Zach vs Trevor

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rscherwin, Dec 26, 2021.

1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

In their last eight games... Zach Wilson has thrown 500% more touchdowns than Trevor Lawrence.

Case cwosed!

barfolomew and cval like this.
  2. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

Answer to this:

Trevor is a much more polished pocket passer than ZW. I like his long term potential a lot more.

3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

agreed…he did what was needed to win, and he made plays with his legs which is a good crutch for a rookie QB.

I wouldn’t say he played great … I don’t care how you spin it, 100 yards passing is not a great QB performance. Efficient? Ok. Game manager? Ok. Great? Not a chance

still it’s semantics…we won the game and that’s what matters. Mac Jones has done this more consistently. It’s ok. For a rookie, it’s ok. I really wish we’d have seen more over the year…better accuracy, more TDS, etc. but it is what it is. Some of it is the crap around him but a lot of it has been his own shit performance in throwing in the dirt or behind guys.

hopefully he’ll get better.

and as to the we never have the ball comment due to our defense, I’m not buying that excuse either. Sure our D sucks balls and can’t get off the field, but we’ve had way too many three and outs. How about this? How about if our D gives up a 6 minute drive for half the quarter, how about when we do finally get the ball back, how about we actually get some first downs and keep the ball ourselves?

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This is pretty hard to do with Berrios as your # 1 receiver, and other guys who shouldn't even be in NFL, while constantly being pressured due to porous OL and substandard TEs. No one will have a great game in this situation. What Zach did was remarkable given the circumstances, it really was. There are two games left, and the are not going to be easy given the top defenses we are playing and the fact we have a depleted roster, which wasn't very talented to begin with. If Zach can somehow avoid multiple INT outings and manage these games while making some good plays here and there, that would be realistically best case scenario even the best QBs in NFL would be able to master in this situation.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

“What (Wilson) did yesterday, not making any crucial mistakes, made some plays with his legs, they ran the ball, they had no (expletive) receivers to throw to in the football game basically, I mean come on. That was a damn good win for the Jets. It really was.”

This is EXACTLY what I was saying. It's not that Wilson came out there had a great day of 300 yards and 3TDs, but he was in a position to fail having no one around him, and somehow ended up with a good day, scoring 2 TDs, not turning the ball over and ultimately winning the game. All while nothing to work with. His best receiver was McDermott.

Take a look at the tape:

VERY clean performance. Out of all the throws the worst one was the second one where he forced it to Mims, and DB almost made a pick. Now, it would have been a spectacular catch by DB, but still, Zach needs to be more careful. Other than that, he had drops by Mims in the end zone, drop by Kroft where he hit him in the hands and he almost lost the ball for a pick, drop by Smith, where he hit him in the hands in stride. Zach also threw the ball away once, and hit a guy in the helmet, who was getting up and Zach couldn't see him, it was basically unlucky more than anything.

Then there was one play where he had a defender running at him and missed an open guy for a short gain. Take a look at that one: 1:30. After reviewing it several times, it looked like he didn't want to throw it over a lineman and wanted to lead the receiver a bit to his right. A mistake, but hardly a bad one. Everything else was money - given shit he had to work with. That's why even though passing numbers don't look spectacular, I for one was really impressed.

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

To your point, look no further than Jones versus Buffalo game one with 3 passes. Yet NE beat Buffalo, fans were happy with Jones performance, even though he did diddle compared to what Wilson had to do to score. Wilson has a way to go no doubt, but IMO the standard for Wilson success criteria by some Jet fans is a bit ridiculous considering the tools he has to work with.

8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

How many yards do you think were left in the table assuming he doesn't throw any errant passes and Mims and the other guy (Smith?) make those catches?

Borat and cval like this.
  9. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

It's hard to judge a QB's passing game when the team runs for 273 yards.

barfolomew likes this.
  10. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

barfolomew likes this.
  11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Who wins in a steel cage match?

12. cval

cval Well-Known Member

No he is not but think what you will.

13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

You have to understand football I guess and the make up of this team. Every team has three and outs and does not usually cost you the game.

