KY Jets Fan's J.E.T.S (Just End The Season) 2022 Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Dec 20, 2021.

1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

[​IMG]

Here we are again folks, with 3 weeks left in the regular season we are once again focusing on the offseason and how this team can rise from the gutter of the NFL. With 4 picks in the first 2 rounds and 50M+ in cap space there is more hope than normal that we can finally put a good product on the field in 2022.

With all that being said, here is my mock draft using TDN's Mock Draft Machine.

We start our mock with a TRADE!!!!

Jets trade 2022 1st (4th overall) & 2022 4th (111th overall) to WFT for 2022 1st (12th overall), 2022 2nd (44th overall), 2022 3rd (76th overall), and 2023 1st.

With Hutchinson, Thibodeaux, and Stingley going 1-3, this move made the most sense to me. Not only do we only go back 8 spots, but we gain an extra 2nd & 3rd in 2022 and WFT's 1st for 2023 while giving up our later 4th round pick in 2022. The main reason I actually did this trade was because I think it's plausible WFT falls in love with Pickett or Corral in the draft process and decide he's their guy.

8th overall (via SEA): George Karlaftis, EDGE, Purdue.
    While we miss out on Hutchinson and Thibodeaux, we land the next best EDGE prospect in the class. Karlaftis is arguably the best power rusher in the class and has a motor that does not quit.

12th overall (via WFT): Jameson Williams, WR, Alabama.
    Williams is exactly what this WR corps needs with Corey Davis and Elijah Moore in already in the fold. An excellent route-runner who excels at creating separation on deep routes.

36th overall: Martin Emerson, CB, Mississippi State.
    At 6'2" 200lbs, Emerson is a rangy, athletic corner who could flourish in Saleh's system. Emerson and Hall could be our starting CB duo for quite some time.

40th overall (via CAR): Zion Johnson, IOL, Boston College.
    We all know that RG is still a huge question mark going into the 2022 season. While Johnson has played exclusively on the left side (LG in 2019, LT in 2020, back to LG in 2021), he's a plug and play guy from Day 1 who could immediately upgrade the OL, as long as he can transition to RG

44th overall (via WFT): Christian Harris, LB, Alabama.
    Even if we address LB in FA this offseason, the LB unit is still in need of a major upgrade. Harris is a 3 year starter at Alabama and an exceptional athlete who can start out as the WILL alongside CJ Mosley and be his eventual replacement at MIKE down the line.

68th overall: Jalen Wydermyer, TE, Texas A&M.
    While not the most polished blocker, Wydermyer is a matchup nightmare. An above average athlete with a huge catch radius at TE is something Zach Wilson could desperately use next season and beyond.

76th overall (via WFT): Jaxson Kirkland, OT, Washington.
    With experience at both G and LT during his career, Kirkland is a versatile OL that could provide some much needed depth to a unit that is in dire need of it.

110th overall (via CAR): Alontae Taylor, CB, Tennessee.
    Taylor is a former WR who made the transition to CB in 2018 who has improved every year to the point that he's become one of the best CB's in the SEC. He has some trouble with shifty/elusive type route runners so he'll be much better in zone coverage to start, but he's got all the tools necessary to develop into a quality depth piece and potential starter.

I'll end the mock there as I'm sure no one cares about 5th-7th round picks at this stage in the process. Let me know what you guys think!

Go Jets!

2. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

The fact that you sound like you’d take Stingley at 3 makes me wary for the rest.

Love Williams with our 2nd pick

I always wonder who else was on the board when someone mocks. I’ve been picking Kinnard in the 2nd to be my RG. He’s only played in the right side and has done so on a high level.

With so many good TEs coming out, you’ll find value in the 4th and 5th

3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I can see how you'd think that based off of how I phrased it but I'm out on Stingley. That statement was more to highlight who went 1-3, although if Hutchinson or Thibodeaux were there at 4, I'd have taken them in a heartbeat.

4. M00ndawg

M00ndawg Member

Love this but I really don't see us waiting so long for OL help... I do hope for a draft like this!

