Where the #%$! is Peng Shuai?

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Sundayjack, Nov 27, 2021.

1. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I’m guessing most people have seen or heard this news story, at least in passing. I’ve been obsessed with Peng Shuai’s story ever since it hit - both for the story it is today as well as the story it has the potential to become in the coming weeks.

There’s been a ton of reporting on the international drama building around this. Sadly, however, the last real news on Peng was about a week ago when the chief pant-load of IOC decided it would be a really neat idea to pose for a Chinese Communist Party propaganda photo. The photo purports to show him speaking with Peng Shuai on a video call, where she’s supposedly telling him that she’s alive and well and “resting at home”. Of course, no audio of the video call was made available. When this minor issue was pointed out by the Women’s Tennis Association - a group of friggin’ superstars from the moment Peng disappeared - the CCP dropped a crapload of around-the-town photos of Peng to prop up the collapsing narrative. No one has been able to verify any of them.

For those who haven’t been following the story, in a nutshell ….

Peng Shuai is a professional tennis player in her mid-30’s. I don’t know all that much about women’s tennis, but I guess she’s best known these days as a doubles player. On November 2nd, Peng wrote a long post on Weibo, China’s main social media platform, where she told half a million followers about her affair with former Vice Premier and high-ranking secretary of the CCP, Zhang Gaoli. One side note: most of the news stories you’ll read refer to this as Peng alleging she was sexually assaulted. I’m not sure that’s correct. While she certainly does describe being pressured into sex with the communist creep against her will, if you read Peng’s full post, it’s a bit more complicated. She was clearly in love with the guy going back seven years prior when he was spearheading China’s 2022 Winter Olympic bid. She doesn’t go too far into that history, but she suggests that he ended their affair when he took his position on the Politburo. Then, after retiring in 2017, Zhang had someone reach out to Peng to invite her to play tennis. Following that, they went back to his house, she had dinner with him and his wife, after which Zhang put the hard sell on her to return to their boning. She cried and said no multiple times, but eventually, by her own words, she “agreed,” owing to the strong love she felt for him seven years earlier. A whole bunch of fucking apparently followed for the next few years, but also what Peng describes as a deeply loving relationship. He confessed loneliness to her and she to him. They played chess, talked politics and blah blah blah. On more than one occasion, the topic of spending the rest of their lives together came up but, as much as he would like to have divorced his wife, his seniority in the CCP wouldn’t tolerate the embarrassment. I take from Peng’s post that this became a growing source of tension between them. Although, it seems like her bigger issue is how she, an internationally recognized tennis player, was kept in the shadows and treated like a shit-heel by Zhang whenever other people were around, including Zhang’s wife. Things continued to degrade and Peng describes the two having a bad fight on October 30th, followed by a phone call the afternoon of November 2nd, where Zhang denied anything ever happened between them and told Peng to fuck off. Peng must have stewed about that phone call all day long and, sometime around 10pm that night, she posted her long exposé on Weibo. 30 minutes later, her post was deleted and Weibo was sanitized of all references to her or her post. Nothing more has been heard from or about Peng Shuai since. Credit where credit is due - those Chinese communists really are an efficient bunch.

So, that’s the background for those that haven’t heard it and for those who have but are relying on the simplified version the corporate media has been given. The NY Times and WSJ have both had mostly solid reporting. Still, I think we need to be a little careful identifying the concern here. Peng was either disappeared or silenced - that’s the issue. I’ve read quite a few news stories that focus on the “sexual assault” angle and how this is China’s first big #metoo incident. Nah. Sure, it was a tawdry affair; and yes, he used his power and position to dig around in her drawers. I’m just not sure Peng, herself, would use the term “sexual assault”. If so, I’d love to hear that from her directly, and I promise vigorous support from my suburban kitchen table. The problem is - she’s now gone and the CCP’s bullshit attempts at proof-of-life photos only create more questions. That’s the issue for right now.

The really encouraging part of the story is that pressure on the CCP is building each day, and will only continue to build as we get closer to the Beijing Olympics. If Peng is still missing by the time opening ceremonies begin, brace for the international intrigue. But you can read all about that here.

