is 2022 an Open QB competition?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Royal Tee, Dec 26, 2021.

?

If we acquire another QB or the ones on the roster are balling Would an open QB comp be accepted?

Poll closed Jul 26, 2022.
  1. ZACH IS THE F&*^% STARTER NO MATTER WHAT!!

40 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. Open QB where best man gets the job

30 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. Bench him and make him learn it & earn it.

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Don’t give Douglas any ideas. We don’t need a James Morgan scenario again. Still mind-bogging to this day.

Royal Tee likes this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

There has to be. You really want another season where its a struggle to get out of last place?

it is going to be a great offseason for veteran acquisitions by the way

3. BroadwayAaron

What was the last team to invest a very high first round pick in a QB only to have them replaced by a backup a year later? And what team did it work out to be anything more than a one year fix for? I can’t even give you an example of the first scenario so I don’t have an example of the second.

and I’m not saying we don’t need a viable back up. We absolutely do. Not just because we need someone if Zach goes down but Zach does need to feel pushed. But there’s no way in hell any team would start a one year stopgap veteran over their second year first round pick.

4. BrowningNagle

So just hand the job, no questions asked, to the 32nd ranked QB and wish for the best?

top 10 pick in 2023 at least :(

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Shartch for Arch. The Mannings can't dodge us forever.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

https://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

Can’t believe the Jags are just gonna hand over the starting job to the 28th ranked QB like that. And the Bears, what are they thinking?! The worst QB in the league and they aren’t gonna even entertain a QB competition?! Even golden boy Davis Mills… what a turd! But he’s just gonna start?!

like I said, no team is bailing on a 2nd year QB for a veteran stopgap. There’s no precedent for it and no other team in the exact same position as the Jets is going to do it, so why rag on the Jets for not doing it?

Jets-N-Terps, PJ4Ever, cval and 3 others like this.
  7. BrowningNagle

the Jags bears and texans are all terrible. Terrible teams make terrible decisions, let's join them and do the same. Your argument in a nutshell
    --

Russell Wilson wants out of Seattle. But we have our 32nd ranked QB here and nobody ever gives up on a QB like that

Ralebird likes this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

You’re just being purposely obtuse. As soon as you can give me one example of a team moving on from a highly drafted QB in their second year in favor of a veteran stopgap, I can start taking this seriously.

And Wilson is a horrendous alternative. He has been below average this year, you’re going to have to trade multiple first round picks to get him, the team he’s coming to is worse than the team he left and you have to pay him $37 mil then $40 mil over the next two years. For someone who cares about rankings, it’s weird you’re rock hard to go through all of that just to get the 19th ranked QB. What’s not to love?!

9. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

That's because woody is a feckless twat who's had everything in his life handed to him. If woody ever had to compete for anything in life he'd lose.

10. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Fact is, the way the preseason is handled with only three games and very limited appearances by starters, it's almost impossible to run a fair QB competition. It's all based on contract years, and the salary. There will not be a QB competition in 2022. No way in hell. In current times the high pick gets two seasons to show he does not suck. If he does suck, the fanbase tosses away two more years and we try it again. We just witnessed that with our last QB. What competition was there for him?

11. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

there arent many examples of this because teams almost always buy into the sunk cost fallacy

zach, lawrence, and fields (who i liked coming out) are in terrible company. heres a list of rookie QBs that have put up QBRs in the 20-30 range ...

jamarcus
    sanchez
    josh freeman
    stafford
    gabbert
    ponder
    clausen
    weeden
    bortles
    ej manuel
    kizer
    trubuisky
    rosen

every team sans one would have been far better off replacing their young QB after one year

due to the environment around him, zach isnt a completely lost cause. he should have a chance to win the job. but at the very least, a viable starter needs to be brought in to legitimately compete with him

Ralebird, Brook!, Royal Tee and 2 others like this.
  12. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

The time for a QB comp was this past summer. Once they didn't have one, it's pretty much a given there won't be one this upcoming camp. I think some of it has to do with that 5th year option. You want as much information as possible before you make that decision. I would have sat Wilson this year and had him compete for the job in 2022. Assuming he wins it, that gives you 3 years to decide. Horse is out of the barn at this point.

13. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Zach has shown me that he is worthy of being the starter. He's far from a finished product but he hasn't had a full supporting cast all year either. I don't know if he actually had AVT, Carter, Moore, kroft, Davis all playing at the same time.

14. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Pretty much where I'm at.
    AORN, only Zach can get himself benched.... and that's more of where the question is.

If he plays horrible the last games and in pre-season then there has to be at least a short leash because no way in hell do you let him stink it up AND kill another season
    But as I said, it would have to be pretty bad.

PJ4Ever and cval like this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Who would he compete with?

Would it be with a veteran who is considered young enough and good enough to take them to a SB in the next 3 years? Who would that be? And even if you could find that QB how much do you think he'd cost you? Sorry, I don't think this is a realistic option.

Would it be another rookie, just taken in the draft? Who would that be? And what pick would he come at? If it isn't with the first pick, the odds of whoever it is being better than Zack drop considerably. And if it is the first pick, how do you have any more assurance that the guy you take is better than Zack and here you've gone and bypassed adding some valuable talent at another key position to take this gamble. Do you REALLY think Douglas, or any GM would take this approach? Not likely.

Would it be a retread veteran that you sign? Who? And what if he does outplay Zack in T.C. and P.S.? Do you sit Zack and interrupt his growth and hope he learns from the bench? Do you play Zack anyway and have him looking over his shoulder after every mistake he makes? This is the most likely of any "QB competition" approaches, but given how Douglas made a big point of how ALL the Jets personnel people wanted Wilson, do you really think he's going to give up on Zach after one season where so much of the things around Wilson went south?

When will the time come when the Wilson haters here finally accept that he's the QB for at least 2 more years, and start rooting FOR him instead of against him?

cval and bicketybam like this.
  16. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Awesome

bicketybam likes this.
  17. PJ4Ever

Do you even watch the games?

18. PJ4Ever

Lol @ getting Russell Wilson, who’s been truly awful this season, and giving up on their #2 pick after one season where he’s shown solid growth in the 2nd half of the year.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. BrowningNagle

Great post.

I think teams are still in the backwards mindset that they were in prior to the rookie cap. When you drafted a rookie QB and he cost a high percentage of your salary cap before he takes a snap, then yeah, you need to make sure he plays. These days, even the no. 2 overall pick makes peanuts. So you have the flexibility to pay someone else to challenge him. And they never do. Its dumb. They let opportunities pass them by

Ralebird and All Gas No Shake like this.
  20. BrowningNagle

yeah Russell Wilson really sucks, you are soooo right

HomeoftheJets likes this.