Did Zach Wilson.....?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 12, 2021.

?

Your grade for Zach as of Week 14

1. Met my expectations

16.5%
  2. Didn't meet my expactations

83.5%
  1. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

This was the first time I thought Zach played well, but the team around him didn't help whatsoever. He made a bunch of nice short throws, made a couple great plays, and threw the ball away when needed. I had the game on in the background, but I didnt notice too many egregiously horrible throws like last week.

I thought the OL and the WR really did nothing to help him out.

2. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I am curious to see the breakdown from Max. He seemed to hold the ball a little long on occasion but when you are trying to make plays and nobody is getting open it is tough.

3. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

In the beginning of the year, Jets fans were complaining about Zach's decision making, so what has he done? He's now played 2 straight games with no INTs and is taking his checkdowns. After he came back, Jets fans were complaining about his erratic accuracy. He only sailed 2-3 passes against Miami this week, which will happen to every QB.

#303 NYJFOREVER, Dec 20, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
  4. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Zach Wilson is #32nd in the NFL in completion Percentage.
    56% = DEAD LAST ... and your defense is he only sailed 2-3 passes?

SOJAZ and tomdeb like this.
  5. NYJFOREVER

I'm talking about yesterday dude.

He was wildly erratic last week against the Saints and he wasn't this week against Miami.

6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Exactly. It’s a fair question from a journalist, they’ve got a job to do too, but I’ve got no issue with Zach’s answer. He’s taken accountability all year for various forms of this question, so I don’t see why everyone is so outraged by this answer. If he’d been passing the buck all year, it would be troubling but he hasn’t, so much ado about nothing IMO.

I also understand what he meant by the answer, as he shouldn’t be worried about how he’s played compared to other guys in other games. His focus is, and should be, on winning games, not how many yards he has. Would it help if he had 300 yards? Probably but his answer just shows he doesn’t care if he has 300 yards in a game or 3, as long as the team wins, which is how everyone on this team should feel.

Mogriffjr, ColoradoContrails and cval like this.
  7. NYJFOREVER

It's Zach Wilson's fault that the Jets defense can't stop a simple trap run and makes Duke Johnson look like the second coming of Barry Sanders. It's Zach Wilson's fault that the Jets defense can't stop a nosebleed. It's Zach Wilson's fault that Connor McDermott was the starting LT and the entire OL got abused in the second half. It's Zach Wilson's fault that his two top receivers are on IR and that Keelan Cole and Denzel Mims wouldn't be able to separate from a JV cornerback.

Zach is not absolved from all blame, not at all as he has been bad this year, but the amount of blame he IS getting is ridiculous and to expect him to carry this team right now is flat out unrealistic. He'd have to lead this team to 24+ points a game and it's just not going to happen.

The Jets tore the entire roster down last year and are rebuilding everything from scratch. Rebuilding rosters are extremely top heavy and almost all of the Jets top players are on IR. Lawson, Becton, Corey Davis, Elijah Moore, and Marcus Maye are all on IR.

What are some of the Jets biggest flaws as a team? Let's see -- They can't rush the passer; Lawson is OFS. They had a 3rd string LT playing yesterday, oh look, Becton is on IR. WRs can't get separation -- Corey Davis and Elijah Moore are on IR. Jets have horrendous safety play, oh wow, Marcus Maye on IR.

Fans need to stop taking 11 years of frustration out on a brand new regime. If they look like this next year after 4 top 40-42 picks (depending on where Carolina's 2nd rounder falls) and spending $$$ in FA, then I'll be all aboard the hate train.