#1 Sundayjack, Nov 27, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    BrowningNagle likes this.
  2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

So are you trying to say that its not a great idea to publicize an affair you've been having with a high ranking flunky in a police state? The things you learn on this here board.

barfolomew likes this.
  3. Sundayjack

So many parts of this story that interest me, but the woman scorned part is high up on that list. She had to know she’d be scooped up the minute she hit send, but she said “fuck it!” and did it anyway.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

At some point, you would think that whole population advantage that China has been waving over the world's head for over a century would backfire on them. This could be the perfect storm for something like that.

Who knew that social media could be what ends global communism?

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Unfortunately this should be a much bigger story than it is. This sort of thing gets buried because so many big businesses and influential wealthy shitheads make tons of money in China.

6. Sundayjack

I know nothing about the politics of international sport, except to say that I’m absolutely-positively-100% sure it’s stocked to the gills with corruptocrats. Here’s where it should start getting a little interesting. The IOC has said it’s “confident” China will allow free and open internet during the Games because that was part of the accepted bid. So, the CCP is supposed to be lifting the wall on Twitter, YouTube, Google and all that nonsense. What happens if they don’t? Or worse, what happens if they do and then, when #whereispengshuai is dominating open social media, they lean heavy on Big Tech to start selectively censoring? Add to that, NBC owns the Olympics broadcast and traded to do this year’s Super Bowl at the same time, so all eyes are going to be on those boobs for most of February. This could get really fun.

Edit to add: IOC says confident on free internet for Beijing 2022 Olympics

#6 Sundayjack, Nov 27, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    abyzmul likes this.
  7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

He looks like a real charmer... :confused:

[​IMG]

8. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Chinaquiddick.

barfolomew likes this.
  9. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Maybe she's in one of the concentration camps in the southwest no one seems interested in confronting China about.

jilozzo likes this.
  10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Think they have her making sneakers?

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think that's the upper class. Political prisoners make iPhones and Kardashian beauty products.

12. Sundayjack

Have faith in the IOC to hold China to a free and open Olympics?

Chump.

Credit to Christiane Amanpour, who I generally think of as a dumb person trading off a British accent to sound smart. This was a solid interview.

#12 Sundayjack, Nov 28, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
  13. Sundayjack

Contrast that interview with this one from the head of the Women’s Tennis Association. The only reason Peng Shuai is anything more than a blip in the news is because of the WTA. This guy is fantastic.

14. jetophile

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/59498779

The WTA just suspended all tournaments in China over the disappearance, lack of transparency, and obvious manufactured bullshit on Peng Shuai. Whoa, Nellie. China immediately scrubbed the internet there about it and Weibo is next.

She's in a prison cell, no question. House money that they'll parade her around during the Olympics opening ceremony, probably even make her light the torch as she smiles away? TBD.

I'm pleasantly shocked that for once someone had the balls to put morals over money. Don't get me started on Disney. They're destestable in general.

15. jetophile

Ha, I momentarily forgot about this one. Images of Winnie the Pooh are banned in China because folks went on this tear on social media that Xi Jinping looks like him. I'm not sure how far back that goes (a year?), but I do know I stumbled across that tidbit at some point.

Anyway, during this Peng is joyful and free as a bird charade, the CCP released a photo of a happy Peng Shuai with a purposely staged framed picture of her posing with . . . Winnie the Pooh. Ah, our fears about her fate have been assuaged because we released a photo of her with a banned image! Now THAT'S how you do propaganda.

[​IMG]

#15 jetophile, Dec 2, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
  16. jetophile

Heh, btw, can we all just agree that LeBron James is a tremendous hypocrite? That would not only make my day, it would make my year.

Hemi likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You’re right - big nuts move by the WTA. Something that no other company in the world wants to do especially as they ignore China’s concentration camps and slave labor.

But I’m sure (as you said) this will be resolved rather quickly and she’ll be the centerpiece of their grand Olympic display. Because she could probably just get out of the country but she’ll risk having everyone she’s ever looked at imprisoned or killed especially if she talks.

18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The ChiComs will not that young lady near any form of transport that could get her out of the country.

19. jetophile

She'll have more time to work on her trichotillomania.

Cman68 likes this.
  20. Sundayjack

I want to say that I can’t believe that the IOC could be such enabling dupes with this level of gusto - except I can. It’s infuriating. At the same time, when the whole world is bending over for a proper sodomizing by the CCP, the WTA is doubling down in its resolve. Amazing to see, and so encouraging.

#20 Sundayjack, Dec 3, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2021