Mike White Contract 2022

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 88toon, Nov 5, 2021.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If you think it low, so be it. I think that anyone who thinks that White is a better QB than Zach and thinks he can be our FQB based upon one start is simply delusional. That's my opinion. If you don't like it, too bad. Put me on ignore. I could care less.

2. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

With all due respect, I dont care what he did in college. The same way I dont care what Tom Brady did in college, or literally any other player. This is the NFL. As an NFL QB, he has been a bad player.

Just to be clear, I didnt even say he's going to be a bad player, nor did I say he is a bust. I just said that right now White is the better QB and that it may benefit Zach to sit down a bit.

And I've never done this before, but due to your last sentence I need to block you. You're a douchebag who acts like he knows it all, and is wrong a shit ton. Its OK to be wrong on things, lord knows I've been wrong. But if you're going to be wrong AND a jackass, I have no time for you.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Everyone’s crazy with what Mike White will be and all, but there’s no need to conflate college and the pro’s any longer. Wilson is in the NFL. What he did in college is now irrelevant.

NYJFOREVER and Ralebird like this.
  4. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I think this is fair point. I wouldn't put any significant money on White being a franchise QB.

Having said that, given what I've seen so far, I'd like to confirm whether he is or isn't this season. I don't care where a star QB comes from as long as he gets here.

Hopefully one of them becomes one, thats all I care about lol.

All Gas No Shake and Ralebird like this.
  5. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

This is exactly where I am. I can believe it is more likely that Zach winds up the long-time Jets QB than White, but that doesn't mean I will ignore the fact that White has looked better than Zach so far this year. I'm not going to kick White to the curb because he was a fifth-round pick and I'm not going to anoint Zach because he was No. 2 overall.

White was looking really good AGAIN in his second start and I hope the team doesn't just ignore that because, you know... he was a fifth-round pick and is therefore crap.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  6. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Mike white could be our Gardner Minshew type QB for the next few years.

Big love in the locker room for white, he obviously has a better understanding than Zack currently on how to run this system and prep for a game week.

This doesn't dismiss Zack at all and I quite like the fact that Zack has some competition and seen how much better this O has been without him.

Overall, I just want a QB, it doesn't matter who.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

7. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

Need to take about 10% off the top there, Super Chief. ....Take a breath.

reality check: Fans of a perpetual shit team are commiserating and trying to keep a lost season interesting on a message board.

They don't know anything definitively about either of these QB's. no one does, present company included.

Ralebird and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Very true. Mark Sanchez had a 65.8 completion percentage his last year in college. I'm the pros it was 56.6% (and even lower with the Jets.)

9. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

NC

Take it easy man. Stop insulting posters for having a different opinion than you. Fuck Zach, fuck White. None of us know for sure what future holds for them. Allow people to have a different opinion than you my friend.

10. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Mike Whites first start was so good, it certainly deserves another start. It’s a shame that he got injured in his second but he was off to another good start.

Zach is likely the QB of the future but this season is not only about the development of Zach Wilson but also the development of all the young players. Right now at least the offense has looked infinitely better with any QB other than Zach Wilson and if that continues than Zach might have to have the rest of the season redshirted.

All Gas No Shake and Ralebird like this.
  11. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

https://nypost.com/2021/11/08/jets-wont-play-zach-wilson-until-hes-fully-healthy/
    Teams have backup QBs so they don’t have to rush starters back from injury. This is especially true when it’s a 22yo kid with a ton of talent. Let the kid recover, and let the slightly older kid take some lumps against the Jills. The Jets aren’t in the playoff hunt, and there’s no reason to risk the future (Wilson) on this game.

cval, Borat and bicketybam like this.
  12. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

All good comments. It further proves that many here have stated that they ll support and believe that ZW is the QB for the future. Hopefully NC is right that he ll be the FQB but I just want him to a good QB who learns to play properly. Whether or not that means he makes a few starts or none for the rest of the season, I ll leave to the best man to make the decision, Saleh. Meanwhile while many here believes White is not the FQB, not sure who stated that, but if he s healthy deserves another start IMO. And If he sucks vs the bills so be it he s a back up QB anyway. But if Zach sucks vs the Bills, that will be tough on the kid and try to recover.

papapump likes this.
  13. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

There are plenty of good reasons to roll with White, at least for the time being.

