Worst stretch as a Jets fan?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rockyusmc2003, Dec 19, 2021.

1. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

I rarely start threads, but I have a serious question for the old-timers in here. I had this discussion with one of my other diehard buddies and he's pretty much in the same boat as me.

I've watched the Jets regularly since the mid-80s. Since then, I remember lots of terrible years, but there was always a light at the end of the tunnel (perhaps hindsight is 20/20), and I still bled green no matter what. If the team was 2-8 and lost in a blowout, I still felt like total shit for the rest of the day, it didn't matter. That right there was my general feeling up until they hired Gase, and now I just watch in disbelief most weeks. I'm still waiting for that light to peek out of the end of the tunnel, but it just isn't happening.

Over those last 35+ years, I'd consider these last 10 years as the most dismal stretch as a fan. I watch a lot of other NFL teams, and it usually feels like I'm watching an entirely different sport than what the Jets are attempting to play.

So for the fans that have been watching forever, did you ever feel greater despair than over this wretched stretch? Or would you consider this last decade to be the worst Jets football you've experienced in your lifetime? I've heard the 70s were bad, but what do you think?

#1 rockyusmc2003, Dec 19, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
    AndyDrums and papapump like this.
  2. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Just sum it up, Same ol Jets, they've been Fucking the fanbase over for 5 decades.

SOJAZ likes this.
  3. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

like you I have been following the Jets since the mid-80s - I have never felt as bad about the state of the franchise as I have this year - there is just next to no talent anywhere on the team and nothing to build around and I have next to no faith or belief in anything to do with the team, from players, to coaching, to the FO to ownership.

SOJAZ and Jets1035 like this.
  4. rockyusmc2003

Not a lie.

5. rockyusmc2003

Probably pretty cliche for me to post this after a loss, but I'd agree. I really wish I was on that phone call between Rex and Saleh, I'd love to hear how he sold him.

6. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

From my memory the 70's were the worst IMO. The biggest game of the year was the pre-season game against the Giants. From there it was all downhill.

The 90s were really bad. The Jets have been bad the last 10 years but they have taken it up a notch starting with the hiring of Gase. The despair level is bad. The play on the field is equal to late 70s games. But the big difference is now we are bombarded with non stop Jets news through media and the internet. In the 70s we only were reminded how bad the Jets were on Sundays. By week 4 the Jets season was over and there would be little media mention of them until the draft. In the 90s the NFL was more constant and we were reminded much more often how bad we are. But, it is nothing like today where every failure and every mistake is magnified a million times.

From a pure play standpoint I think the 70s was worse but from being a fan right now is so much worse because of the constant reminders of our Jet failures.

SOJAZ, Brook!, Losmeister and 8 others like this.
  8. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

This is the worst stretch. I wasn't there for the 70s, but I have to give that stretch a pass because it was much harder to turn a team around then without free agency. There's no excuse for this level of ineptitude in this day in age. Absolutely no excuse. And to be this bad, for this long, and to actually find ways to continue to get worse leaves the impression that what we're seeing on the field is what we're intended to see on the field. This is the result of an ownership that does seem not care about getting this right.

9. rockyusmc2003

Excellent insight, thanks man!

I remember the 90s did suck for a bit, they started and ended the decade on the right foot. I've heard the 70s were bad from my father, but he never mentioned the pre-season game being the highlight! That's gold!

Noam likes this.
  10. rockyusmc2003

That's a great point about Free Agency and turning things around! And agreed, there is no excuse.

11. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

The only reason to watch the jets anymore is to see just how low the bottom really is.

It’s almost like how much more black can this be and the answer is none, none more black.

Chrisiue and rockyusmc2003 like this.
  12. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

This last stretch has been the worst. At least in the 70’s we had our own stadium.

Ralebird and rockyusmc2003 like this.
  13. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

this franchise is cursed - even when we do spend big in free agency they get season ending injuries (Mosley, Lawson, Davis...)

Noam and rockyusmc2003 like this.
  14. rockyusmc2003

Oh man, true! Wish I had been able to go when they were at Shea, that must have been a fun place to go.

15. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

I go back to the early 70's while #12 was still on the roster, albeit out with knee surgeries every year. I have seen my fair share of Al Woodalls, Bob Davis', Browning Nagel etc. and more than my fair share of hideous football. I was one of the 5 dumb kids who would sit in Ice, snow and frigid cold at Shea Stadium watching a 2-11 team try to win the last game back when they played 14. The bad years clearly outweigh the good ones. We had no good years in the 70,s a few good years in the 80's, a few good years with Parcells in the 90's, a few good years with Rex in the 2000's. The decade of the 2010's is the worst stretch of Jets football I have ever seen. The Jets are the 70's NO Saints, the Cleveland Browns, the Lions, and the pre-Peyton Dolts as they were called by their own fans, all rolled into one bad stink. I feel the exact same way as the OP. I watch the NFL, then watch what this team does and it's not the same game even. I see mostly every other team improve through the years. It feels like the last time we won a divisional game was the NE playoff win with Rex. Our last home playoff game was 2002. They are the most insignificant entity, maybe in all sports.

Brook!, Chrisiue, Noam and 2 others like this.
  16. rockyusmc2003

That has been very true, not a very good track record with big-ticket FAs.

17. rockyusmc2003

We need a support group.

SOJAZ and Noam like this.
  18. Justwinit

Justwinit Active Member

I remember the Heidi game and super bowl like it was yesterday. In between a "giving him the business" here and a "roughing the passer there", it has been rarely good. To me, Saleh is not the guy and sure as hell Wilson is not. For a number 2 pick, there should be much better attributes than what I am seeing.

NY Jets68, SOJAZ and rockyusmc2003 like this.
  19. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Started in the early 80s, but I was too young to really understand. Only really the jets either won or lost on Sunday. The 90s went really fast, and while I watched, I didn’t really understand as much about draft, playoffs placement, etc etc until parcells, and then the internet. So this is by far the worst stretch for me. And I just don’t see any light at the end of the tunnel.

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  20. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

For me yes, this is the worst stretch of any team I've rooted for.

There's only been one year in the last ten that coming into the season it wasn't well known the jets were going to be one of the worst teams in the NFL.

rockyusmc2003 likes this.