Elijah Moore

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The problem is two fold. There are a large number of very loud trolls that just post to piss people off. They are Jet fans in name only that actively root against this team.

The second issue is as a fanbase we have lost all patience and hope. With those going away it is not surprising to see reason and logic become a rationed item. It is quite easy for them to jump on the doom and gloom bandwagon.

The net effect is the trolls and Jet fans who expect the worst have made this board so miserable that it drives away all reasonable and intelligent posters. We end up with a fractured, angry low IQ angry mob of a board.

It is easy to tell people to be patient and that judgments need to be made over time not from moment to moment but in reality that is hard to do. Either way I hope people find a way to enjoy the season. This board is certainly a challenge but the ignore feature makes it immensely better. Hopefully the Knicks will give us something to watch as outside of the Islanders this has been a tough year.

cval, NCJetsfan and LAJet like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That goes without saying. No QB is perfect, and Zach is stepping up a major level from BYU to the NFL. He has bad days/games like anyone else. He hasn't handled the pressure well at times. I still submit that he would be playing a lot better with a better OL, better play calling and game plan, better/experienced OC, and WRs who didn't drop so many passes.

If one added in the yardage from all the dropped passes, added those completions to his completion percentage, and subtracted the interceptions where a WR ran the wrong route or fell down, his numbers would be a lot better. They're already pretty equal with Lawrence except TDs and interceptions, and with 4-5 fewer interceptions, those numbers would be the same. Zach definitely has things to learn and work on, but his accuracy is not one of them imo. That is being influenced by the other factors and his youthful reaction to those factors. If LaFleur adjusts/adapts the scheme more to the talents of his players, does a better job of play calling and designing the play script to open games, the OL solidifies, and WRs stop dropping passes, I think that Zach's play and accuracy will improve markedly.

#102 NCJetsfan, Oct 15, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    Noam likes this.
  3. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

When Zach has specifically thrown to Moore his accuracy had sucked. And YES, that is most definitely something he needs to work on.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. One isn't accurate with one WR, but not accurate with another. One is either accurate in general or inaccurate. Zach's accuracy has been off, but that is totally uncharacteristic of his play in the past or in TC or preseason.

I think his confidence is suffering from the pounding he has taken and all he has had to learn and knows that he still needs to learn, and THAT is what is affecting his accuracy along with pressuring himself to lift the team to victory. He's pressing, and needs to relax.

mrjet80 and The Dark Knight like this.
  5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Well said, @NCJetsfan! I agree. The NFL is tough. Many of us expected it to be a process this season, yet 5 weeks in, I see a lot of people shocked at what many expected would occur. I get wanting to win and having great QB play after the last 5 years of total misery, but the fans need to show a little more patience. The success is coming.

cval, NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Ever think some of you are too sensitive? If no one is attacking you personally or your family, why get “pissed off”? Are you the type to fight in the stadium because some fan on the other team says your favorite player sucks? It’s a message board. Not everyone is going to agree.

7. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

Our problem is we selected the next Mahomes-Lite after the league discovered how to beat Mahomes. Mahomes is elite and will take KC to the playoffs maybe because of his supporting cast. . Zake is a shadow of him without the waepons

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We're sticking a fork in Mahomes already?

9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Other than those occasionally wanting the Jets to lose to get a better draft position (which is a whole different story), can you name a single poster here who has ever rooted for the Jets to lose even a single game?

10. legler82

Mahomes w/o needing a year to fix mechanics.

11. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ. NFL fans seem to really flip the switch on opinions too easily. I get it's 1 game a week, but he's had a handful of ok games so now the league figured him out.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Every QB returns to earth after they blow up the league. Mahomes is feeling that now, although he was able to maintain his breakout sprint for 3 seasons. That is a Brady-like trajectory with much better physical skills than Brady. He'll end up shredding every QB record in the NFL if he stays healthy.

13. legler82

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-...ers-so-why-isnt-elijah-moore-getting-the-ball

New York Jets need playmakers, so why isn't Elijah Moore getting the ball?

RICH CIMINI ESPN Staff Writer6:00 AM ET4 Minute Read

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- One of the biggest disappointments in the New York Jets' 1-4 start is rookie wide receiver Elijah Moore, who was so dazzling in the spring and early in training camp that team officials were giddy with the belief they had stolen him in the second round of the NFL draft.

He still might turn out to be a steal, but his slow start has tempered the buzz. The numbers: four games, 20 targets, eight catches for 66 yards.

No impact.

"Elijah Moore is a baller and his time is coming, just like the rest of us," said quarterback Zach Wilson, another rookie. "I wish I could get him the ball more; I know that's part of my job. I know he's a dominant player. I need to get him the ball more. It's just buying into the process, knowing it's going to take time."

This isn't a Denzel Mims situation. Unlike Mims, Moore is getting plenty of playing time, but it's not translating into production.

