Did Zach Wilson.....?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 12, 2021.

?

Your grade for Zach as of Week 14

1. Met my expectations

16.5%
  2. Didn't meet my expactations

83.5%
  1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Ehhhhhhh.

Wilson is definitely playing better now than he was earlier in the season. He's basically eliminated the bad turnovers entirely over the last several weeks. He's not hitting the big plays as much as he was earlier but I'd much rather have my rookie QB doing too little than trying to do too much and having it backfire.

Above all else I'm just happy to see improvement. I'm hoping this isn't a Darnold situation where he's making the exact same mistakes he always did 3 years into his career. Being able to identify and eliminate flaws already puts Wilson ahead of where Darnold ever was.

NCJetsfan, cval and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I see no chance of Wilson becoming like Darnold. Sam never showed that he understood the game or his shortcomings, while Zach has freely admitted mistakes he's made - specifically pointing them out in pressers. Zach is a film junkie and a student of the game and watches QBs who are much better than him to learn things. I rooted for Darnold to make it, and think he got a bad deal from the Jets in terms of coaching and lack of supporting talent, but he didn't seem to really work at overcoming any of that.

NCJetsfan, cval, Acad23 and 2 others like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to be a big 'hater' and I'm rooting for Wilson. I dont see a big improvement over the course of this season.

It was only his 11th game anyway, have games 9,10,11 been any different than 1,2,& 3? He was 19-42 against New Orleans for God's sakes. More passes in the dirt than in receivers hands. That was 2 weeks ago!

--

Someone said it on here a couple weeks ago - IF you think Zach Wilson has been greatly improving you must be losing your mind over Davis Mills right now. (He looks great, 7 Passing TDs in his last 4 starts with 2 300+ games. Talk about improvement!)

#503 BrowningNagle, Dec 27, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

And it matches the eye test. I don’t know how you aren’t seeing it. There’s a very very clear difference between weeks 1, 2, 3 and the last 3-4 weeks. Yea he had a terrible game against the Saints but that wasn’t because he was forcing bad throws and not seeing the field. He was doing both those things, he just wasn’t hitting receivers. He’s making the right decision which he wasn’t doing games 1, 2, 3. And again, the eye test and the numbers match up.

I also don’t give two shits about Davis Mills. He’s having a great year. Good for the Texans.

5. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

You can lead a horse to water and all that jazz...

In the beginning of the year Wilson was not going through his progressions. He wasn't calling out the proper protections at the line. He was forcing balls into places he had no right trying to. He refused to check the ball down, looking to play hero ball.

Since he's returned from injury he's been much better in all of these phases of the game. Yes he did develop an issue with swing passes and screen passes. He seems to be working through that and he is also using his legs more. He has 4 rushing TD's and a 6.4 rushing average. And he hasn't had his #1 or #2 receiver for the past 3 games.

He's definitely improved from the beginning of the year. It's a shame you don't understand what you are seeing.

cval and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. BrowningNagle

The 'Eye test' isn't better. When you watched the New Orleans game did you really see a big improvement? Again- more passes hit the dirt than hit the receivers.... in 21 point loss. Did he pass the eye test? They coulda played 7 quarters and he wasnt going to lead the offense to a touchdown

Last week in Miami, the 2nd half he had more SACKS than completed passes. This was his 2nd half stat-line: 4-9, 28 yards, 5 sacks, 1 fumble

how is that improvement?
    ---

lets keep it real. I hope he pans out but he needs to come in much improved week 1 next year, cause he aint getting there by playing

7. bicketybam

You really are removing all doubt that you are not understanding what you are seeing.

The first half of the Miami game was tons better than any game he had in the beginning of the year. Same with the first half of the Eagles game. Yesterday he did everything that was asked of him. He's thrown 2 int's since returning from injury. He threw 8 in the first 4 games.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

You just keep ignoring what I’ve said twice already. Last attempt:

His accuracy is an issue. That is a big step up from literally everything being an issue pre-injury. Since he’s come back he’s been seeing the field much better, making better decisions and making the right throws (or taking off running, which there’s a huge step up in these last few weeks).

REVISion likes this.
  9. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

I'm gonna jump in here, I'm due for a response after reading through 500 replies.

I don't know if you're just stubbornly digging your heels in and refuse to move from your position no matter what, but regardless of nuances that make Zach "ok" or "crap" from whatever point of view people choose to use, there is NO WAY he looks like he did in Week 1. Regardless of how incremental it is, there has absolutely been progress. And a lot of it. Now, we can certainly debate where the line for progress started and where the line that dictates where he should be are - he's still not an adequate NFL quarterback at this time. No argument there. But however small and insignificant it is, there has absolutely been noticeable progress.

10. BrowningNagle

Yes, his accuracy, the most important part of QBing is an issue. He has shown 'huge' strides in the 3 or 4 times he's ran the ball though. Maybe he can become a running QB like Lamar Jackson

11. BrowningNagle

in what areas?

12. BroadwayAaron

At this point I have to assume you’re purposely ignoring everything. Oh well. Luckily fan opinions on a message board mean nothing in real life. The situation will unfold the way its supposed to regardless of what we “see”.

bicketybam likes this.
  13. bicketybam

Lost cause.

apjbfc likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

Yup, it will. You guys can grade him on a ridiculous curve if you want but at the end of the day, he's gonna get better or he's not and he's got a long way to go. We've been there a lot

15. BrowningNagle

He not do everything that was asked of him. What an absurd statement.

16. BroadwayAaron

I feel like I’m pretty fair when it comes to football opinions and I have the ability to be pretty rational and I am fairly confident that there is no “ridiculous curve“ here. I think you are just pretending that anyone pointing out the very obvious improvements is saying “oh my God he is the best thing since sliced bread“ when in reality all we are doing is pointing out areas of the game where he has undoubtedly improved while also admitting there is still a long way to go.

17. bicketybam

Well I should have expected that you don't know what that saying means within this context. But keep doubling down on your absurd notion that Wilson hasn't improved.

And for the record, I do not think you are a Wilson hater. I think you just don't know this aspect of football very well.

cval likes this.
  18. BrowningNagle

We'll see how he does against TB & Buffalo and how the grading will work.

You don't want to compare him to other rookie QBs, you aren't being that rational

19. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

The guy you're arguing with thought Mims had great potential, had a solid year one, and was being screwed by the CS until it was just impossible to say that with a straight face anymore.

bicketybam likes this.
  20. bicketybam

Would you say he's thrown more or less interceptions since the first 4 games of the season?