Defense is sickening

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Gregory L Henderson, Dec 5, 2021.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Imagine if Woody blew up Douglas? He would be looking for his 5th GM in the span of a decade. There's no way the league wouldn't get involved.

For that reason alone, Douglas will probably go full term. Got to keep that slush fund slushy.

2. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

Ulbrich needs to go. It's true that the defense is low on talent, but giving up 400+ yards a game to mediocre teams is on the coaches. They need to tailor the defense so that you can SOMETHING out of them. They need to fucking coach them! The thing is, they CAN be better! They beat the Titans and sacked Tannehill 7 times. So the talent to at least show up and be competitive is there. But week in and week out, we've seen nothing but soft zone coverages, no blitzes, and nobody to pick up screens. Again, ULBRICH NEEDS TO GO!

3. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I’ve never seen a unit this bad. They literally do nothing well.
    Can’t tackle, can’t cover, can’t generate pressure, can’t force a turnover, and commit more than their share of dumb penalties. What else is there?

And add this …
    NFL defenses probably give up a 1st down on 3rd and 15+ about 15% of the time, at most.
    I bet this defense has given it up 50% of the time this year.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Was out all afternoon

Offense showed some zip but Eagle receivers were wide open all day

Porous defense ..someone should be held accountable

5. zace

zace Well-Known Member

To be fair we are down quite a bit of starters. Remember, a lot of these guys arent even our real backups

6. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

When a rookie QB and a no name runs circles around you in three games (37 ppg), chances are this is one of the worst defenses in Jets history. Statistically, the worst in the NFL belongs to the '81 Colts, but this unit is not too far behind on the all-time bottomfeeder charts. How they became this bad this fast is a mystery in itself.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's a punishing move. You have to be well motivated to give the guy opposite you a clear shot at your extended mid-section.

A team like the jets that is going nowhere and doing it in a disheartening fashion is exactly the kind of team that is unlikely to go looking for a little extra pain and beating to get the job done.

The "Mike White!" chants in the locker room were a sign of a team on the verge of surrender that suddenly saw a reason to fight. What happened after that disheartened the fans and the players.

wewantsapp likes this.
  8. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

It’s not on the coaching staff. This defense literally needs about 7-8 new starters no joke. The problem is because the offense was still set in the 1950s they needed to spend all of their high picks there in an attempt to catch up. And they still need some players there. But the defense is a jumbled mess that needs a complete overhaul.

I’m expecting 4 of the top 5 picks to go towards the defense at just about any position…..

FJF likes this.
  9. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Injuries, its that simple. Especially when you're already thin at these positions

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  10. zace

zace Well-Known Member

We're down like 5 starters, i don't know why people keep forgetting this. Of course its gonna be bad. These starters today aren't even our back ups

Pepsiguy5 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  11. mrjet80

L
    Douglas needs another full offseason to get some more players in here. If we don’t see a difference between now and next December then I think it’s fair to stay to question ….

wewantsapp likes this.
  12. mrjet80

I know but it hardly matters. Maye isn’t coming back. The Jets need safeties… they could use a veteran CB…they need outside pass rushers… they could use a rush from the DE position…they need LBs that can cover in space … and Moseley is getting up there. They need a true overhaul. Q, JFM, Hall, and some of those rookie CBs are keepers but maybe only for depth purposes.

They need ALOT of help…

13. zace

zace Well-Known Member

D-line is fine if lawson is back and healthy. Maybe one more from FA.

CB & LB are huge needs. Way more important if you ask me.

Safety you get no arguments, that need a complete overhaul.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  14. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

What totally amazes me is in week 2 NE exposed that we cannot cover a TE, cannot defend a screen pass, cannot stop the run, and have mostly no pass rush, yet 11 games into the season, we still see the same issues game after game. Our secondary plays so far out of whack that today I wondered if they were outside the stadium tailgating. We still see opposing players running free like gazelles all over the place, 3rd and 19 conversions, opponents driving up and down the field at will, and a defense that hardly ever makes a play or gets a key takeaway.

15. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Im not high on Lawson though. These current 4 are having a hard time holding their own stopping the run and he’s not a good pass rusher either. I’d prefer to replace him if it all possible. Maybe get the DE Hutchinson from Michigan. He plays the run well and can rush the passer. But this team also needs 2 linebackers, 2 safeties, and a CB.

16. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

DC Talk aside,
    The personnel currently on the field is a joke.

You have 1 seasoned vet who has been out 2 seasons,
    surrounded by castoffs and rookies. What can possibly go wrong??

Obvious the JETS are just lacking everything rn. There's no fire or signs of life on that D.

17. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I think lawson is going to be huge on this defense and is severely missed.

18. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Yeah it’s just not working and they will have to reevaluate this system or the players. They did go full on youth mode between a mostly all rookie CB group and relative inexperience at LB. Safeties were vets until they both got hurt for the year respectively in Maye and Joyner. The DLine was expected to carry the load but with this system and no true edge threat, it’s just open season.

Royal Tee likes this.
  19. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Never mind. I thought you meant Shaq Lawson. Yeah, if Carl can stay healthy. Would definitely help out next year. But can we really trust this guy to stay on the field?

#39 94Abraham, Dec 5, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  20. mrjet80

Hurchinson keeps moving up the draft board - maybe if Jets dump the last 5 they’d have a chance but I don’t see that happening. The Saints and Jax are winnable games….