1. There's no shot at the playoffs and never was. This year is about development, not just at the QB position, but the entire team, especially the offense. White was stable, albeit more conservative, at the most critical position in sports. That alone gives the players around him a chance to find their footing and develop into actual NFL players.

2. White is under contract for this year before becoming a restricted free agent. Find out what you have now before you must decide on whether to tender an offer and what the tender will be.

3. By contrast, Zach is contracted for at least four seasons, five if he develops into a quality starter and the Jets exercise their option. There's no rush to throw him to the wolves again, no rookie is hurt by watching and learning the game from the sidelines.

4. The team clearly rallied around White, there's a lot to be said for that. They seem to believe in him. That's not a knock on Zach in any way, White was simply more proficient.

The magic may wear off, and probably will. In the meantime, there's nothing to lose and plenty to gain by rolling with White until the magic does wear off.

papapump, Ralebird and NYGANGGREEN like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sigh, It's not about my opinion. It's about forming an opinion about a player after one start. That's like judging a draft before 3 years, or claiming that a rookie is a bust. It's irrational, and makes no sense for anyone who knows anything about football. That is my point. On a football forum I expect posters to have a minimal, basic knowledge of the game, and understand why one shouldn't form an opinion about a player after just one game, but I guess that's expecting too much. Sorry.

#94 NCJetsfan, Nov 8, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    cval likes this.
  15. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

We are in the unusual position (for the Jets) of having two promising quarterbacks. It is important that we get a solid grasp on what each guy is capable of, so that we don't let the wrong one go. Because we are going to let one of these guys go eventually. The days of keeping the same backup (like Don Strock with the Dolphins or Pat Ryan with the Jets) for year after year are long gone.

I am not invested in either player. I couldn't care less which of them proves to be the better QB, as long as one of them turns out to be good enough to be the QB of this team for a decent stretch. I'm not even greedy, I'm not even going to ask for 10 years out of him.

There is a lot of emotion in this thread, with some people seeming to want one or other of these two guys to fail, to prove themselves right. I hope the coaching staff isn't similarly blinded by emotion. There is huge pressure on the franchise as a whole to prove they were right to take Zach Wilson, but in his first NFL action he has looked to be over his head. White, in his first NFL action, did something no other quarterback has done in the history of the game. Some point out that White should be the better QB at this stage of his career, because he has been in the NFL for a few seasons, but he has done his learning from the bench, the same bench so many people say could teach Zach nothing at all.

Some say the offensive coordinator was holding Zach back. Then they say that same offensive coordinator is the reason White looked so good. People are judging these two guys against completely contradictory measuring sticks.

I hope both get a chance to play more this season, because we need to pick the right one.

Cidusii likes this.
  16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Stop with the "if you knew anything..." bullshit. You hold yourself up as some kind of all-knowing expert and constantly get exposed for what you don't know. Neither the front office nor the coaching staff is giving away anything to anyone and for you to believe that what they say in press conferences is somehow connected to the inner workings is, at best, naive. You're too old and have been around way too long for you to think that this time they're all telling you exactly what you want to hear.

Face the facts - your boy Wilson has been crap so far this season; the only bright spots for the Jets have come when White and Johnson were pressed into action. Just let Wilson ride the pine for a while and maybe get worked in for garbage time or injury relief. You play to win the game!

dawinner127 and jcass10 like this.
  17. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

With Zach I think back to training camp when he was trying to see what he could get from the D instead of taking what it gives.

Someone said you play how you practice. That might be part of the problem here.

If course there are other factors. Drops, poor OL play, no running game, poor play calling.

Actually that’s a lot of other factors.

I think we’ll get to see how much was Zach and how much wasn’t at some point during the rest of the season. No need to rush him back though.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I like White, 2 starts in his career though and hes had to leave the game from injury at some point in both of them. Stay on the field man and dont blow your chance!!
    --

by the way, White was the first Jets backup QB to win a game in 5 years. Which is kinda sad because if anyone knows anything about Jets fans its that we LOVE backup QBs. Thats 5 years we havent been able to experience our bread and butter. Then we finally get it in a huge way and he gets hurt

19. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I think White should start vs Buffalo, but the people who are saying sit Wilson because Buffalo is going to abuse Wilson need to take a second and look at this.

NCJetsfan and ouchy like this.
  20. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Wilson has already proven he can take a beating. I want him to sit out because I think his knee could use the additional rest. We are not in a playoff situation so no need to rush him back.

NCJetsfan, dawinner127 and NoodleArm like this.