New York Jets WR Denzel Mims i̶s̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ has run out of time

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Dec 12, 2021.

1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Those teams usually have really good WR's too though, and the numbers indicate that WR's and the guys who cover them have a greater impact on wins and losses than the guys in the trenches. You can overcome a bad OL with proper scheming and WR's who do damage after the catch. You can't turn bad WR's into playmakers though.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

well that's like your opinion. to me moore is a solid WR1, davis is an above average WR2. I agree berrios isn't a WR3 and is more of a 4/5 but deserves a roster spot becuase he's also a great special teamer and he's reliable and doens't get hurt. we can fill the WR3 spot in the draft or FA. it's not a high need though. plus this draft doesn't have any elite WRs in it. it's a solid group but olave is probably the top WR in the class and he's not even as good of a prospect as moore. the only reason we were lucky to get moore so late is last year had 3 elite WR prospects in waddle, chase, and smith. after them the giants whiffed by taking toney over moore (thanks gettleman) and the ravnes wanted a big body WR for their system so took bateman over moore. we got lucky. in most years a guy like moore goes in the top 15-20. If moore came out this year he'd likely be the top WR taken or at worst the 2nd one taken.

getting a TE that can catch would be a big help to zach too. lots of good TE options in the 2nd round and a good FA class of TEs. we can easily add a top 2 TEs and keep kroft and have a solid group of 3 TEs to go with the WRs.

3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

There are countless times Davis dropped the ball and caused INTs as well because of it, then fumbled the ball too. Then got injured for half a year on top of it. There is no way this guy is above average #2. He can't be. He is a #3 guy in my book, and his drop #s and (lack of) availability back that up. Moore dropped because he is 5-9. I like him, but I don't know too many great #1 WRs this short, and I can't count on Moore to be one. To me Moore is like a Santana Moss. Good player as #2, but not #1. We need a big #1 dude to compliment him, and WR is a premier position, hence need to be a priority. Plus depth and more depth. At the very least I want a guy like Perriman was for us - at the end of the bench, nor Smith or Montgomery. Ideally Berrios is #6, who earns his keep as a special teams player and occasionally plays in case of injuries, which surely will happen.

As far as draft for WR, I am intrigued by Jamison Williams. He is putting up insane #s, similar to Jamar Chase, but without a QB like Burrow to through to him. Again, not sure if he is our guy, but at least he caught my eye - would like to get a take of these who watched him play a lot.

4. REVISion

Agree 100%.

We also badly need a TE. TE is super important and we've acted like it doesn't matter at all for most of the last decade. We truly are an unfathomably dumb franchise top to bottom.

5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yes, we need an impact TE or two, look at Patriots who have a pair of good ones, which greatly helped out Mac Jones. I am thinking this could be addressed in free agency. Darn, JD has a lot of work to do with off season.

ColoradoContrails and REVISion like this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

i mean getting hurt doesn't not make you a WR2. thats a lame argument. I'm pretty sure you've listed mike evans as a WR1 right? you know he's lead the league in drops several years. tyreke hill is 4th in the NFL in drops and he's a WR1 oh and he's been hurt too. deebo samual is also tied for 4th in drops and been injured a few games and is a WR1.

and now moore isn't a 1 because his height? lol it's not madden. tyreke hill is the same size and a WR1. deshaun jackson (when younger), steve smith, wes welker, julian edleman, deonte johnson. just because he's short doesn't mean he can't be a WR1

7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I’m not dismissing the WR aspect, I want a couple of good WR too, however nothing happens without a good offensive line.

The Cowboys are a good example of a team that built the oline first and then added the skilled positions on a yearly basis.

They ended up with Micah Parsons, if it were the jets fans this board would have wanted them to trade down from that pick for more picks and mediocre players.

8. REVISion

Mike Evans has 7 straight 1000 yard seasons and regularly scores double digit TD's. Davis has never eclipsed 1000 yards and has never gotten more than 5 TD's.

Tyreek is the fastest and quickest player in the league. That's why he excels despite his size. He doesn't excel because he's tiny. Deebo is among the best YAC receivers in the NFL and is a huge threat in the running game too.

Moore can be a #1 receiver, sure. But the vast majority of #1 WR's are guys with elite physical traits that can consistently catch contested balls on the outside and are definite red zone threats due to physicality. That's not Moore.

9. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Michael Carter? You’re, as I already stated, out of your mind. And who cares what they are this year? It’s Year 1 - can’t judge a draft until 3 years after, 2 minimum. But you’re the only Jet fan not excited by Carter the Rb, he’s a damn stud.

