Requiem for the 2021 NY Jets..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 15, 2021.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The reality is, there is no single facet of this team that doesn't deserve the criticism it gets. No amount of happy thoughts can pull the stink off this pile. 2021 is over. Why you might ask is there no talent on the roster? Could it be because we don't draft any? Perhaps the talent we have is so poorly coached that its wasted in a pool of ineptitude. Who knows but here it is folks:

Our Special Teams are the cream of the crap. Berrios is perhaps the slowest KR/PR guy in the league. He does a great FC though. The kicking game is the most consistent part of this entire franchise. Must be all the practice they get punting and FG's.

Offense is still LaFleur's baby and it continues to show. He's still pass happy even when the defense has adjusted to take away his plan A. The Defense has literally fallen apart and no, the blame is not squarely on the "young" secondary. There's no Pass Rush. There's no containment on runs. There's huge gaps up the middle. Nothing is right.

On the sidelines, our new HC pretends to be in control of everything when in fact, his facial expressions show otherwise when there is an expression to show. Being stoic on the sidelines may play well to the Woody Johnsons and Joe Douglas's of the world, but when your entire team becomes stoic as well, that's almost a catatonic state and the team does look like on most plays, its sleep walking. That there is no accountability for poor play doesn't help as more than one guy should have been benched long ago.

All in all, the team takes on the persona of its leadership. Especially a team with so many young players evidently learning the wrong way to win. As long as you can sell the future, there's no sense of urgency to correct things in the present.

Somewhere, Adam "CrazyEyes" Gase is laughing his ass off. Probably at MacCagnan's house for a Sunday BBQ. Idzik is bringing the beer..

Pepsiguy5, ouchy and Since1969 like this.
  2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Crazy to think that this mess of a team has already won as many as the 20' team, though, to be fair, they should have won 3.

It's never been great to be a Jets fan but this past decade has set a new precedent in terms of being horrible.

• They'll either tie or break their own record for most consecutive seasons without a playoff birth
    • They still don't know if they've found a keeper at QB
    • No offensive/defensive identity
    • They still share a stadium (probably the least shitty thing here)
    • They're still owned by Woody
    • Team culture is still awful
    • They're making boat loads of money anyway

Now that I see it in print nothings changed at all aside of breaking their latest "record".

I sincerely hope that none of you let this team affect your mood, your day, etc. There was a time for that but they haven't been worth any kind of emotional bandwidth in years.

Cman68 likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

4. NCJetsfan

Cman, you can say that there is no talent on this team as many times as you want, but it doesn't make it true! Are we where we want to be? No, but with the horrible roster shape that Idzik and Mac left this team, our talent problems were never going away in 1-2 years. It's going to take 1-2 more offseasons for our talent to be where we want it to be. That still doesn't mean that we have no talent on this team. I get that you're frustrated and maybe just venting, but you know as well as I that JD has added some serious talent to this team in his two offseasons via the draft, FA and trades.

5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I'm done pulling punches. Saleh seems like a bad hire but it goes much deeper.

Our entire roster is a testament to the utter team building failure of Joe Douglas. He isn't qualified to build a winning team and he never will be. Nice guy, makes good trades - but cant build a decent team to save his life. He's had an almost dream scenario of resources the last TWO offseasons to assemble a quality team. In the end we got nothing...nothing. You telling me after all the insane draft capital we've had and 200 million dollars to spend this is all we got?

He just cobbles things together with no overall plan, no real eye for talent, and a cheapskate approach. We followed his path and it ended at a dumpster fire.

BacktoQueens and Acad23 like this.
  6. Cman68

You missed the part where I said perhaps the talent is so poorly coached that its wasted. Honestly, we really don't have a lot of talent on this roster. Not enough to compete on a NFL level week in and week out. The rest of the OP was about the leadership which I know you support. Why you support it is because you say there's not enough talent on the roster for them to work with.

Its always gonna take 1 or 2 more drafts. Been saying that for decades now. Selling the future is something the Jet PR dept. has mastered. Some people buy into it. Some don't anymore.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It seemed like the running game was working fine in the first half when the game was within reach enough to not have to abandon it. But boy did we abandon it.

The team also looks incredibly flat and disinterested. That’s an indictment on the head coach that doesn’t really seem to bring a whole lot of X’s and O’s to the table as evident by his vanilla defense and non-existent adjustments.

