the 3rd and 4ths we can get LBer, maybe RB, and a WR. after that we can try for a developmental lineman like eze

16. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

It's early yet. We'll likely have some team looking to get into the top 5 for a QB which will either push one of the top pass rushers down to us or give us an opportunity to trade down. Even a blue chip safety shouldn't be a top 10 pick because it's not a position that moves the needle much unless, again, Ed Reed.

Jets79 likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

he has that ed reed potential. he'll help the run defense, pass defense, and create turnovers. he's worth it if it makes sense.
    it is still too early for sure but not much else to discuss right now lol

18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I have t followed the college players so I don’t know as much other than generalities I pick up, like Hamilton is a great player, etc etc

that being said, I would not love taking a safety in the top 5. I just wouldn’t…not an impact position.

Ed Reed was a pick in the 20s if I recall…and I remember because I wanted him in that draft and we took Bryon Thomas instead, if I recall correctly.

in any case, I’d rather go Edge, OL or WR ahead of safety…I agree safety is a huge need, but I think Edge OL and yes even WR are just a big and potentially more impactful. We can’t have Wilson throwing to scrubs week in and week out if we’re to determine if Wilson is even the guy. I thought our WR group was very good coming into the year, but Davis was so-so even before he got hurt…too many drops…Mims who I though would progress has just flat out disappeared, and then injuries to Crowder and Moore have left us short. I like Berrios a lot but he’s a great #4 or even #3…I expected more from Cole, but when thrown into a starting role, he hasn’t shown the ability to deliver, so he’s a #4 type too. I’m a bit concerned about Moore…he’s good but has had trouble staying on the field too.

and our OL is far from set…don’t know what the fuck to expect from Becton, but a guy who takes all year to recover from a 4-8 week injury doesn’t strike me as a guy who LOVES the game and will do everything to play…think Adrian Peterson when he came back from an ACL injury less than a year. That was work ethic, training, and will. I’m not sensing that from Becton, and last year he had a lot of nagging things that cost him time as well. I would not shy away from an OT in this draft because I don’t feel like we can count on Becton. I’d be fine keeping Fant at LT and drafting a solid RT, and then see where Becton fits in, if anywhere.

and edge…well you can NEVER have enough pass rushers. I have no idea how Lawson will look when he comes back from the Achilles…it’s possible he may never regain that explosiveness, so I’m assuming he doesn’t make it back and drafting accordingly, and then when/if he comes back that’s a bonus that we can certainly use.

so the sad part is that we used free agency for Edge, a #1 pick for OT, and a #2 pick for WR, and yet I don’t believe those positions are solidified, so we need to address again.

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the cop-out! LOL, JK. But having a single pick in each round is just around the corner. We've been spoiled by the wealth of high draft picks. Most bad teams, teams worse than ours, have just a single pick in each round. That will be our lot soon enough. Even in 2022 when we still have a ton of holes everywhere on our roster! Just thought it'd be fun to pur our GM hats on and pretend the time has come to pick that ONE player to change the team for the better...I guess we can wait till next year!

20. GasedAndConfused

I understand your sentiment, but sometimes you have to play it where it lies. if you have a choice of ed reed or braxton berrios with your 1st who do you take? there isn't a WR worth taking that high this year. WR class is solid with depth in the mid rounds but nothing top end.