2022 Prospects to look at

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, May 5, 2021.

1. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

My jaw was on the floor watching him. Anyone with a basketball background is usually a great bet to be a good WR. Lucky for us, it’s a deep WR class. Olave, Wilson, Bell, Dotson etc. I’d say we target him late round 1 trade back or trade up. Don’t think he makes it past early early rd2 if that.

2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Re sign Cole for starters. Definitely need a legit play making TE.

3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

@Jonathan_Vilma mentioned LaPorta. I don't know much about him, but his school has produced some good ones recently.

4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I personally like McBride but I’ll look up LaPorta

wewantsapp likes this.
  5. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

I like McBride as well. This might be a stretch but he reminds me of Mark Andrews coming out of Oklahoma.

6. wewantsapp

We do need LB help but I'm just not sure Christian Harris is it. Having a down season this year. Though he seemed to do very well w/Quinnen Williams & Christian Barmore in front of him. Maybe 4th rounder.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I like McBride a lot too. He should be a steal for someone because he’s been in that rocky program. He should’ve been a standout and second round pick with good production the past two years but that weird douchey coach they have switch to a QB run heavy offense and benched the throwing QB they had (forget his name). Some team is going to get a steal with McBride.

I like LaPorta in the mid rounds, and Kolar from ISU as well. It’s a good year to grab one of these guys.

Full disclosure on LaPorta - I might like him more because of the recent pedigree of great Iowa tightends. He seems like he’s got some wheels and would block well in a zone though. Good feet.

#147 Jonathan_Vilma, Nov 12, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
    mrjet80 likes this.
  8. CotcheryFan

Ok, what about LSU's Damone Clark?

9. WoodyHarrelson

It could very well be

1. Thibidoux
    2. Hutchinson

in the draft. Hope we are able to land one of them.

10. wewantsapp

Yes. Big fan. Would love to get him early 3rd round pick, but might have to use the latter 2nd rounder.

11. wewantsapp

I like Clark a lot better than Brandon Smith Penn St.

Didn’t like anything about Smith after watching the Michigan game yesterday.

12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

For WR we still have davis and moore as starters and berrios who is a solid 4 and smith who seems to be a solid 5 plus mims. so really i'd just resign 1 of cole or crowder. both are pretty legit WR3s it's a tough call but i'd be happy keeping either one. For TE I think we resign kroft and hopefully land wydermeyer in the 2nd. we can give yeboah another year to see what he's got and plus we still have wesco. that should be all for TEs. on offense in the draft I want a TE and OG. the rest of our picks should go to defense. we need EDGE, LBer, and safety badly. probably 2 LBers, 2 safeties, and edge with our top pick. I wouldn't use any day 1 or 2 picks on a WR. I really like calvin austin III as a 4-5th rounder which is where he is projected. fits our offense great too. he's like a low budget elijah moore

joelip and KingRoach like this.
  14. WoodyHarrelson

Michigan OSU will be great. Want to see

Hutchinson if we pick top5.

ojabo and Petrie Ferrar if we trade back in round 1. Either way, it’s a huge test for the OSU tackle who may fall in that late first range like Wirfs did.

15. WoodyHarrelson

Some thoughts

1. I think pick 1 will be between Thibideaoux, Hutchinson or Stingley. I guess Neal as well

2. I feel as if Fant has played well this year. He’s up for pro bowl voting. Maybe RT is not a huge need just yet. The issue is do we need to draft Bectons replacement if he can’t stay healthy? Big drop off in talent after Neal but again, this is for RT for now so some good day 2 players like Pettite Ferrare of OSU

3. IOL is sully a position to get in day 2. We got AVT and that’s great but just so many holes. I think we can mix and match day 2 to get a good OG and C combo or use FA. Zion Johnson round 2?

4. Kyle Hamilton. No reason to trade Jamal to sue our pick on KH. He’s good and I don’t think Jamal is all he was hyped up to be but seems safety is something we can trust rounds 2-3. Marcus Maye was just as effective as Jamal and he was a day 2 pick. Brandon Joseph or Battle day 2?

5. See pick. Ideally we can trade this one back a touch a grab a second round pick.

16. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Looking at who is under contract for 2022 and beyond, the Jets have primary needs at:

-Edge
    -IOL
    -TE
    -LB
    -CB
    -S

And secondary needs at:

-IDL
    -WR
    -RB
    -OT

It’s a strong class for Edge, CB, OT, WR, and TE from what I’ve seen so far. I will say that the WR prospects seem to be flowing forth in a fashion hitherto unseen over the last 3 years, so maybe this is just the new norm?

Regardless of where the Jets end up picking, there will be talented players available just based on the strength of the class compared to the primary needs of the Jets.

Douglas is a draft-first GM meaning he probably has had an eye towards future prospects each year.

In 2020 he took an OT and a WR in an OT/WR heavy draft.

In 2021 he took at QB, WR, and RB in a QB/WR/RB heavy draft.

In 2022 he will have plenty of opportunities to take an Edge, CB and TE. I wouldn’t be surprised if he attacks IOL in Free Agency since it’s not a draft strength.

17. WoodyHarrelson

Prospects I love:

1. Aiden Hutchinson and Thibeduox
    2. Andrew Booth and Stingley
    3. Brandon Joseph
    4 David Bell
    5. Evan Neal and Linderbaum
    6 Jordan Davis but a luxury to draft a NT
    7. Cade Mays
    8. Nakobe Dean
    9. Chris Olave and Garret Wilson

18. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I think with this kind of draft capital we should get 5 guaranteed starters out of this draft.

In terms of need this is how I see it:

1st(A) - Edge
    1st(B) - CB
    2nd(A) - LB
    2nd(B) - OL
    3rd - TE

19. CotcheryFan

That would be a nice haul. It would give the defense more building blocks and address the biggest issue on offense.

Rockinz likes this.
  20. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

The Jets have 9 picks, and a bunch of high picks as well. I think it’s a great opportunity to trade back and accumulate picks for 2023, because a lot of teams under value future picks. I understand why Douglas didn’t last draft, because they prioritized building the offense for the rookie QB, but this year they can trade back and still acquire plenty of defensive talent. It’s a great way to start the trend of having extra picks every year.