Stop with the O bashing - The real issue is our defense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LAJet, Nov 5, 2021.

1. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

2 journeymen came off the bench and put better games together because they knew to just take what the defense gave them. It’s what happens when you’re in your 4th and 13th NFL season. Plus, the offensive playcalling has been much better. The scheme is the same but the flow of the offense is much better.

Zach needs to learn to take what D gives him instead of trying to play hero ball on every pass play. It’s not concerning, at least not yet. Come back at the end of the season if Zach still hasn’t figured it out yet.

FJF, REVISion and barfolomew like this.
  2. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Why is our run defense so bad then? Our linebackers are not good and Mosley can’t do it all. This defense needs massive help at LB and safety position. Good thing the Jets have a lot of mid round picks this year; gotta stock up on run stuffing LB.

FJF, Jonathan_Vilma and barfolomew like this.
  3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I believe I said we had one Lber somewhere, I agree Mosley has been good and Quincy serviceable.

4. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Our fourth string qb was able to march down the field and score several times. Our Offense has gaps (especially on the oline) but is capable. Our defense let us down yesterday.

LAJet likes this.
  5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

One noticeable thing about last night.... The Colts O-line was ABUSING the JETS.

westiedog1, Lon Chaney, ouchy and 2 others like this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

we just need to be patient and build a defense. We literally all expected the D to suck. 1st off we lost lawson and curry before the season started. jarad davis has missed all but 2 games. we have like 3 Lbers on IR and were thin there to start. our secondary has played well but coming into the season our top 4 were a 2nd year 5th rounder, a rookie 4th rounder, a rookie 5th rounder, and a 2nd year UDFA. joyner got hurt as did davis meaning our starting safety was a guy we picked up off waivers for the 1st few weeks. now may is down too. The D is ravaged with injuries and hadn't had much invested in it. we have a ton of picks to build up the defense now and money to spend. I expect us to invest more in the defense this off season. we knew the D was going to be bad so IDK why people are shocked now.

7. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

According to PFF, Ashtyn Davis was the highest graded Jet last night... What? Would love to know how they arrived at that figure.

apjbfc and K'OB like this.
  8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

The worrying thought is that they didn't think Wilson could do what they are doing now?

We really have to hope not though or it is going to be another QB pick down the pan.

On the plus side we have now discovered the oldest FQB prospect around ;)

barfolomew likes this.
  9. K'OB

And so ends Marcus Mayes time as a Jet or his hopes of landing a big contract elsewhere, at least he won't be able to drive pissed up with a fucked Achilles tendon, always look to the small things to keep you smiling.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Strike 856 against PFF.

NYJFOREVER, Lon Chaney and ouchy like this.
  11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

We have a lot of good football guys here but even they seem lost in the haze of Jets mediocrity.

The main, and perhaps only, reason our offense has improved is because we switched to a quick passing game, and cut out almost all the downfield throws. It has nothing to do with passing on a certain down, or trick plays, or an improved offensive line. It works better for two reasons:

1. Our WRs are built for this. We have a Z receiver and a bunch of natural slot guys (Cole, Crowder, Moore, Berrios) running around like quick little mites. LeFluer has done a great job of game planning someone open quickly in this scheme.
    2. Our O-line cant hold the pass rush long enough for 7 step drops, or basically more than 2 seconds. The quick passing game offsets our CRUMMY o-line. People need to quit saying our o-line has gotten so much better. It's barely servicable. We faced their real defense for the first 42 minutes, and only had 10 points. Every single linemen stunk last night.

The offense wasn't that great last night when 2/3 of their points were in garbage time. It might have looked like a real game still, but when a team goes up by 4 scores in the second half they are playing around 3/4 effort most of the way home. It doesn't matter what formation they are in. Our success was an illusion and Josh Johnson isn't really a hidden 300 yard passing talent. Who knows if White would have performed better while the game was still semi close?

It should be said that Zach hasn't gotten to run this new offense for more than a quarter yet so its hard to judge who is the better QB.