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I have mixed feelings about this draft, but I love the trade down. I think it could be better. I like some of the players and positions addressed, but don't like drafting one CB, much less two, as I don't think they're a need, and you ignored other positions (RB & S).

At present, am not a fan of drafting Karlaftis. I don't think we need to draft a CB that high, so hate that pick. Like the Jameson Williams pick, and would be ok with the Zion Johnson pick. Like the Christian Harris pick. I don't see any way that Jalen Wydermyer falls that far in the draft. I think he goes early in the 2nd round. He's the top TE prospect in the draft. Pick #76 is way too late to draft an OT if you have any thoughts of starting him. As depth, that's ok. We don't need to draft two CBs. A RB, a S, another OL, another LB or WR, anything would have been better imo than a 2nd CB. I don't have anything against the players you took (except Karlaftis), just the positions and where you took them.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Fair critiques. I wanted to take a RB or S but this was how the board fell to me.

I also think we address S during FA either with one of the top of the market guys (Bates or Williams) or a few of the cheaper options, so I went into this mock with the thought that S had already been addressed.

As far as RB goes, I like the Carter/Coleman combo but if I could change one pick, I would've drafted Hassan Haskins at 110 overall over Alontae Taylor. At 6'1" 220, he'd be the perfect compliment to what Carter brings to the table. I'll be interested to see how he plays in the CFB this weekend against UGA, he could elevate his draft stock pretty significantly with a good game.

I think if we re-sign Moses, we'll have good options for starters at both LT and RT with 2 of Becton, Fant, Moses. But Fant and Moses are getting older so I think Kirkland is a good depth piece that could eventually take over as a starter in a couple of years.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I can see JD signing a FA S, but not two, and imo we need at least 2 safeties. I don't think Maye will be back. Davis is iffy. Maybe they keep Riley or Neasman for depth, but they need another starter.

I"m going to watch video of Karlaftis. I respect your opinion/judgment so I'm going to hope that you're right, and hope to become a fan of him as I don't think we'll have a shot at either Hutchinson or Thibodeaux.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  8. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I don't see us picking a receiver that high with Moore and Davis on our roster, and possibly Crowder coming back but I could be wrong.

I also don't see us trading back. It's so rare in the draft, fun to predict but I think we'll stay where we are.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  9. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

I have no idea if this would lead to a good outcome or not, but I appreciate the research effort that went into this. My only comment is that it's a bit thin on OL.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I should've done a full mock offseason but I think JD will use FA to fill some/most of our holes on D and hopefully go after a good TE option (Schultz/Njoku/Howard/etc.).

At that point, WR would jump to the top of our "needs" list as most of our other needs will have been addressed by then.

Even with Moore, Davis, and one or more of Crowder/Cole/Berrios returning, I think that unit is in need of another premium target and I think Jameson Williams would be a perfect fit for us.

Trading back is tricky because it takes 2 to tango but that's why I think a trade back could be a realistic possibility for us. If a QB-needy team like WFT, Pittsburgh, NO, Denver, etc. falls in love with someone like Pickett or Corral and they're sitting there with either our first pick or SEA's pick, I could see them making a move to jump in front of a team like Carolina who might be in the QB market too.

KingRoach likes this.
  11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Thanks!

I think Zion Johnson is a plug and play starter.

I also think Fant, AVT, McGovern, and Becton/Moses have the potential to be an above average unit next year, with the potential to be even better if you throw a guy like Zion in there.

Kirkland is a bit more of a project but he's got great potential and positional versatility. He projects a bit better at RT IMO but if Becton can rebound from his disastrous 2021 I could see a best-case scenario of those guys being our bookend tackles for the next few years. Worst-case scenario, Kirkland becomes our future Fant and is a solid swing tackle.

sozopol likes this.
  12. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I don't see anyone trading up for these QBs but crazier things have happened. Remember when the Seahawks traded 2 firsts for a box safety?!

abyzmul and KY Jets Fan like this.
  13. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Didn’t someone trade up from 12 to 6 to get a WR last year?

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

[​IMG]

Ozymandias and NCJetsfan like this.