Rex Ryan: "Don't ever compare this guy to me"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Nov 15, 2021.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Positive. Don't know about timeouts though

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You're right about the penalties, I found a site that lists all for the season but I know they've had to call (waste) timeouts, including at least once today. In looking it up a few things bounced off the page related to coaching. Five for illegal formation and four for delay of game. There have also been six for roughing the passer which sounds way too high - the Jets lead the league in that one.

3. Falco21

I expect delay of games with a new system and 4 qbs, one of which is a rookie, the other a first time starter in the NFL.

The roughing the passer penalties don't surprise me in this weak ass league today. I specifically remember a few of those being absolutely ridiculous.

I do agree about the forced timeouts though. Again, not shocked given he is a first year head coach. If it continues that way, then I see that as a problem.

4. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Interestingly enough, there is a similar problem at the moment with the England rugby team. At one point in their game against South Africa this weekend England had given away 18 penalties as opposed to just four by South Africa. It has been a theme for a long time with England and it has cost them games (in rugby, penalties meant the opposition can have a pop at goal from the spot of the foul, for three points). The media has made a point of it, but the coaches keep saying, 'we play on the edge and we aren't going to change', so it doesn't change. Of course, they aren't playing on the edge, they are clearly playing over the edge, and the staff could make it a point of emphasis to take a half step back to stop the flow of penalties. It wouldn't eliminate all of them, but it would eliminate the majority, and it is clearly possible to do because South Africa are maybe the most physical, brutal team in the game and they had only given away four penalties deep into the second half (and none at all in a second half that had seen them erase England's half-time lead and edge in front).

So if the coaches want to stop penalties, they will be able to stop a lot of them. Not all of them, but a lot and maybe even the majority. It would make a difference. It takes emphasis in practice, drumming it into some thick skulls, and it takes accountability when players do dumb things.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

delay of game is never acceptable. They are professionals, they ought to be able to get the ball snapped. That’s bare minimum stuff

6. BrowningNagle

Yes the coaches can definitely make penalties a point of emphasis and reduce them. It starts in practice. Have a heavy whistle in practice all week and punish them every time they commit a penalty. The players (vets) will hate it so much but it will help on Sundays

ukjetsfan likes this.
  7. Falco21

Meh, Jets are middle of the league in delay of games this year. New England and Jacksonville are right there with them. All have rookie qbs.

ouchy likes this.
  8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

We lost the game yesterday when an undrafted rookie cb blew his assignment leaving a man wide open for a long TD. Or maybe when JFM felt the need to justify his née contract by pushing the QB after a big 3rd down stop. Or maybe it was when the refs called a ticky tack PI on another big 3rd down stop.

Jets fans continue to take 50 years of frustration out on this regime like they had anything to do with any of it.

Everyone knew this year would be a struggle as they have the youngest team in the league with still some glaring holes. Yet as the team is struggling Jets fans are acting surprised and playing the blame game which has become just as pathetic as the 50 years of ineptitude.

A blind man could see that the Jets are on the right path. They have the most young talent on offense since the 80s. They are coming off a draft that looks like it could be franchise altering and are going to have a shit ton more high picks in the next draft.

As we know being Jets fans being in the right path don’t mean shit until it translates to wins but let it play out for gods sake. How can you guys call yourselves men and whine so damn much. My god.

Hemi, dawinner127, cval and 2 others like this.
  9. BrowningNagle

Young team or not, a home game against a 3-7 team should be a win at this point in the rebuild. It is not asking too much

Jets69, papapump and Acad23 like this.
  10. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

If I was a rational person I’d be far more concerned with the team that won yesterday being in year 3 of the rebuild and blowing most of the high picks they have collected.

Jets future looks far brighter than Dolphins future.

dawinner127, IDFjet and cval like this.
  11. BrowningNagle

uh huh, we'll see about that...

12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Yes and no. 4 defensive starters were rookies and one of them went undrafted. Our two starting safeties are out, one of the starters wasn’t only starting their first game but playing in their first ever NFL game and was bagging groceries last week and the other is the worst safety I’ve ever seen. We have 1 starting LB playing. I’m not gonna pretend like it shouldn’t be better, especially up front, but I do think injuries and inexperience are a very legitimate excuse and to bring it back to the main point… the Dolphins looked like shit against arguably the worst defense in the NFL for all the reasons mentioned above. They are going nowhere fast.

IDFjet and cval like this.
  13. Ralebird

Every team in the league must deal with the rules - the Jets are among the worst in penalties largely reliant on coaching as well as overall. You may accept it, or write it off as rookie mistakes; I am not so forgiving. I don't think a guy who has been coaching in the league for a decade and was a coordinator for four can lean on his "rookie" HC status to excuse it.

papapump likes this.
  14. Falco21

Your comments would hold more weight if the Jets were in fact "amongst the worst in penalties". The Jets are middle of the league in penalties.

Carolina
    Cleveland
    Dallas
    Philly
    Buffalo
    Miami
    Vegas
    Minnesota
    Houston
    Tennessee
    Kansas City
    Tampa Bay
    Jacksonville
    Chargers

All have more penalties than the jets

dawinner127 and FJF like this.
  15. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Hate to say it, and hopefully he’s right and I’m wrong, but Rex’s flip-flip lessened my respect for him.

16. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

That all depends on if Wilson pans out, if not, that will over shadow all the other picks, last years draft will be all about finding the franchise QB, if they missed yet again, it will be just another typical Jets draft failu.

ouchy and Stevied like this.
  17. Ralebird

Except you edited my comment which read "...penalties largely reliant on coaching...".

18. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

I think Rex is a great guy that truly cares about the Jets even though he's no longer the coach. We've always known Rex to be a loyal guy to a fault. Why would this be any different? It doesn't make Rex a bad guy and I truly wish he'd eventually get hired again so he could finish the job he started so well....

Sack exchange and LAJet like this.
  19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Absolutely, positively 100% on the money. We knew it was a tough go, we knew we had to be patient, we knew we had problems with a young team yelling, starting with coaching, But all that went out the window and In typical Jet fashion the fifty years of frustration take precedence over everything if you don’t win games immediately . Point of fact, the past has zero bearing with this new leadership except to build a winner the right way. Unfortunately for many, they expect the winning record to start from day one,or throw the baby out with the bath water once again.
    Like it or not, this is a three year journey before any major changes will be even considered.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

This is patently untrue. There were lots of games where the D was unprepared and didn't shot up until late, if at all. Go check the boxscores from games in 2011 and after, especially following Bye weeks.