#307 NYJFOREVER, Dec 20, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
  8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

That’s totally fair…we are playing without A LOT of guys we were counting on to be part of the rebuild…it’s hard to expect a lot of offense when you’re starting your third string LT and your two top receivers are out. On D, we’ve missed Lawson all year, but also Joyner and Maye have been out. We just don’t have a lot of talent of D which is disgusting considering how many high picks have been spent on that side of the ball over the last ten years. That all goes beyond JD…that’s on Mac and Idzik.

but yeah…I didn’t feel as disgusted with Wilson yesterday as I did the week before where he was missing open guys left and right. His stats were still terrible yesterday…not gonna win many games when your QB throws for 170. It yesterday it felt, to me, more like a product of the team on the field as opposed to him flat out sucking. He had free rushers way too often (and that may be partly on him in setting protections,I don’t know). And he had no one to throw to. Once the running game was shut down in the second half, he had no shot.

I’m not absolving him of it all….he still hasn’t played a complete game, but at least to me, yesterday felt more like the team let him down than the other way around.

9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Watch this:

then tell us how "Zach Wilson can't face up to legitimate questions". He stood there and answered every question, except the one that was an obvious "trap" and didn't need to be asked. "How much responsibility for the offense struggling falls on your shoulders"? This, after all the preceding questions where he repeatedly said "Yeah, I've got to do a better job" "I've got to be more accurate" I've got to get the ball out of my hands quicker". He was right to blow that guy off.

Again, I see a big difference between how Zach answers questions - with specifics - and how Darnold used to - with the meaningless "I just gotta do a better job".

Maybe if you didn't have a total bias against Wilson you might be able to see all this, but I won't hold my breath.

Borat, Acad23 and cval like this.
  11. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

And he threw the ball away at least twice when in trouble instead of throwing a high risk pass. I thought his decision making was much improved as well as his accuracy. He had almost no support from the rest of the team though.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

I understand your frustration. As a 5+ decade Jets fan I'm frustrated too. But I think we need to keep some objectivity. Wilson has played 8 games total in the NFL in a situation that even Brady would struggle in (although Brady WOULD find a way to produce thanks to his years of experience).

I think if you look at the fact that he IS making progress - even if it's not as fast as we would like - and that when he speaks to the media he identifies the areas he needs to improve in - and then the next game we generally see some improvement in those areas from him - all of that tells me that he's going to be fine as along as the Jets fix the rest of the problems.

Sack exchange, Borat and cval like this.
  13. NYJFOREVER

Uncommon sense.

14. NYJFOREVER

Brady sure struggled last night against the same Saints defense the Jets played two weeks ago.

Oh yea, Brady was missing his two top WRs. Kind of interesting how that works.

15. ColoradoContrails

He explained that: Miami went to man coverage and that required Zach to wait until his receivers got some separation which took longer. He also admitted that he needed to get the ball out quicker, but really, the issue was the OL couldn't protect him.

16. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I find it hard to believe there would have been much difference between how Zach is playing and how Hackenberg would have looked if we allowed him to take the field.

The only difference is the investment in Zach is more substantial, so we are forced to put him out there.

It was amazing when White played well those two games how the organization was going to keep rolling him out if he played well.

Let's face it, this franchise is still salivating for a real franchise QB--they are worried about Wilson....as they should be.

17. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Now if we are smart, we should lose out the rest of the year and at least guarantee ourselves a great pass rusher.

We are still missing a franchise pass rusher.

JFM, Williams, post injury Lawson are all solid role players....but we don't have a John Abraham, Julius Peppers, Bosa brother on this roster.

Sack exchange and Jets79 like this.
  18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Here is every throw by Zach. I counted 2-3 bad passes and 2 really bad drops. I could not tell if the ball to Mims was high or if it bounced off his hands. Also, pay particular attention to the down and distance especially in the second half. Finally, Zach is elusive, the kid got out of pressure he had no business getting out of.

19. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I think at this point it’s clear that Wilson was never really ready, but it’s also tough with him playing for a completely rebuilding team that also lost players on offense.

I still think he can improve a lot, and hopefully the rest of the roster will be much better as well next year.

Id probably look to draft a mid-later round QB that has upside, but roll with Wilson next season. If he busts, at least the roster will be built up for the next guy, and maybe you can hit on the mid rounder in the meantime

Royal Tee, Jets79 and SOJAZ like this.
  20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner