Mike White Contract 2022

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 88toon, Nov 5, 2021.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The larger point is that Wilson did nothing to earn the starting job. It's reminiscent of Gase who did nothing to earn the job of head coach - it was granted on the basis of talk and hype; the old "brightest offensive mind in the building" nonsense. Wilson was gifted the starting job based on his draft slot, not his performance. Whatever anyone calls "talent" (not even supreme talent) is meaningless if it doesn't translate to success on the field. Competition is good. I agree 100% with your last sentence of the first paragraph - but I don't think it came out the way you meant it; there is only one quarterback on this team who has not been able to do it himself this season.

barfolomew likes this.
  2. cval

cval Well-Known Member

This a take for people that don't understand the NFL and how to build a team. We do not have veteran team or a team that is ready to compete for the playoffs. This year is about developing our young talent and our young QB.

Keep on with your ridiculous posts about Zach and JD. This team is currently on track as we can see our young players developing every week.

Mike White is the backup as Casey Keenum or Colt McCoy type. This team will succeed as Zach develops. This coaching staff believes you develop by playing so Zach will play.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You don't have to agree; I'm fine with that, but there's nothing at all "ridiculous" about going with the "hot hand' to see if it's just a fluke or not. If Wilson is truly a better quarterback than White he will get the opportunity to prove it; so far he hasn't. In the meantime by playing the highly hyped, low performing quarterback the growth of every other guy on the field is hampered.

Michael Carter, for instance, averaged under thirty yards a game rushing for the first seven games and over sixty the last two. His receiving yards went from under twenty to over sixty per game. That's significant; he needs to be developed as well as the quarterbacks.

horsehead and MDJets like this.
  4. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Mike White must be cooking in the kitchen what his throws will be against the Bills while the rest of the boy band crew take pics for magazines.

Actually, they really like each other...White did comment on the pic

Starter or backup, Mike White belongs on this team for the foreseeable future

Borat and cval like this.
  5. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

If I were Salah I'd continue riding the hot hand of White for a few more games to both get another win to take us past last seasons tally and keep the offensive improvement going. Also it'd send the message to Zach that he has to earn this and when he does he needs to play 'boring' football.

You can then switch back to Zach with a decreased risk of catcalling given enough sub-Bengal performances from White or another injury or even wait till we are officially eliminated from contention and make it all about next year.

Ralebird likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If you understood anything at all about the FO's and CS's plan for this season and about roster building, you wouldn't have posted the nonsense you did.

#66 NCJetsfan, Nov 8, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    cval likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

Well, thank God you're not Saleh. Sorry, but the logic/reasoning in this post and others like it by other posters is severely flawed.

To begin with, you don't know that White's hand would stay "hot." You don't even know that if he hadn't gotten injured against the Colts if things would have come to a grinding halt and if he would have thrown 2 TD passes or two pick 6s. You don't know that playing him would continue the offensive improvement or lead to any more victories, but even if they did, that is not the point of this season. Why can't you guys get it through your head that this season is all about developing Zach and the other young players for the future?!?!? It's not about wins and losses. Sure, they want to win and are going to try to win, but with Zach and not at the expense of developing Zach.

You're annointing White as a better QB than Zach after one game, and that's laughable. At the same time, you're ignoring that when Zach was starting LaFleur was doing an awful job with game planning and play calling and doing nothing to help a rookie QB get settled in. The OL was awful, as were the TEs and RBs, and the WRs weren't a whole lot better. Zach was taking a pounding and getting no help. You've decided that the offense's struggles were all Zach's fault and not the whole freaking offensive unit and LaFleur, and nothing could be more wrong. Yes, Zach made mistakes and has things to learn, but he's a rookie and he needs to go through that trial by fire. Zach was playing very well in the game he got injured. Especially with the changes that LaFleur made to his playcalling and being up in the booth the next game, Zach could have led the Jets to victory against both the Bengals and the Colts.

The bold is especially flawed reasoning. If White plays very well in the next couple of games, fans would have a hissy fit if the Jets went back to Zach this season, so it wouldn't decrease the risk of catcalling. By not playing these games, Zach is losing invaluable experience not only playing, but playing against these opponents, and it is hindering his development. If JD has another great offseason and our young players this year develop, with Zach ready to go next season, we could make the playoffs or at least challenge for the playoffs. If you sit him for the rest of the season or a big chunk of it, then he'll have to go through his growing pains next year and hold the team back, and then fans like you would be screaming that Zach is a bust and we need to draft a new QB or play White or something. What you want isn't best for the team, just you and your fellow impatient fans/posters. I wish you guys would wise up

#67 NCJetsfan, Nov 8, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
    dmw likes this.
  8. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Even Mahomes said today on TV that he waited s year before he played...this was in reference to Love playing for Green Bay.

Most rookies will struggle in teams that are not good around them. Our offense has been very rough with him to start, so he needs to learn to let the game come to him. Hero ball isn't gonna get it done

9. cval

cval Well-Known Member

For the reasons people are not understanding this White should play against the Bills. They have one of the best defenses in the league and our offense will struggle no matter the QB.

10. NCJetsfan

Yep. I agree with that. Let him expose his weaknesses and maybe those who think he's our savior will wake up from their delusions.

cval likes this.
  11. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I think they should definitely start White. Buffalo is a very good defense that is tough on QB's. Resting Zach's knee for another week can't hurt and they can let White take the potential beating. And who know, maybe White surprises us. I still don't think he will be a great starter in the league but he could very well become an excellent backup.

cval likes this.
  12. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I don’t know how many people on this board watched the film review I did of White, but I show pretty clearly that he is missing some aspects to his game. Any throw that requires touch is apparently not something he can do. He has accuracy in spades for straight line throws but the ability to drop a ball into a spot with loft… to me I just don’t know if you can teach that or learn it.

I could be proven wrong but it’s just one of those things, even if your footwork and mechanics are perfect, you still have to have an inherent feel for exactly how much juice to lay on it and exactly where the release point is, and it’s different for every single throw. For a straight line throw, footwork and mechanics will get you a good pass pretty much all of the time.

Borat, NCJetsfan and bicketybam like this.
  13. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

What is the basis for saying Zach is more talented than White? Is it strictly because he can potentially make beautiful down field throws? If thats the case, so be it. Zach has a crazy live arm.

But there is something to be said about accuracy on short and medium throws. White is considerably more accurate on short throws. Not only that, White clearly has a better grasp on pre-snap reading a defense. There is a reason the line and playcalling look significantly better under White and Johnson. Josh Allen didnt become the stud QB he is today until he started hitting the short and underneath passes.

Zach is the QB of the future. I dont think there is too much to debate there. If he can learn to throw short, he'll be a star. He should have to earn it though, I dont think that is too much to ask.

All Gas No Shake and MDJets like this.
  14. MaximusD163

To me it’s kind of like saying “yeah we know you’ve got the potential to be the police chief someday, but let’s keep you behind a desk until then. For now we have some other guys to be beat cops.”

Who is getting the experience required to know the city well enough to be chief someday? The desk guy or the guys in the streets?

The more time Wilson spends playing live games, the sooner we know if he is the guy. The sooner we find out if he is the guy, the sooner he has the kind of experience required to compete for a championship.

15. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

But what if there is a QB you think may potentially be a franchise QB. Because there isn't really any debate right now. Mike White is a better QB than Zach, I think everyone can agree with that.

Zach is going to be here, and he is going to be prioritized by the coaching staff in the offseason. The Jets are invested in him and obviously love his potential. I don't see any harm in seeing what we have in White, Especially considering he's completing 73% of passes at an average of 8 yards/attempt.

I don't see any downside to having Zach watch and learn this year. If White ends up being a franchise QB, thats very good new for the Jets. If he bombs. well you've got a QB who hopefully is learning on the sideline ready to take over.

All Gas No Shake and Ralebird like this.
  16. MaximusD163

Well if you believe there’s another one who may be yes but I don’t believe Mike White will ever be a franchise QB. I think he will be a good backup and maybe a stopgap guy for franchises in transposition. Which is a valuable asset none the less.

17. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Whoa that’s pretty low.
    I don’t think any posters in this posts believes ZW is NOT the future for the Jets. No one is stating ZW is a busts. It is not a ridiculous statement to have some one vouch in their own opinion why White should start. While I don’t agree with some of what Ralebird stated, he does bring up for solid points. It s a fan forum for Christ Sakes.

Ralebird and Donttasemebro like this.
  18. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

....and conversely you don't know that he wouldn't of thrown for 500 yards, 6 TD's and then scrambled home for a +50 yard run to win the game in overtime!

We all know what the plan is but you never move beyond that to asking the why?.

Why we decided to embark on this mission of drafting QB 'X' and accepting sub-par perfomances for a season was because we haven't had competent and consistent QB play for so, so, so long and without that then it's next to impossible for us to advance as a team.

If Mike White can be that consistent and competent player then I'd rather have him play out the rest of the season so that our other prospects like Moore and Carter can be developed at a faster pace.

It's called statistical evidence. At this moment in time White > Wilson

To quote another poster..... "You don't even know that if he hadn't gotten injured against the Colts if things would have come to a grinding halt and if he would have thrown 2 TD passes or two pick 6s. You don't know that playing him would continue the offensive improvement or lead to any more victories"

19. NCJetsfan

White is not considerably more accurate on short throws. He has been in his one start compared with Zach's play this year, but Zach is normally accurate on ALL his throws. If you don't believe me, go watch his college games. A QB doesn't lose his accuracy when he has been so accurate. His struggles on short throws this year are due to pressing, or his fundamentals have gotten off. They can easily be fixed and will be fixed. Zach was not drafted just because of his arm strength or because of his off-platform throws and many arm angles. He is very cerebral, is more athletic, and has far superior arm talent. For you to even question that shows that you have no clue what you're talking about, and have never watched Zach play before he became a Jet.

Congratulations! You are yet another poster making an assinine assertion based upon one start by White. SMH Simply unbelievable.

#79 NCJetsfan, Nov 8, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
    dmw likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

Zach is GOING to be a FQB. You can make book on that. Thinking White may potentiall be a FQB based upon one start is just plain ignorant. Mike White is NOT a better QB than Zach. That's ludicrous. He played better due to his experience in the NFL. A QB who has been in the NFL for 3 years should play better in terms of taking what the D is giving you than a rookie. That doesn't mean that he's a better QB, however. That is simply laughable.