IDFjet and Acad23 like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

No, I saw that, and am agreement that the CS has been pretty awful this season. At least LaFleur has shown some signs of learning and improvement, but neither Saleh nor the D CS have (except the DB coaches). I disagree that we don't have a lot of talent on this roster or not enough to compete on an NFL level week in and week out. That's where I fault the CS. If the team was prepared to play, disciplined, and played with some fire and passion, they would be competitive.

Following is how I break down the talent on the team. (in no certain order)

Offense: Wilson, Becton, AVT, Fant, Carter, Johnson, Moore, Davis, Crowder, McGovern, Cole, Coleman, White, Mims and Smith

Defense: Quinnen Williams, JFM, Rankins, Huff, C. Lawson, Fatukasi, Mosely, Nasirildeen, Hall, Carter II, Davis, Joyner, Sherwood, Maye, Guidry, Marshall

STs: Hardee, Mann, Hennessy, Ammendola

That's 35 of 53 players. The others have talent too, or they wouldn't be in the NFL. We have holes and we could upgrade our depth, but imo the biggest problem is with our CS and the lack of development they are doing. That's the problem with hiring a first-time HC. It takes time for them to learn and develop how they do things. We've only had two really good, experienced HCs in our history, Weeb and Tuna. They don't grow on trees. We were lucky to get Tuna for a couple of years. Even then he ran off players like Hugh Douglas. Unfortunately, we didn't hire a quality GM and HC to replace him, and that's why we are where we are. There's a reason why former HCs are usually available..i.e., because they and their CSs weren't very good at player development, at building a winner, at instilling discipline, or winning. Sometimes a few of those retreads learn and improve after some time to think for a few years, but most usually fail again. Unfortunately, that leaves us with having to hire rookie, first-time NFL HCs who were either coordinators or hiring a collegiate HC. It takes skill and luck to find the right guy, and then you've got to have the right GM that can scout and supply the talent needed and retain the players you want to keep. I believe we finally have the right GM. It remains to be seen whether Saleh is the right HC.

I wish the NFL were more like the business world. In the business world managers get all kinds of on the job training, seminars, mentorships, etc. to help them succeed. There's nothing like that in the NFL. It's sink or swim, and most wind up drowining.

9. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

10. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Should have won 3? Last year or this year?

This year's team could EASILY be winless right now.

11. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

This past decade has been bad #BUT# from 1970-1980 they had (3) 3-11 seasons in 3 consecutive years no less, (2) 4-10 seasons and (1) 4-12 season. This past decade they've had (2) 4 win seasons.... no comparison imho...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I assume he meant last year with the Raiders game.

I think the Jets will win at least 3 more games this year. Miami, Houston and Jacksonville.

13. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

From '11-'21 they've had (1) 2-14 season, (2) 4-12 seasons, and (2) 5-11 seasons, and we don't know what'll happen this season, but all this has happened with 2 additional games (3 this year) per season.

It's splitting hairs, though.

3, 4, 5 wins...none of those teams were sniffing the playoffs. Arguably this decade is worse because they couldn't even lose right. After a certain point it's a race to the bottom and they still only manage 2nd-5th in that regard. I'd say its more about how the games actually went. Did any of those teams give up as many points as this one did over the past 4 games, or score as few as some of the Gase stretches? Honest question.

14. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

The Raiders game last season should have been a W as evidenced by Williams immediate termination. They sucked ass but they should have been 3-13.

15. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

You remember how exciting our return guys were, Chad Morton, Leon Washington, brad Smith, I miss those days, offense starting. Off it midfield

cval likes this.
  16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

And those olines. Brick, Faneca, Mawai, Woody, etc. We even had depth. Our guys we’re targeted in free agency.

What a time to be a Jets fan. Didn’t realize it would be downhill from there.

17. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

[​IMG]

I think this is most of us right now. I've been wildly wrong before, but one of my biggest whoppers - and I've had some doozies - was that the Jets couldn't possibly be worse than last year. What was I thinking? The only thing in my defense just a bit is I'm pretty sure there were plenty of others right along with me. : /

18. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

For the record, Berrios is the 8th rated punt returner in the league in regards to average yards per return.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. Cman68

That may be true, but Berrios is slow as hell. If he's rated 8th, then that facet of the game has certainly changed for the worse. Right now Berrios reminds me of Dedric Ward.

20. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I understand your point, but Berrios also does run a 4.44.

I disagree entirely regarding our kick returning. Berrios has always been good this year.

You are right about that facet of the game. Guys are faster and quicker and the punters have gotten better. Leads to less explosive returns like the past days. Hell, Berrios is doing better than guys like Harmon and Kamara. He's averaging 12.8 yards per return which is a very high number

NCJetsfan likes this.