If your defense is giving up scoring drives on every play your offense has to be perfect and that is just unrealistic.

The Jets defense is giving up much more than 6 minute drives.

Borat likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

15. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

A lot of you guys know I'm not a huge Wilson guy (especially @JackBower haha), but I will say Wilson held his own against TL this past Sunday. It made our win more bearable from a tanking perspective to, rather than winning despite Zach.

Wilson made better decisions than Lawrence for the most part. Protected the ball better under pressure.

I still think Lawrence was a more consistent thrower of the football than Zach for the most part, although he did make a couple of ugly over and under throws.

Wilson looks a little more settled down lately, which gives me hope going into next year. Another year with the same coaching staff, more talent around him a full offseason of training instead of draft prep.

I still like Lawrence more in terms of a prospect, but my stance is the same. Zach is owed another year before any of us should be talking about drafting someone else. I want to be proven wrong and hope he ends up being the better QB.

Having this win over Lawrence is something he needed and the fan base needed.

We should should add another arm to camp going into next year--Foles would be near perfect.

Cman68, Borat, Jets79 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

"But if any game in NFL history has ever proved the futility of getting the no. 1 pick, it was this one: We saw the two teams blessed with top draft position last year, and neither one has notably improved. It’s easy to get excited about having the no. 1 pick; I imagine it’s harder to get excited about having the no. 1 pick and still being bad enough to get it again."

Jets79 likes this.
  17. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Lawrence had his HC fired and is getting one of the worst OCs in the history of the NFL grooming him and calling plays… along with one of the dumbest owner of all time as well… If he gets a seasoned HC that brings a legit staff I could see Lawrence flourish as he is an absolute stud prototypical QBs. He’s basically John Elway 2.0

Wilson has a awesome edge to his game I really like. He’s got fire in his belly and I like that. I like his release a lot I see ARod in flashes. Wilson needed time to develop but we rushed him in like Peyton and Aikman were rushed in to play right away on bad teams. In that scenario there will always be growing pains and I think Wilson has done a decent job. He has lots of time to grow because some of the flashes show me a FQB that could even be elite with more weapons and a better team in general.

#77 Rockinz, Dec 29, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
  18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

We’ll see

personally I’m concerned because I think we’ve seen more bad than good. Yes there have been a few flashes here and there, but we’ve seen more throws in the dirt or behind guys or over their heads. And that’s without pressure. It’s a legitimate concern.

that being said, he’s got a shit team around him, and lately, literally 4th and 5th receivers to throw to, and he’s managed to not throw picks. So that’s definitely improvement. He made some great plays with his legs which is nice but doesn’t alleviate my concerns around his mid-50% completion rate, which has not really improved much throughout the year.

it is what it is…I think he’s shown some promise, but I don’t think you can look at his sum total performance and be convinced he’s the FQB we’ve needed for so long. You can hope and point to flashes here and there, but it’s still in question, at least to me.

I do think we need to see him next year with a better supporting cast around him…I wouldn’t bail on him yet. But at some point, we have to see it on the field instead of pointing to so many excuses…well the OL sucks, well the receivers drop too many balls, well our defense gives up points every drive, etc. there are many. And they are real. But at some point, a true FQB elevates the team around him…not saying I expect that out of a rookie from BYU…but at some point we need to see a few great games….we’ve seen less than 200 yards passing and mid 50% completion like two or three games in a row now…I get the bad receivers and shit, but at some point, he’ll need to do better. That will hopefully come next year…hard to expect it going up against TB and Buf with scrubs behind him…

This is also why, despite the crap defense, this offense still needs A LOT of help in the draft…we still need OL, TE, another WR. We’re not done yet, and if we have to evaluate the QB, we need to give him a legit chance…we need to take away these excuses of bad OL and bad WR and bad TE…

19. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

He's a pretty big QB though.

20. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

He coached scared in the final minutes as if he was fighting the Jets history to screw it up and that’s exactly what wound up happening.

If only that first kick had another 6 inches either up or over slightly hit that damm bottom corner of the upright …. Then the subsequent INT would of sealed the game……ugh

#80 mrjet80, Dec 29, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2021