Stop with the O bashing - The real issue is our defense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LAJet, Nov 5, 2021.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

We have been quick to scream about the firing of LeFlour, the release of Mims, the trade of Crowder, and basically blaming the Offense for most all of our wows. We are barking up the wrong tree. Our Defense is the problem, our so called strength at the D line sucks, we can’t get a sack, we can’t stop the run, in fact we can’t stop Shit. Our defensive game plan sucks, we are incapable to man up and give our young rookies on the O a fighting chance. To me the defensive coaching is quite suspect. Our OC, after being trashed big time, is doing miracles upstairs with a third string QB, while our D collapses like a house of cards. Fuck the QB controversy, the real problem is on the other side of the ball.

boozer32, AndyDrums, Patriot and 5 others like this.
  2. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

Almost 400 yards passing between two backup QBs and 30 points..Offense is definitely not the problem.

3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Amen

Saleh must go

94Abraham likes this.
  4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I thought we were raving about the O this week? Obviously the defense was a dumpster fire but it was 42-10 before the O really showed up. Too much garbage time to get overly excited.

REVISion, Lon Chaney and SOJAZ like this.
  5. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

The Jets D wasn't great against the Bengals but, the offense was on the field for so long the D didn't have a chance to screw the game up. Tonight they did.

#5 BleedJetsGreen1981, Nov 5, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    NCJetsfan, Acad23 and Mogriffjr like this.
  6. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

8 games and the HC must go...

o brother...

apjbfc, NYJFOREVER and Hemi like this.
  7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Aikman said the colts weren’t playing a prevent like defense during the scoring surge.

8. Mogriffjr

If anything Saleh may have to have more input on defense…that’s his baby and whatever Ulbrich is doing isn’t working.

playing exclusively nickel isn’t working. And I like Carter a ton but maybe he can slide to the outside, Echols starting to struggle a bit lately. Also the safety play hasn’t been good. Playing 2 deep…none of these safeties are good near the box. Maybe Quincy should reclaim the LB spot next to CJ, or play Davis and Quincy to improve the run D…

Acad23 likes this.
  9. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

There are a lot of holes on the roster. Jonathan Taylor was running through most of them.

FJF, NY Jets68, Lon Chaney and 10 others like this.
  10. Mogriffjr

Ashtyn also isn’t being given any favors when he’s playing 20-25 yards off the ball. Just seems weird to play that far off.

11. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Going in to the season, I really believed and posted more than once that I thought that for the first time in years that our offense would be the better side of the ball.

It has taken a few awful weeks at the start, but I think that it is becoming clear the potential the offense has to be competitive and how bad the defense really is.

12. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Since Douglas arrived

1st-4th Round Picks for Offense: 9

1st-4th Round Picks for Defense: 2

1st-4th Round Picks in 2022: 7

The defensive help is coming, it’s not a surprise.

13. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Not for nothing, but the problem has been the offense for the first 5 games of the season. Our offense has been horrendous which is why we have been going crazy every week. It wasn't until last week that things changed.

To Maximus' point above, patience. The defense will be resolved this offseason, I'm sure. Again, you can't fix an entire roster in 2 years

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

the sad thing is our offense didn't start to work until our starting QB went out injured

Jets79 likes this.
  15. Falco21

Or it was when Lafleur moved up to the booth and changed the entire offensive playcalling.

I'd argue it was the latter given Josh Johnsons performance last night

16. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

be interesting to see where the team would be in terms of talent if we hadn't burned two top 3 first round picks and three second picks (to trade up) on the QB position in the last couple of years :( (only to still have major question marks over the spot)

SOJAZ, ouchy, Pepsiguy5 and 1 other person like this.
  17. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I hope that's the cause - we will know once Wilson gets back I guess

18. Falco21

Too many factors point in the direction of Lafleur and his game calling. We are seeing trick plays, screens, short check downs, etc. It looks like an entirely new offense and that's under two different backups

SOJAZ, LAJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

as I posted previously - its just hard to understand why we weren't doing this before - White's first game the yardage was nearly double the average before - but better late than never I guess

20. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

It is more than just the play calling while that is a factor. At times the last 2 weeks I have felt that there was too much passing on early downs. However, White and Johnson have looked decisive and delivered the ball on time. Zach has looked overwhelmed and has had trouble completing the dinks and dunks short easy passes, as well as forcing the ball in some terrible decisions.

The Oline seems to have come together a bit, and using Carter as the clear #1 guy also has.

FJF, SOJAZ, tomdeb and 1 other person like this.