Mekhi Becton

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Sep 10, 2021.

1. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

With the way Fant is playing this year and under a contract next year too. I'd like to add the below question:

At which point does the franchise discuss trading this big man? LTs are a premium and we have two and one is young and very talented but can't stay fit.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'm sure they'll discuss it after the season, but will any team bite? Fant has proven to be a quality signing. Can he hold the fort until another long term answer is found?

3. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Tough spot with Mekhi made a lot tougher by how well Fant has played. One thing that intrigues me about Fant is that football is still relatively new to him - I think he started as a basketball player in college and eventually transitioned to football. So he's been a project and clearly has continued developing and getting better and better. This is his best season so far from an overall upward trajectory. I wonder just how good he can be. His best days could still be ahead of him and would hate to get rid of him prematurely. What if he's a franchise LT? Plus, he's not old and has less wear than others for his age. Difficult decisions upcoming... unless Mekhi can't get on the field. Great signing by JD

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If Douglas is offered a "Jamal Package" for him, I'd say jump on it. Becton is a beast, but his weight and injury concerns make him unreliable.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's hard for me to view Becton as a member of this team next season. If LaFleur wants to do anything it's have nothing but mobile tackles who can open up all possible running lanes, and not just the ones Mekhi is able to get to in time... the running game improving isn't just because LaFleur is in the booth. And that's when he is in shape and healthy. Which he won't be when he gets back, if he even plays again this season which I doubt.

Don't forget, Becton got a second opinion on that surgery, this could be another of these pesky surgery situations that Joe Douglas keeps finding himself mired in.

6. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Are you serious, you think they are going to give up already on their 2020 11th pick? Just not going to happen. He is here at least to his 4th-5th year. Even ghoston got that. He was one of jets biggest busts. I don’t see beckon in that light, at least not yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PJ4Ever and Mogriffjr like this.
  7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Making bad draft picks happens. You hope it won't of course but it does. Keeping bad or unreliable players longer than you should is the true sin.

It's not a coincidence that the Patriots are notorious for moving on from guys a year before the consensus says they're toast. That's the right thing to do because by the time everyone agrees they're toast you're not able to get any value in return for them in a trade.

I'm not saying get rid of Becton or don't. I'm just saying if the coaching staff and JD think he'll never be a dependable, effective option at LT then they should explore their options by all means.

K'OB likes this.
  8. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Mark my words they are not getting rid of him. So no use talking about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mogriffjr likes this.
  9. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I think you're probably right but it would be a gutless and dumb move by our front office if so (assuming they have questions about his future as a player in our scheme).

10. abyzmul

I don't think it's a near eventuality or anything but I don't think as impossible as you do. I don't see him as even a passable fit for the Offense because I think he'll end up being injured a lot due to the amount of pulling he's asked to do. That's a lot of stress to throw 360-380lbs around on those knees, and BIG men tend to get those types of injuries if they are asked to run a lot.

A smart GM might cut his losses and see if he can recoup something for him before the draft with one of these teams that has a young as fuck QB and man instead of outside zone. Joe has done some smart things that have surprised the hell out of me and mostly at the negotiating table, which is stellar when you remember he's a football guy, not a bean counter.

Whichever the smart thing ends up being for this situation, hopefully it doesn't end up with the Jets reminding the world what dipshits they can be. What I don't want to see is another Kelechi Osemele.

Not Sure, stinkyB, Red Menace and 2 others like this.
  11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Vladamir Ducasse keeps coming to mind when I think of Becton. What I do like about Becton's situation is that it highlights a fact that it indeed is possible to be too big to play in the NFL for any meaningful amount of time. Becton is just too f'n big. Chris Jenkins was perhaps the longest jumbo to stay on the field until his body just gave out. I think JD got mesmerized by Becton's size and speed not thinking long term. There are limits on the human body thanks to good old gravity. It indeed seems to be a limit on just how big a person can get and stay healthy.

REVISion, Jonathan_Vilma and K'OB like this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

No one is giving up any significant capital for a guy who gave up a bunch of sacks his rookie year but looked like a pretty damn good run blocker down the stretch.

Jamal Adams was a 2x Pro Bowler and a 1x All-Pro when we traded him.

At this point we’d be lucky to get a 3rd especially with all the murmurs about him struggling with his weight all off-season and getting beaten like an absolute drum in camp day in and day out.

abyzmul likes this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Agree with everything but Ducasse. I’ve never seen a guy with as slow of a get off on the snap of the ball as that guy. Two full seconds would go by before the guy moved.

And amazingly enough, he had a decently long NFL career as a backup offensive lineman.

The only offensive linemen I can remember playing at that size are Trent Brown (hurt off and on but pretty good) and Jason Peters especially in his later years. He maintained his 330-340 listing but that dudes been 380 or more for the past 6 years.

14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Becton is 168kg. Puts him on the good side of 181kg. Still not suited for the middle seat on any airplane.

15. abyzmul

Still too heavy.

Not Sure, REVISion and Cman68 like this.
  16. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

Prior to this season, the perception of Becton was very high around the league. The injury he suffered in the 1st game was a fluky play and could’ve been far worse given his size. I do agree with folks that he should’ve been back by now and it’s a bit alarming that he’s still hurt. However, next year is make or break for him. It’s too early to give up on a talent like this. I think he realizes what’s at stake and will put in the work this off-season. I believe he’ll have a great and healthy season next year.

LAJet likes this.
  17. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

18. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Revisionist history, lol. Ok dude.