New York Jets WR Denzel Mims i̶s̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ has run out of time

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Dec 12, 2021.

1. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

He’s out of time. He needs to be cut.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see if the Jets give him another chance in TC. He has ruined whatever trade value he once had. I'm saddened and shocked by him. He was so good in college and showed promise last season. He has definitely played his way off this team. I don't know if he totally lost confidence in himself, is too dumb to learn this offense, or developed a mental block towards LaFleur and Saleh, but I suspect it's largely the latter, and may be equal parts all 3. Whatever the case, he has turned into a bust to date. I think I'd give him one more chance in TC, but if he doesn't come to camp healthy, in great shape, knowing the offense, and showing MASSIVE improvement in his route running and play, then I agree that he should be cut.

Jets79 and Borat like this.
  3. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I think a large portion of the issue with Mims is that he told the coaches he's not interested in being on special teams (my speculation). He doesn't want to play special teams and they don't want a fourth string WR on the gameday roster that they can't put on kickoff coverage. If this is true, I think it's foolish on both the part of the team and the player, but it is what it is.

Jojo likes this.
  4. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Seattle's pick should be best WR available

KY Jets Fan, Trainer and REVISion like this.
  5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I was a big fan of his, and wanted coaches to give him a chance, but the guy just doesn't belong on the field anymore. Whatever the reason for that is, I am not sure there is a way back for him. With trade value gone and the season is almost over, I agree, might as well give him a shot in the next camp before cutting the ties. What's disappointing is that with him busting out and regressing from last year, Zach has nowhere to throw the ball, which hinders his development. Just a bad situation all around.

Even more disappointing is we could have just had Claypool, who went with the very next pick before we traded down and settled on Mims. That was a big miss. JD really needs to get WR position finally right next season.

6. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

I know looking at Instagram is always an odd one, but Mims only has 8 posts since he was drafted and 4 about the jets. Not even 1 of him playing ball.

He doesn't look like he puts effort on the field and part of me just thinks he got his rookie deal and maybe just gave up? Every team looks for players who love football and I'm sure some players just get drafted, get some money and just can't be bothered.

I know it's just conjecture but everyone knows that however limited Berrios has worked his tail off to get something from the league and I just haven't seen an ounce of effort from Mims.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

He's too lazy to succeed. Very little doubt in my mind at this point. We have the problems learning the playbook, all the reports of him half-assing drills in practice.

Between him and Becton reportedly having similar issues JD really screwed the pooch on the character side of our top picks from the 2020 class. I think JD realized this immediately after last season hence him stressing we wanted "A+ players and A+ people" in the 2021 draft.

NYJFan10 and Borat like this.
  8. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Should have stayed put and drafted the target we had on our radar, Van Jefferson. After we traded down, Rams stepped in and snatched him right before us. If we had him, he has some good promise. Rams had choice, they chose Jefferson instead of Mims, even Mims was higher rated going into the draft. Smart on their part! JD when Rams took Jefferson!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yeah, I must admit, it does not look good for JD that his first two picks from 2021, Becton and Mims, are not looking great, while the very next player at the position we could have had were Wirfs and Claypool, who seem like great players. Claypool is closing in on a near 1000 yard season, while Mims doesn't looks like an NFL player. Wirfs already a Pro Bowler, while Becton can't even get on the field. This really stings. And this is not just picking random players, these are the guys literally selected very next after our draft pick at the positions we drafted. We just picked wrong ones, and these are big misses. Both of these guys could have really helped Zach Wilson this year too. Now we probably have to go tackle and WR again next year with early picks.

Losmeister, NYJFan10, Jets79 and 4 others like this.
  10. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Wasn't Wirfs a RT coming out and Becton a LT? Who was rated higher than Becton at LT?

I can't kill JD for Becton. His injury this year was a fluke. It's not like he tripped over his gut and broke his ankle.

MoWilkBeast and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

He was the next 1st round rated tackle. I understand JD's reasons for selecting Becton, the problem is that now two years later Wirfs is a Pro Bowler, while Becton really disappointed. That means JD was wrong. Also, as @REVISion pointed out, this was not supposed to be season ending injury. And Becton was injured in training camp several times as well. Plus didn't have a great camp to begin with. We are most likely going to extend Fant and pick up Even Neal in the draft. If Becton was good or we picked up Wirfs instead, this would essentially free up a very high pick this 2022 draft for other positions. But we still need to address Tackle. The good news is that Fant overachieved.

ColoradoContrails and REVISion like this.
  12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

You've said this before and we've responded to it before. Yes, Wirfs was a RT, but he's already among the best RT's in football and has zero injury concerns. It's totally reasonable to think he'd have made a better LT than Becton, who has been both mediocre when healthy and totally unable to stay healthy.

The pick was a huge botch by JD. There are no two ways about it.

Considering how well Fant has been at LT there's also a strong chance Becton ends up as a RT anyway.

This was a 4-8 week injury that is taking Becton 16+ weeks to recover from. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why. He's too damn big and that should've been apparent to JD before he drafted him.

Good OT's as big as Becton are the exception, not the rule. There are good reasons the vast majority of elite OT's are significantly smaller than him.

ouchy and Borat like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Agreed that JD blew Becton and Mims picks, and that overall the 2020 draft was a loser for him. But in light of what he did in his second draft, I think that's more indicative of what we can expect from him. In any case, the 2020 draft still better than any of the Idzick/Maccagnan drafts, and that's assuming that Becton doesn't rebound, which is possible, if not likely.