#51 ouchy, Nov 5, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    Acad23 and SOJAZ like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, in another post, maybe in another thread, you did single out Mosely as being good. That's why I was so surprised when you said "no LBs" or however you put it.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think that thought ever crossed their minds. I think LaFleur, being young and inexperienced, got carried away with his new toys (Zach and the offense) and tried to be too smart and aggressive by trying to exploit weaknesses in the other team's secondary in the 1st quarter, and put the Jets up big early. Seemingly, he has learned that he needs to temper that aggressiveness somewhat. He's still being aggressive in that he's throwing more on early downs, but he's sticking to shorter passes to get the QB and offense into a rhythm. I think the trick plays were intentionally to try to help the players to loosen up and have fun, since they were in a funk from having played so badly most of the time.

I think Zach exacerbated LaFleur's tendencies and reverted to playing hero ball to try to get something going and give the offense and team a spark. He's a very smart kid, and wants to succeed. If LaFleur doesn't cross him up by reverting to his earlier philosophy/approach, Zach will do what White and Johnson have done, but will also have the ability to strike deep and make things happen.

14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I know Vilma and others want to fire Ulrich for games like last night

But 2 games ago I wanted laFleur gone asap and now with 2 different QBs and booth we move the ball downfield

So the with this nubie coaching staff ya just have to expect the unexpected with this team:oops:

the Bills are a scoring machine...wouldnt it be interesting if the Defense got a quick tutorial and held them to a respectful 24 points?..it wouldnt surprise me. Thats how this Admin reacts to fan and Media critics so far

I give this this CS 8 more games before I weigh in on moving on or staying pat with them

atm thats how I am feeling

15. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more... Ulbrich D last season was no great shakes either so I am think its more his schemes and PC that is causing the issues.

LAJet and Linebacker712 like this.
  16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

If the Jets stressed me out then I’d be concerned by this. Wilsons been ass. At his current pace it would take him 5 games to do what these guys did in 2.

I get that he’s a rookie.
    I get that he played cream puffs in college.
    I get that he’s now missed time due to injury.

But…

2 journeymen have played good in the same system. They’re putting up numbers that would keep us competitive in games if the D wasn’t on the back of a milk carton. If Wilson was putting up those numbers we’d all be dancing in the streets, prevent or not.

He’s not, though. And that’s ok for now. Nobodies should have expected a seasoned all pro out of the gate, but people should expect progress.

If he keeps playing like ass it’s stunts the whole teams growth. Players will start to resent him (more) because they’ve had a taste of good QB play in this system now. They’ve had a taste of not being back on the field quickly do to constant 3 and outs and interceptions (not that this had mattered much lately).

Game or not, football is a job for these guys. In my experience, regardless of what they might be making, nobody is overly fond of the guy who makes everyone else’s jobs harder. White didn’t do that and the outpouring of teammate support showed you how it made them feel.

Ralebird and Acad23 like this.
  17. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Bottom line is: we cant give up 50 pts a week. We have given up over 500 yds 2 times out of 8 games. 400yds twice. 300 yds 3 times....we cant win like that. So what is players, CS both ?????

When I see AD 20 yards off the ball and CB playing 7-10 off receivers and the gaps big enough to allow my old ass to run through its coaching scheme and C. Justmy two cents

JetsCuseYanksFan and Acad23 like this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

the one main difference has been passing on 1st down more. also less drops the past 2 weeks (funny becuase davis was ut the past 2 weeks and leads the team in drops, although mims did a good job making up for that by dropping 3 this week and 1 last week) someone on reddit did a great breakdown

https://www.reddit.com/r/nyjets/comments/qnfrz9/some_stats_on_the_lafleur_offense/

Here is the content

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  19. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Not since we had non-golden boy QB's in there anyway. The offense WAS horrible until the last two weeks.

The issue is who do you blame for the D...I've seen Saleh get criticism on it, ah he's the defensive genius, he should be able to scheme to stop teams. WITH WHAT?! They have a bunch of role players on the d-line, Mosley and a bunch of inexperienced low-round linebackers (some who've never played the position before this year), inexperienced low-round CB's and Maye at safety who's been in and out of the lineup this season...the issue is the fucking GM giving him Carl Lawson - who hasn't played a down, Mosley and a bunch of other crap and thinking he can make a stew around it.

The first few weeks were a mirage defensively, in part because other offenses didn't even have to try to score with our own popgun offense. No more smoke and mirrors anymore.

Jets81 and Acad23 like this.
  20. K'OB

Well, that is what you hope for sure, the thing is none of us know the truth of what LaFleur is doing or thinking, it may well be as simple as going up to the booth.

One thing for sure, we will find out when Wilson is fit and ready again

NCJetsfan likes this.