New York Jets WR Denzel Mims i̶s̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ has run out of time

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Dec 12, 2021.

1. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Comparing a rebuild on the Jets, who have been out of the playoffs for over a decade and the Pats who had one bad year with a load of players sitting out. Yeah, that's comparing two entirely equal situations. Yes, you can rebuild a roster after one or two mediocre seasons (if you think rebuild is the right term to use in that case, which I'm not sure I do) but you sure as hell can't strip it down to bare bones and rebuild from the ground up in one or two seasons.

2. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

It is not getting easier for the Jets even if they draft well and improve through FAs. Bills are still a prime team. Dolphins now winning and in the playoff hunt and showing solid balance on both sides of the ball. NE, they’ll continue to figure out to win, and one of these days will come crashing down but when? Jets could improve the next year and two but they have a make a huge leap to get to playoffs. A daunting task.

3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Douglas needs to come out of 2022 draft with another 3 legitimate starters. Another OL, DE, and LB.

Lawson will be back, Corey Davis will be back and hopefully Wilson and this CS will be much improved.

ColoradoContrails and apjbfc like this.
  4. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

He didn't suck when he played when gase was coach. Yea he was injured, a lot of wr get those injuries. Nope they hate him he hates them this is punishment. From a dumb ass coaching staff that could've got SOMETHING for him at trade deadline. Nope. Dont showcase his downfield abilities so you can get something, just dont play him so you can cut him and get nothing.
    He sure made some nice catches early on when he played. Its a pissing contest, with CS that was a colossal waste of time.

5. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

time.
    Corey Davis is NOT a #1WR...More unreliable than mims. Drops lots of balls, always hurt...he surely isn't worth what they paid him .

6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If he doesn't belong in the league, why hasn't he been cut? It can't be that much dead money.

7. Red Menace

Cory Davis and Mims should not be in the same sentence, Mims is going to be out of the NFL in about a year, Davis is not.

The fact remains the same, Davis is coming back and will have Moore next to him.

8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

* trade back and then take best WR available

9. Red Menace

That’s how they ended up with Mims, no more trade backs, take best player on board with your pick.

Thats how I would address the draft.

Sack exchange likes this.
  10. Red Menace

Gase had a different offensive scheme, and only asked receivers to know their route tree.

This new offensive scheme tasks their receivers with a lot more responsibility and it’s not a good fit for Mims.

I’m hoping he does learn it but so far he just has not done enough to show CS he is a good fit.

Maybe the best thing that can happen to Mims is that he is released and can go to another team with a simpler offensive scheme for him to learn, or maybe a veteran staff that can help him save his career.

Jojo likes this.
  11. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Lol ok

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You’re asking the same question I’ve been wondering. I’m a big fan of cutting bait sooner rather than later. But I guess he wasn’t hurting anyone as they tried to salvage the pick as the 6th receiver in a lost season.

13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I don't see any WR's that are "worthy" of a top 7-10 pick but there's gonna be 4-5 that go in the mid-teens to mid-20's range.

Things could change, they always do, so I might change my mind on this but as of now I would look to trade down from SEA's pick and try to get 2-3 more premium picks for 2022 and 2023.

14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I don't think expectation of not being a bottom feeder in NFL for the 3d year in a row (I am not counting JDs first year when he joined late) is unrealistic, baring some really extreme situation like Zach being out for the year or something crazy like this. Yes, the roster was bad, but that was 3 years ago. JD had a chance to pick a FQB in QB rich draft, who will be in the second year and is expected to take a leap forward. He had a chance to build oline and get WRs. Get a coach of his choice, who will also be in the second year.

Yes, JD did make some good moves, and I am a big fan of his. At some point though we need to at least stop being a laughing stock of NFL. I am not saying make play-offs or be fired. But to do something like what Miami is doing for last year or two, win 7-8 games and show progress is not an unrealistic expectation for next season.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree that we need to stop being the laughingstock of the NFL. I've been a fan of the team since '64 and there's been MUCH more losing and being an embarrassment than there has been winning and pride. I was just pointing out that there always can be extenuating circumstances and that setting hard, arbitrary deadlines can cause one to cut one's nose off to spite one's face.

You are one of the most positive, and imo, best posters on this site, and one of my favorite posters. I was truly surprised to see you make a post with an arbitrary win total. My post wasn't meant as criticism. I was just trying to remind you that shit happens, as it frequently does with the Jets. I'd hate for the Jets to fire JD just when things were starting to turn around, especially since he is the only thing that has given some of us any hope the last 2-3 years. I truly think it would be a colossal mistake to automatically fire him in a knee-jerk reaction if we don't hit a certain win total next year. We would need to thoughtfully and carefully look at all the details of the season, see why the team lost, and then make an informed decision. Here's another scenario: the Jets are a much improved team, they play hard and smart, give every opponent the fight of their lives, but wind up losing all but 4-6 by single digits. Are you still firing him then? What if the D is still the problem, not because of lack of talent, but because Saleh refuses to change his scheme or fire Ulbrich?

16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You are right, there may be extenuating circumstances, but to clarify: the number of wins I mentioned as an example is not meant to be a hard deadline, but more of a guideline, which is to at least be in the hunt for play-offs, and not be one of the worst teams in NFL. I really feel that in JD's 3d year that's the minimum target. Now, if we do win only 4 games again, we would have to examine these extenuating circumstances really closely, because no matter how we slice this, JD at the very least will be in the hot seat. 4 games is a very low number out of 17 games, and to do this or less 3 times in a row is a pretty terrible result, even if you did start the rebuild 3 years ago. Think about this, as bad as the Jets history has been, the only time we won 4 or less games three years in a row was 75-77, where we won 3 games each season, and that was out of 14, not 17. So, I really don't think I am out of line to set the guideline above.

And I understand JD inherited tough situation and could not have predicted some of the things. After Becton's first year, no one expected he may actually turn out to be a bust - it was more like he could end up a Pro Bowler this year. Even Mims showed some promise last year, and now looks worse than practice squad guys - he could not have expected that. Davis also was supposed to be a breakout WR, not a league leader of dropped balls. Now, however, JD knows the risks, and I expect him to add a true #1 WR and another good OL player. I expect him to address the defense, which he now knows is the worst in NFL. Not to be the best in NFL, but at least to the point where it is not a swiss cheese. I am confident he will do it, and yes, I am optimistic about next season.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The dolphins stripped their roster down even more than us, and after 2 years they finished 10-6. They followed a traditional 3 year plan, just like Buffalo did. Both of these teams did it with way less resources than JD had.

We follow a slapdash cobble plan. JD is no team builder and he should not be allowed to continue.

18. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Mims may be out of the league soon, but will get other chances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red Menace likes this.
  19. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

You’re out of your mind for wanting to fire JD after this draft he just had.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

That draft was a team building debacle.

Using our most valuable draft spot in forever on a fools gold QB.
    Using 3 top picks to add a single lineman.
    Getting what would be backups on most teams in the mid rounds - and the reason they start for us is because of a crap FA period.
    Yes we got a good WR with the 34th pick. That didn't take much talent, and is his second attempt at a round 2 WR.

People are still seriously over rating this years draft. This time last season we were doing the same for 2020. The shine will fall off this draft soon enough. If we took the smart rebuilding path our current roster, and our future, would both be so much better.