The NY Jets have officially won the Sam Darnold trade

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Nov 8, 2021.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Totally different dynamic.

One has been in the league less than 200 days and is in his rookie season. The other has been in the league for 4 years.

cmcm750203, Borat, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  2. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

I agree that's most likely true. But, just for the sake of debate, I do wonder what would have happened to Darnold if he had been drafted by, say, the Patriots, Packers, Saints...some team with a future HOF QB at the end of his career, sat and learned for a couple years, and then got a shot, rather than being thrown onto a mess of a team with no weapons, no O-line, and no quality coaches and told "Okay, savior. Turn this team around!"

3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Oh this is such an annoying argument/question.

Sam Darnold was not ruined by the Jets. Sam Darnold has sucked his entire career and always will. They just surrounded him with a shitload of weapons and an entirely new franchise and system, yet he still sucks balls

REVISion likes this.
  4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

He has the exact same problems he had as a college QB. The Jets didn't ruin him.

Borat and Since1969 like this.
  5. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Who knows, but he went to a team with the best RB/offensive playmaker in the game, decent receivers, and a very highly regarded OC and still face planted. If the Jets ruined him, I'd guess he would have opened the year poorly and then started to improve as he distanced himself from his time with the Jets, but it's been the opposite. I wonder if they'll let him play longer or see what they have in PJ Walker, who I think had a lousy debut this year. Given what they've committed to Darnold, I have to think he'll get more chances even though it's looking pretty bleak for him a starting QB in the NFL.

REVISion likes this.
  6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

3 out of our 4 qb's have shown they can play the position at a level above Sam Darnold.

It's our defense that sucks at this point. That's why we're losing games.

Borat likes this.
  7. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

Why is it an annoying question? People can be ruined when placed into situations that are bad for their professional development. I'm not saying that IS the case; in fact, I'm leaning towards Darnold just being a bust. But I was just raising the possibility that had he been allowed to develop more slowly that maybe he'd have more success. We'll never know though.

barfolomew likes this.
  8. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

Boomer Esiason blamed Sam Darnold's lack of success on the Jets yesterday which kind of aggravated me a bit. Not sure how the Jets are responsible for his current failures. He actually had his best game of the season against us LOL, but that not withstandiong, he looks like the same QB we saw for 3 years here. Starts out great, then regresses through the game and season. I never recall once where he brought us back to win a game that we were trailing late, in any game he played. To the contrary, if we played a superior oppnnent which the Jets always did/do, he played like he wanted no part of that game and just gave up, like yesterday for example. Really sad to watch his demise. Oh and his WR partner there is nothing but a skinny assed little do nothing punk who should be cut for yeslling at his QB in front of everyone on the sideline.

bicketybam likes this.
  9. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

The hope is we pick decent player with the picks we got for Sam. Again, this has nothing to do with Wilson. Wilson could be a total bust and it will really have no bearing on the compensation we got for Sam.

Borat, NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  10. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

i'll break this trade down from my really pointless point of view.

1. The decision which tore the fan base in half this off-season has proven to be the correct one. It's was correct to change our QB situation (still a long way to see if we made the correct choice in replacement).

2. Feel for Sam, I like the lad but I also feel like this is half and half of poor qb and bad situations with us that helped create this. However a QB refusing to change their mechanics moving into the NFL and every year since gets what they get. Sam and Allen both have the same outside coach and have been doing what they need too. Look what Allen has done. Think Sam has a touch of ignorance about his own coaching.

The key conversation this off-season with our new staff, could have broken down to "hows he take to coaching"

3. Panthers are goosed. They picked up Sam's option for next year too. A dynamic offense as we saw with teddy last year and reduced to this.

We can all move on from Sam and Robby now. We're not missing top players and neither will become top players. Again, feel sorry for Sam but kinda happy this decision has shown to be the correct one for the Jets. It's a little bitter sweet to be honest!

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

#50 apjbfc, Nov 8, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  11. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

You make an excellent point . Two decisions were made. 1) the decision to move on from Sam Darnold. 2) to draft Wilson at #2 as his replacement. Whether we made the right decision on drafting Wilson is independent of the first decision we made in moving on from Sam. I don't believe you can point to Wilson's development this year and judge the decision to move on from Sam. Sam had 3 years and we were at the point when a decision needed to be made with his option. Douglas was on the fence and I really believe he had a difficult time making the call he made. But in the end I think he made the right decision.

Brook!, Borat, NCJetsfan and 3 others like this.
  12. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Great comparison. I'm going to start comparing the intelligence of my 3 yr old to my 5 month old

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The other issue is that if we had kept those 3-second round picks and Mac had gotten lucky with them, he might still be our GM and Gase might still be our HC.

KingRoach likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Not for long. Darnold's a 4th year vet. His QBR should be higher, a lot higher, than a rookie QB's QBR. The fact that it isn't say volumes about what a bust Sam Darnold is and was.

Losmeister, NYGANGGREEN and Borat like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

No, they didn't ruin him. They didn't help him a whole lot, but I think he was destined to fail. He simply isn't that talented. He doesn't have the football IQ or the right mental makeup, or the accuracy to ever succeed.

Losmeister and Borat like this.
  16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

It was good to move on from Sam...now keeping fingers crossed on Zach!

Borat and cval like this.
  17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

We kinda kill Mac for drafting Sam with only a limited college experience to go on.....but there's at least one GM who traded for Sam with 3 bad NFL years to go on, and he STILL did it!

Brook! and Acad23 like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

Maybe I'm a cold, callous bastard, but I don't feel badly for Sam at all. I think it's his own laziness or stubbornness which has resulted in his not changing his mechanics, and thus continuing to struggle with accuracy. Either he's just dumb, has a very low football IQ, is lazy and doesn't study film, or doesn't know how to study film. It's his 4th year in the NFL there's really no excuse for not being able to read the D and make good decisions. Sam couldn't do it with a gun held to his head. He deserves all the bad press, screaming teammates, and whatever bad comes his way. He has taken teams' money, hurt his teammates with his lousy play, and risked their health with his wild, inaccurate throws. If there wasn't such a scarcity of QBs in the NFL, I'd say he'd be out of the NFL within a year or two, but he'll probably manage to hang on as a backup with some team.

#58 NCJetsfan, Nov 8, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
    Leicester Jet and NYGANGGREEN like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Spot on