New York Jets WR Denzel Mims i̶s̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ has run out of time

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Dec 12, 2021.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. the reality is, based on the undescribed standards you have and little info you are basis your conclusion on, even we had prime megatron at WR you';d claim he was a borderline 2/3 WR due to being tackled at the 1 too often and being too tall to go over the middle. Then you make up random random stuff that makes literally 0 sense to double down on it. davis incosistent with tenn? that's a joke. his lack of yards was due to a run 1st offense. he was a great blocker (part of the reason JD wanted him for this system) as well as had the highest catch rate in the NFL and highest 3rd down conversion rate in the NFL. he was the only player in the NFL last year in the top 25 in yards that did it with less then 100 targets. over 75% of his catches went for 1st downs, over 50% of the time the ball was thrown to him, it went for a 1st down. his drop% was 3.3 which was lower then guys like kupp, thielan, diggs, ridley, metcalf, tyreke hill, mike evans, tyler locket, aj brown, lamb, and a whole bunch more. how in the world is that inconsistent? on top of that, realistically a WR1 is set by the filed. anyone in the top 32 WRs would be a WR1 by definition which can vary from year to year. by you saying that davis is a WR3 you are essentially saying that at minimum there are 64WRs better then him and up to 95WRs better then him.
    On top of that he isn't paid as someone about to breakout in their prime. galladay was paid that way. davis is paid as a solid WR2.

the same core is going to be split up but yes i'm suggesting that moore and davis are fine at the 1 and 2 spot and they idea that you can predict injuries is insane. davis has never missed time. not counting his rookie eyar he's only missed 3 games in 3 years with tenn. him missing 8 games with us this year is a fluke not an expected outcome.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If we cant judge it for 3 years then why are people already saying it was a great draft? Again, we said that at this time about last years draft.

Carter is good and I like him. However, he is about at the talent level of where he was drafted. He was the 5th RB taken and so far he looks like maybe the 3rd best RB drafted, ahead of Etienne and Sermon, both of whom have had injury issues.

stinkyB likes this.
  3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Both Davis and Moore spent decent time on IR this year, yet predicting possible WR injuries for next year is insane? How about last year when Sam had top WRs injured for a while. How about a game we are about to play against Bucks who also have top WRs injured (surprise?), and yet still have Antonio Brown as contingency? And with COVID, depth at premium position is a must. Look at your own definition of insanity, and reason accordingly. I don't know what JD will do next year, but I sure hope his logic is better than yours. And that logic suggests we need another #1 WR, plus some depth of actual NFL players, not Montgomery's and Smiths. Like a guy like Perriman could be at the end of the bench.

As far as Davis, he will be making 14 mil next year, and a lot of it was because of some of good stuff you described that he did last year in run heavy offense. However, he was not considered a top tier receiver in NFL, and the contract was with the expectation that he is not a star yet, but could be on the verge of becoming one. That unfortunately did not happen. Without run first offense and being a prime passing target, while he made some nice plays, he also dropped lots of balls, caused INTs, and fumbles, and never even reached 500 yards. Then got hurt for half the year. Overall, a disappointment, no matter how you spin this, and next year we need to add another top #1 WR target to him and Moore plus some depth if we want to avoid what happened this year with receiving corps.

4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

The sad part of all this is that even with the huge bundle of picks we have, it STILL feels like it’s not enough. How is that even possible?

you can make legitimate arguments for using top picks at OT, OG, WR, TE, DE, LB, And S. Oh…and you can probably add CB to that list as well.

it’s literally unbelievable how bad this roster is…mostly 2nd and 3rd tier talent. There are precious few players on our team that could start for the contending teams…maybe Q, maybe Moore, shoot maybe even Bryce Hall is looking like he’s on that path. Outside of that it’s pretty bleak.

unbelievable

5. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

The Cowboys also have the best guard in football in Zack Martin. Ironically enough he was drafted #16 overall. So much for that terrible value of a guard.

Red Menace, Mogriffjr and PJ4Ever like this.
  6. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

When you draft like shit for 10 years and don't keep anyone, literally anyone, you are basically starting new. JD took over an expansion team roster. This was not an overnight fix, it still has a couple years of fixing if done right.

7. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Exactly, we really need to wait another year to even judge 2020. But after Year 1, 2021 looks damn good. Carter has the 9th best yards per touch in the whole league this year. Underrate him at your own risk - dude breaks a tackle every play.

mattyd99, ouchy and cval like this.
  8. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The two teams you mention happen to be two of the teams who have spent years building on the same blueprint, drafting and signing and trading for players who fit their "style", and when they need to replace guys, they get the same type of players. This is the approach that Douglas is using, but it takes time. Instead of renovating the "house", he decided to break ground and build from the foundation up, all new. That takes more time, but in the long run, the house is much stronger.

That said, he needs to show much more progress next season - at or close to .500 and competitive in almost every game (most teams have a stinker or two, even playoff teams). If we see another 3-4 win season, he's probably done.

MoWilkBeast, PJ4Ever and Borat like this.
  10. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

Mims blew my mind this year... I wonder what the deal is...

he looked like he could be a solid NFL WR last year

and now?? mamma mia!

