Jets Are Turning Down Trade Offers for Mims

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Nov 2, 2021.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Poor kid the Jets are just torturing him. He's finally getting some run and showing what he can do. But now Davis is coming back and Moore and Berrios are playing more.

2. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

As someone who really wants to see Mims succeed I am glad we held on to him.

He will be a productive player in the league sooner rather than later. I'm thrilled it's going to be in Jets green.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

3. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Why would they trade him for pennies on the dollar? Nobody would trade their 2nd round pick from last year when their stock is low.

4. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

The only other X receiver they have on the roster is Davis, so if they trade Mims and Davis is unable to play they don't have an X receiver to plug in there and they may have to change their offense. The reason Mims played the most reps of any receiver last weekend was because without Davis, he's the only X receiver.

PJ4Ever and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Definitely!

6. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

As they should - Mims has great size and a lot of talent to go with it. He’s behind due to injuries and an unsettled QB situation.

On top of that had JD traded him he would not be getting anything worth value in return.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

But didn't you know that every other WR on the team knows every single position?

b.reyes16 and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah I mean what is anyone really offering for Mims? A 6th rounder? As disappointing as he's been I'd turn that down too.

Jets69 likes this.
  9. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

If Flacco was worth a 6th then Mims is worth at least a 4th. Would you have accepted that?

10. Jonathan_Vilma

I don't really believe that logic. Quarterbacks are valued more, even if they're shitty journeyman at this point in the career. Flacco was traded to a team that was seemingly desperate for a veteran quarterback, a position that can result in a zero burger if it's not properly equipped. You can't say the same for a receiver so I doubt fourth round picks were offered for Mims.

Whether it's by way of organizational negligence or not, Mims has proven nothing to be an asset in the NFL. He wouldn't be a guy a franchise seeks out to add at the deadline for the playoff push, nor would I get rid of him in the middle of the season to deplete the receiver position group. Would I do it in the offseason? Yeah I'd consider it I think, but I also don't know why Mims doesn't play - does he struggle with the playbook, is he lazy, do the QBs not like him, etc.

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Maybe Mims is a late bloomer, that’s the least we can hope for. We are very impatient as fans. The Jets offense proved they can be productive without Mims being a number one receiver on Sunday.

It’s not like he was a top ten pick that’s struggling. He was a WR that needed some development. Injuries, two different schemes to learn and current scheme is admittedly more difficult than Gases.

I’m looking forward to see what he does when he’s healthy and gets to play the whole year.

NCJetsfan, Imagesrdecieving and cval like this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Well my comments were attempting to take all of that into account. But teams at the deadline aren't trying to scoop up developmental talent for the most part. They're trying to add a small piece for mid round picks that can insert themselves and add a couple plays a game for them. Mims does not have enough proven production to be worth a mid round deadline pick.

Teams also don't really make a lot of moves at the deadline in general because it's so hard to insert players into an organization in this sport in the middle of a fire drill to win games. Emmanuel Sanders was trade with a 5th for a 3rd and a 4th as a ten year veteran for example.

Red Menace likes this.
  13. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I don’t quite understand this post here.

Mims led the WR’s in snap count last week.

Moore’s snap count % wise has actually gone down as the weeks go on here. Berrios has been going down aside from last week when the Jets finally had a consistent offensive attack.

When Corey returns, yeah Mims May go back to not as many snaps but he was trending to getting more playing time anyways.

NCJetsfan and cval like this.
  14. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

If you operate like the Ravens, you don’t dump these guys so soon, you keep these guys for depth and to see what they are by the time their rookie contract is up.

People never want to give a damn about players who aren’t starters, but the roster is more than 50% made up of players who don’t start. Good teams have good players at those spots because chances are you’re playing a backup in at least a few games at every position in every season.

Backups who have seen significant time due to injury in this season alone:
    QB: Mike White
    WR: Denzel Mims, Braxton Berrios, Keelan Cole
    TE: Ryan Griffin, Daniel Brown
    LT: George Fant, Chuma Edoga
    RT: Morgan Moses

DE: Shaq Lawson, Bryce Huff
    LB: Jamien Sherwood, Hamsah Nasirildeen, Quincy Williams, Del’Shawn Phillips
    S: Ashtyn Davis, Adrian Colbert, Sharrod Neasman

Unless you’re getting a big time return, keep the good players.

15. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree 100 per cent with this. I think, as a franchise, the Jets have been so enamoured with trying to bring in stars, they have forgotten the importance of players who are merely good. Yes, you want a few stars to really light things up, but they can only shine if they have a solid supporting cast of decent players. So often in the last ten years or so we seem to let decent players go because they aren't stars, and then when the replacements we bring in flop, we are left with nothing. A team of competent, good players can make a push for the playoffs. A sprinkling of star talent then pushes you over the top.

This is tempered by the salary cap, and the fact that some players who are merely good can get a big payday from another team in free agency, but I think this has been an issue for the team lately.

Red Menace and cval like this.
  16. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

I mean unless you don’t believe the report he clearly WAS a guy teams sought out to add at the deadline.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Mims wasn't though. He got a whopping 8 snaps in London against the Falcons, which is about how much he gets when he plays. He got 20 snaps in the NE game but not until Corey Davis was banged up and left the game in the 2nd half of the blowout. Only when Davis is off the field is Mims allowed on it

Cman68 likes this.
  18. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I always doubted they'd trade him. Why would they? As others have said, would probably have been a Day 3 pick for a guy who was a 2nd round pick last year and has shown flashes in the little time he's played. It's not like they have great depth at outside WR anyway.

I hope LaFleur continues to get him on the field more, even when Corey Davis is back. They're actually somewhat deep at WR and hope that strength is accentuated rather than forcing their lousy TEs out there so much.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Yeah, trying to skim a young player off the top for a late round pick isn't what I'm talking about. I'm sure teams tried to grab him for trash. Or maybe the report is generated by the Jets to heat someone up?

I find it hard to believe third and fourth round picks were discussed.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Another great post! Thanks for keeping it real.

Mogriffjr and MaximusD163 like this.