Some of the factors are obvious: No preseason action due to a quadriceps injury, inconsistent play from the quarterback position and the typical college-to-pro transition, although the latter reason doesn't carry as much weight when you consider his SEC peers are lighting it up.

Jaylen Waddle (Miami Dolphins), DeVonta Smith (Philadelphia Eagles), Ja'Marr Chase(Cincinnati Bengals) and Kadarius Toney (New York Giants) are producing solid numbers for their respective teams. Moore, a prolific pass-catcher who averaged 149 receiving yards per game last season at Ole Miss, has managed only two first downs.

What gives?

For one thing, they're playing him out of position. In college, 75% of Moore's production came out of the slot, but the Jets said on draft day that he's more than a slot receiver -- and they're trying to prove their point. Moore and Corey Davis are the outside receivers, with Jamison Crowder in the slot.

Moore has run more than twice as many pass routes outside (69) than from the slot (31), but he has the same number of receptions in each position (four apiece), according to ESPN Stats & Information research. It's a small sample size, but maybe it tells a story.

Asked if Moore is struggling with coverages on the outside, where his size (5-foot-10) could be considered a disadvantage, coach Robert Saleh acknowledged that's "a good discussion." He quickly added that Crowder and Braxton Berriosare capable slot receivers, essentially saying there's a logjam.

"You're trying to get your best players on the football field," Saleh said.

Saleh said plays were called for Moore in Sunday's 27-20 loss to the Atlanta Falcons, but he was targeted only twice (zero catches) because that's what the coverage dictated.

For months, they talked about his ability as a gadget player, someone who could run a jet sweep, a la Deebo Samuel of the San Francisco 49ers. Moore got his first chance in Week 3 against the Denver Broncos, but he suffered a concussion on the play and missed a game. They didn't go back to it against the Falcons.

"There’s always going to be a player who wants more of the ball, but there’s one ball, limited plays, how do you get them all involved?" Saleh asked. "And we can start by having a 70-play game."

Coaches use that rationale when trying to explain why certain players don't get more touches, but it makes little sense. The Jets are averaging only 59 plays per game on offense, which makes it hard to spread around the ball, but maybe they'd be getting more plays if they got the ball to the right people. It's the chicken-egg argument.

The Jets could open two spots by trading Crowder, who is in the final year of his contract, by the Nov. 2 deadline. They could slide Moore into the slot, creating playing time for Mims on the outside. Crowder is a good player, but the Jets have to think about the long term, especially if they're out of contention by then.

In the meantime, the Moore Watch continues.

"I think, as time goes on, we’re just going to keep getting more comfortable with each other," Wilson said. "He’s obviously someone I’m always looking to get the ball in his hands because he’s very dominant."

abyzmul, NCJetsfan and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I wonder if LaFleur (or Urb and Darrell Bevel for that matter) has thought about sending four receivers vertical against this dreaded cover 2 that's fucking all these rookie quarterbacks up. Force the safeties to choose? Maybe run a deep sit against the cover 2 and force the linebackers to get 10 yards of depth while finding the receiver?

I don't see a lot of plays being used to beat coverages. Maybe that comes from restricted falls at the line, but I see a lot of "we're running our offense" bullshit.

Acad23 likes this.
  15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

No OC will ever admit his "offense' isn't working. Its always some outside influence. WR's, coverages, pass pro, etc.

REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

Rich, I know reporters are trained to ask questions but at least on a posting website can you at least post in something other than a "question" format...holy smokes man, all of your posts are questions...take a stand and make an affirmative post...doesn't matter if it's correct but it would be refreshing

17. Ralebird

Okay, would you prefer I simply say "That's bullshit, jagoff - nobody here is rooting for the Jets to lose"? Should I throw in a few expletives, personal attacks and tell whoever writes such things that they don't know anything about message boards, football or how to catch a fish? I would note that you have done nothing here to further the conversation - not even "take a stand" on that which you have a problem with my calling out.

[And the "Rich" thing got tired a long time ago - you can do better than that, can't you?]

Acad23 likes this.
  18. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

Not at all, no name calling, no cussing, that's not needed...just asking for something of a stance vs. asking a question or ending things w/ a question mark...of which the above has two question marks, which makes my point etc...let's keep it civil but opinion based

19. Ralebird

Having a discussion involves asking questions - that's just the way things work in a dialogue; that's how issues get clarified and consensus reached. Of course getting a consensus here is near impossible but such inane claims that Jet fans are rooting for the Jets to lose games only serve to further divide not approach agreement.

What Jets fans root for them to lose? How do we find out what the guy who posted that had in mind when he wrote it?

20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I'm starting to question Moore beyond the system/QB excuses. Here is an issue.

Elijiah Moore:
    26 targets, 9 catches, 79 yards.

Denzel Mims
    6 targets, 4 catches, 79 yards.

I liked the burst Moore showed during the end around for a TD. The guy clearly has some acceleration. But seriously, 26 targets for 79 yards is not even NFL level. Something has to change here.