Thing about CD was he never had this problem w/ drops b4... prsssure of the contract?

I dont see where Berrios is a significant drop off from Corwder

11. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Mims looks lost and defeated.

Jets79, Jojo, MoWilkBeast and 2 others like this.
  12. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

How many drops does Davis have. How many times did he drop passes. He drops a lot.
    Hes a #2 ...thats my opinion, and I like him when they get a #1 to do some mismatch slot work.
    Hes no #1...not to me

13. GasedAndConfused

injuries are random. IDK who you think is a WR1 in the NFL since you have no actual reasoning behind it unless they are a jet then they are not a WR1 in your eyes, but injuries are random and unpredictable. perriman was awful i'd rather have jeff smith back there then him the brown thing was a fluke, plus TB isn't rebuilding they are loading up to win a superbowl we aren't comparable to them. 2 different situations.

You just are unreasonable and off base to the point your posts almost seem like trolling

14. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Stephen Hill was a better WR than Mims.

15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

"Insane, unreasonable, trolling" - for not thinking as highly about Davis as you are. This just shows you are not capable of processing another point of view no mater how logical. For example, I mentioned Perriman as someone I think could make sense at the very end of the bench. You come back that he is trash, yet here is a fun fact: he actually had more yards (and less drops and TO caused) in the season he had with the Jets last year than Davis just did this season.

This is not to say that Perriman is better than Davis, just that a guy like this capable and proven of producing 500+ yards when called upon is the standard I have for the very end of the bench. Tampa has this standard too, and I think it will do Zach and the Jets well to bolster WR corps. Davis to me has a lot to prove after a disappointing season he just had, and for starters I want to see him produce a lot more than say even Perriman has for us before declaring WR position as all set at the top like you have.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

thats the thing. I know your not, and i know your not dumb, maybe it's a language thing and what you are trying to get across isn't coming out the way you expect people to take it. It has nothing to do with thinking highly of a player or not, ti's your reasoning behind your conclusions. it's like if I told you ice cream is delicious because spiders have 8 legs. sure ice cream is delicious but it has nothing to do with the amount of legs a spider has. there is no logic in what you are saying. I have no issues with dissenting points or debate but you can't have a conversation with someone who isn't making any sense. your comparing the yards a WR got in 16 games to another with 8 games now? that's my point. it's an awful stance to take. do you want to try again here?

17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Let's just put it this way: we agree that one of us was completely illogical and does not make sense in this debate. Let's leave it to each person reading to decide for themselves who that is.

As far as as Perriman he was injured a lot too, he didn't play in 16 games, nowhere near that. He played 12 to Corey's 9. and was injured in some of these games too not being able to complete. They ended up with same number of targets (60) for the season, and Perriman had more yards and less drops and fumbles. And I am talking about Perriman as end of the bench guy, while you are happy with Davis as prime target.

Btw, did you notice that this is yet another guy Jets had who ended up injured, forcing Sam to throw to even bigger scrubs? That means that all our top receivers missed prolonged time, like Perriman, Davis, Moore, Crowder. Including the guys you said should be at the top next year. Care to reconsider the stance that it is "insane" to prepare for possible injuries and it actually makes sense to stack up top with another prime target?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

perriman isn't worth a roster spot. he's garbage. your 6th WR typically plays special teams, he doesn't. you do you man but if you want anyone to believe you, you need to make a real argument instead of quoting random stats. the issue is you come up with a conclusion based on nothing, then go out and attempt to prove yourself right. that's not the way a consluion works. it's the cart before the horse and you end up looking poorly on it.

If you just told me you watched davis and don't think he's good that's fine, but to have to make up nonsense stuff and pull random stats to try and prove it to me and likely yourself so you can convince yourself you must be right, doens't do anything and offers no debate

19. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Not that anyone has forgotten, but Wesley Walker is legally blind in one eye. He would manage to get a bead on the ball on instinct and catch it in stride often across the opposite shoulder. It was amazing. I also hear tell he's not doing that great health-wise these days. : /

Anyway, Mims isn't legally blind in one eye as far as I know.

EDIT: I just had to do this. Of course I was there.

#199 jetophile, Dec 29, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
    Red Menace likes this.
  20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The issue is that you see only what you want to see and ignore everything else in the process. Of course I watched Davis play, that's how I was able to tell he CAUSED multiple INTs for Zach this year. Had a lot more drops too than noted in the drops stat line, which was still bad. He wasn't shore handed, and ended up a disappointment. You can put Perriman down all you want, but if you look at his season last year, and Davis' season this year, the sad reality is that they are very comparable, because Davis underachieved and disappointed. Will he be better next year? I sure hope so, but we need another great WR and some depth plus a good TE for Zach and the team to succeed next season. And also to learn if he is our FQB.

At this point we are going around in circles and you seem to be utterly lost, while fully confident you know the way. You are proposing to basically stick with what we have at WR, even though we just had this movie play out in front of us, and Zach had McDermot and Barrios as his top receivers last week. You are not capable to learn from mistakes, listen to reason, and make progress. I am confident JD will. Come back to admit you were wrong when JD picks up another prime WR and does the things I suggested in this conversation.