I still think Douglas is better than any GM we've had since Parcells.

NCJetsfan, Borat and REVISion like this.
  14. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

2020 draft is almost complete bust if becton doesn’t pan out, and definitely could be considered worse than macc/Idzik. They hit on a few players. Even Idzik hit 3 NFL starters in his draft. 2020 would have one legit player, and that is hall. JD laid an egg. Horrible draft! Parcels drafts were not good. He made colossal bad trades and picks in his jets career! 2000 draft was good, but he had 4 1sts. Getting rid of Keyshawn and “stealing” Martin were his great moves. Resurrecting testeverde as well. He was really good at FA, building a winning culture that way, and coaching. He traded away future HOF tackle, and great EDGE rusher and basically got second round pick, which he drafted a bust!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#114 Sack exchange, Dec 27, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
    ConcordeChops and Jets79 like this.
  15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It does look that way for sure, but I think the real test will be next year. JD has gotten a pass for really bad last two seasons, because he is rebuilding with lots of rookies, including all coaching staff not just at HC but all coordinator spots, QB, and others. We broke down the roster, finished with two wins, then with all rookie squad made some progress and doubled that this year - I can fathom that. Even though to be quite frank I felt at least the offense should have been more talented this year when you are trying to develop your rookie QB. But - I will cut JD some slack.

Next year however, the situation will be far different. The expectation would be to have a competitive team. Maybe at least like Arizona Cardinals, who finished 8-8 second year after drafting Murray. If we we are again at 4-5 wins next season, JD is simply not the guy. The product needs to be there next year. We can't get into the season again with subpair OL, WR, and TE spots to surround Zach. The defense cannot be the worst in the League either. JD has a lot of work to do. We have a lot of draft picks this year, and maybe we gotta trade some of them if there is a chance to get some proven players. We gotta leverage CAP room to the fullest as well. Parcells rebuilt the team to 9-7 first year he got there. JD's approach is different, but this is the third year, and I expect something similar.

16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Where are all those guys who were lighting the torches and sharpening the pitchforks for the coaching staff two months ago when Mims wasn't getting on the field?

REVISion likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

I disagree with the bold. One simply cannot rationally make a staterment like that. What if Zach gets injured in TC or starts the year and the Jets win the first 2-3 games, then goes down with a season-ending injury? We could still be dealing with covid next year, or have the same bad luck with injuries. One should look at the circumstances, the job the CS has done, the talent on the team, etc. There are simply too many factors that are out of JD's control once he drafts or signs players in FA. Then it's up to the CS and the players themselves.

Becton has HOF potential. Coming out of college he was a top prospect and was said to have a burning desire to be great and worked hard. With that being the case, JD can't reasonably be blamed if Becton got lazy or eats himself out of the league, or can't stay healthy.

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

If there are some extraordinary circumstances, perhaps, but generally speaking we need to win more than 4 games next year for him to stay as a GM. At the end of the day JD needs to get the roster to the point, where it is competitive. He may get unlucky with Becton, but he can get lucky with some later round pick or a FA signing that woks out better than he thought, like Fant. Ultimately though we cannot be winning 2-4 games for 3 years in a row and say we have a good GM. 1 year, I get it, 2 years, I understand it, but in the 3d year the product needs to be somewhat decent. I am not asking for much. After 3 years of rebuild not to be one of the worst teams in the League again and at least be in the hunt for play-offs with close to 500 record. That's not a high expectation, I believe JD can achieve that next year.

ColoradoContrails and REVISion like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

In JD's first year he was stuck with Gase and his 2020 draft was to fit the systems we had in place at that time.

I understand that we want to see and should see more than 4 wins next season, but if we don't, that could fall all on Saleh or injuries and not JD. With the excellent draft that JD had this year, with his work in cleaning up the cap, his amazing trades, good signings in FA, and excellent players he has signed as UDFAs, I think it would be foolish in the extreme to fire JD if the team only won 4-5 games next season. The only way I could justify doing that is if Becton, AVT and Zach prove to be busts next season.

I think you and many others here have unrealistic expectations and don't realize what a horrible roster JD inherited. Even with the good work that JD has done, we still have a lot of holes.

20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yes…for some reason our rebuilds take decades…and we never even get there

the Pats go to 7-9 then right back on top…without multiple top picks. The Steelers are having a rough year …yet they’re at about .500, and chances are good they’ll rebound rather quickly…I do t expect them to sink to a 2-3 win team and stay there for a decade.

funny how all that works.

but for us, yes this was a total tear down and rebuild. I agree you can’t really put a hard number on it because who knows what will happen, but I do agree with the sentiment that we DO need to be more competitive and see more wins next year. I would say at least 7 wins to show progress up from 4 this year…really should be at least 8 or 9 but who knows…

I think the flops with Becton and Mims are super tough…that’s two positions that SHOULD now be considered strengths, and yet there’s still doubt and I think we still need to improve on OL and WR both…tough to miss on the top two picks

certainly the 2021 draft looks much better, and hopefully the 2022 draft will continue that trend…

REVISion likes this.