NCJetsfan, KY Jets Fan and bicketybam like this.
  10. REVISion

The Cowboys have their best offense ever this year with their OL in decline relative to previous years. That's due largely to the fact that they have two elite WR's in Lamb and Cooper.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

"number 1" is a subjective term and it's honestly kinda dumb.

Look at Deebo Samuel in San Fran, 70 rec 1200+ yards, 5 TDs, and hes still got 2 games left. Is Deebo Samuel a no.1 receiver? The hell if I know but those are pro bowl level receiving numbers so yeah, I guess he is one today. Does he have "elite physical traits"? can he "consistently catch contested balls on the outside?" is he a "physical red zone threat"? The answer could be NO for all three but with 1200 yards and counting who cares.

I think Moore can become Deebo Samuel, that's not a bold statement

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You are reaching here comparing Hill and others to Davis. He has triple the # of yards. Davis hasn't been good when he played, and then got hurt mid year. This just was not a good year for him. How can you even compare him to Hill who has 1200 yards on the season and just made pro bowl. As far as Moore, I am not saying he can't be a #1, just that we can't assume that when building a roster. Santana Moss is a good comparison, and he has ways to go to get to that level. If he does beat the odds, and we end up with another #1 too like Robison or Jameson Williams, then it is a good problem to have: TB certainly didn't suffer from having two #1s.

#172 Borat, Dec 28, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
  13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

A possible WR target.

14. GasedAndConfused

davis has been plenty good. he has uncharacteristically had a lot of drops this year from a WR that dropped pretty much nothing before but he has played very well in for the most part. more then well enough to be called a legit WR2. on top of that he's been a proven WR2 for tennesee for a few years before coming here so to say he's not something he's been for the past 5 years is kinda insane based on 1 season where he missed time with injury

15. GasedAndConfused

i know what evans has done but the person i replied to tried to say davis isn't a number 1 soley on drops and being injured which is an insane argument and you know that. same with the other 2. even the best WRs get hurt and have drops here and there. to use those 2 arguments to disqualify someone then DQs the entire NFL. you completely missed that point apparently

16. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

I said at the time it was either a horrible indictment of the staff, or a horrible indictment of Douglas that Mims was a healthy scratch early in year #2. I think it's obvious now it's the latter, or at least whoever was responsible for the 2020 draft. This year's draft looks so much better than last year's, you do wonder how much Gase influenced the 2020 draft.

17. REVISion

I think Deebo is basically the best possible outcome for Moore and it would be a great outcome.

Having said that, the 49ers are still a mediocre offense overall.

The best offenses in the league currently are:

Cowboys
    Bucs
    Bills
    Chiefs
    Colts
    Rams
    Bengals
    Chargers
    Eagles
    Cardinals

7 out of the top 10 teams there have multiple elite receiving threats. The teams that don't have very good running QB's who largely make up for that deficiency. Unless Wilson turns into Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson we are going to need another elite receiving threat, whether it be a TE or WR. Davis and Moore aren't enough.

Cman68 likes this.
  18. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

In an amazing turn of logic, a good chunk have moved into hating on Wilson.

Mims rookie year was solid with great potential
    Zach is a bust who can't compete a 5 yrd slant

#178 JackBower, Dec 28, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
    bicketybam likes this.
  19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Insanity is an interesting word, often being thrown around by these who actually fit its definition. So, keep that one to yourself. Davis was never a great player and had been inconsistent for the Titans. He was paid as someone about to enter his prime and break out, and didn't. And it wasn't just because of injury. Instead had a disappointing season for the Jets, having caused bunch of TOs, drops, never reaching 500 yards, and injured for the year after 9 games. By no definition this is someone I want to rely on as #2 target next year. You are basically suggesting to keep same receiver core and expect a different result. Actually that would be definition of insanity.

I want another prime target in addition to Moore and Davis. We need one badly. If it was not obvious to you after last weekend that we need to bolster the corps, you will never change your mind. And if we do get lucky and Moore and Davis both play great and stay healthy, plus we get another #1 type target, then that's a good problem to have. I don't recall Tampa Bay complaining about that, do you? We are about to play them, they are down top two receivers (both true #1 types mind you) and we still have Antonio Brown to contend with. This is the level we need to strive to get to.

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  20. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Moore does have elite physical traits and is well on his way to being a number 1. As far as red zone threat a good TE can take of that and to be honest Lafleur has to get better with his play calling in the red zone.

With that being said if we can grab and elite WR in FA I am all in it will.make Moore that much better . IE what Diggs did for Josh Allen. If I had to choose TE first then defense then WR. I would not draft a WR high instead see if we can land someone in FA.