Maye requests trade

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by blackssmagic, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

But you just posted what? Six of the top 15-18 safeties in the league that are over the age of 30 and still playing well? Add in Harrison Smith (32), Malcolm Jenkins (33), and Logan Ryan (30) and you have nearly half of the top 20-25 safeties over the age of 30.

This fan base has badly fallen into the trap of thinking that the entire rebuilding effort means that you can't retain any veterans.

Ralebird and Red Menace like this.
  2. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

My ideal outcome is the Jets sign Maye to a reasonable deal, but sounds more and more like another decent drafted player from the Jets will be out the door

I know Joe D didn't draft Maye, but it would be nice to retain some drafted players. What's the point of building through the draft if you can't retain talent?

Our situation sucks right now, but we should be competitive in 22-24, and Maye would theoretically in his prime and could help the team win some games.

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Again, it's the money. I've said it 10 times. All of those guys are making less than $12 million a year

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Well you haven't said it ten times and you claim they fall off a cliff. If they don't, does the money really matter?

You pay him one year out of his prime. You're also making a leap to assume he is just some sort of black hole at age 31. No one advocated to give him a 7 year deal.

5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's a huge difference in era though. I agree we are better off trading him but maye is worth 12 mil a year for sure. look at the top paid safeties

(name, Year signed, Years, Average per year, Age when signed)
    Adams, 2021, 4, 17.5m, 25
    Smith, 2021, 4, 16m, 32
    Simmons, 2021, 4, 2021, 15.25m, 27
    Baker, 2020, 4, 14.75m, 24
    Jackson, 2020, 4, 14.60m, 27
    byard, 2019, 5, 14.1m, 25
    collins, 2019, 6,14m, 25
    Mattheau, 2019, 3, 14m, 26
    mccoorty, 2019, 2, 11.5m, 32

thats the top 9 paid. meaning the franchise tag would cost roughly 15.62 million next year thanks to the 3 new deals sighned this year. a big bump form the 10.6 he's making this year on the tage. the price of safties has ballooned. Maye is a top 10 safety in the league. right now the top 10 average 14.295 mil. 12 mil a year would put him as the 9th highest paid safety which is pretty fair and 2 mil a year behind 8th who signed a contract 2 years ago. 2 mil is the difference between the 8th highest and the 2nd highest so it's a big jump. Simmons and jackson both signed their deals at 27 for 4 years and maye is 27 and both are getting over 14 mil a year. smith signed his at 32 for 4 years at 16 mil a year. mccourty signed for 3 years at 11.5 at age 32. 12 mil is actually a really fair ask on his part and he's likely to get that somewhere on the open market

6. Falco21

I get what you're saying, I just don't think a safety is worth $12 million on this roster right now. While we do have a lot of money, I feel there is still a lot we need: receivers, tight end, offensive linemen, etc. I would rather start breaking the bank for weapons and linemen than paying a safety with a potential league violation $12+ million.

Let's also not forget the horseshit antics his agent has pulled. That's definitely not coming from his agent alone.

Leicester Jet and Red Menace like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Q will be re-signed. There's no question about that. He'd have to rape or murder someone not to get re-signed.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's not a matter of just not retaining talent. The talent has to be reasonably priced. Paying $12 million a season for a 30-year old safety is not wise, nor the best way to build a team. If he can sign him to a reasonable deal, fine. The other issue is that Maye could have a serious drinking problem based on the details of the accident/DUI that happened. You can bet that Q. Williams will be retained as will the other quality players that JD drafted. I think Q. Williams and Maye are the only good players that Mac drafted that are left on the team.

9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

These figures show the average among them is that the player was 27 when he signed a four year contract for $13.9 million. That puts Maye one year older and asking for almost two million a year less (because he's not top ten) and it is rare for anyone to get what they're asking for. In that perspective to not negotiate with a guy already here when help is needed all over the field makes little to no sense.

I believe things brought up here often that should bear no weight are who drafted or signed the guy originally and the bargaining tactics that their agent may use. Value on the field vs. need is the prime concern.

10. joe

joe Well-Known Member

. . .Nice post

11. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

Maye is NOT A GOOD PLAYER

he's always fucking late

12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Neither would be setting new ground for the NFL - not even the Hall of Fame.

13. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

When I heard the first report it was, "Marcus Maye would welcome a trade to a contender". Somehow that morphed into, "Marcus Maye asks to be traded". Those are two completely different things.
    We just watched our secondary get torched by a TE who was the only legitimate threat on that team. Give him a three year deal with an out after two.

KY Jets Fan and Ralebird like this.
  14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

They could have signed him last year at 27 no? And for less money by doing it early.
    Most deals JD has signed, like his predecessor, have outs after 2 seasons.
    The 28 excuse isn’t holding up.

GasedAndConfused, Jets79 and Ralebird like this.
  15. Falco21

Of course they could have but that was attempted and failed, which leads back to Maye wanting anywhere north of $12 million a year. Again, is Maye worth $12+ million a year? My answer is no and I think JD thinks the same.

Maye is a very good safety but he should not be one of the highest paid safeties in the league. That's my opinion. I would be really upset if we signed a safety to this kind of money when there are so many other positions that are more pressing for us. The market for safeties is increasing and a 28 year old turning 29 is not going to get $12+ million a year. If he does, all power to him, but I feel bad for the team that signs that deal

Red Menace likes this.
  16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Poor Marcus Maye. Was there any worse time to publicly demand a trade than this week?

FJF and KY Jets Fan like this.
  17. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

The deadline to sign him to an extension is long past, they would need to wait until after the season

FJF likes this.
  18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Well last week maybe and then reveal his DUI and secret-keeping in the middle of trade talks with a new team, whilst also revealing that the injury you have is not actually that bad and you would be able to get straight at it with your new team.

Character flaws appearing all over the place for the previously perfect Mr Maye.

19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I read on a previous page a poster saying why trade him, wait for the compensatory pick instead but just read this article...

Could the NY Jets get a compensatory draft pick for Marcus Maye?
    Many might ask why the Jets would even trade Maye at that point. Why not let him walk in free agency and pick up a 2023 compensatory pick?

The problem with that is the Jets would likely never receive that compensatory draft pick. Teams only receive draft pick compensation if the value of the free agents they lose is greater than the value of the free agents they sign.

The Jets are expected to be pretty active in free agency and, aside from Maye, there won't be very many high-value free agents they let walk. The Jets are almost surely not going to qualify for compensatory picks making the potential Maye compensation worthless.

They're better off trading him for whatever value they could get, especially if they'd rather more playing time for a player like Ashtyn Davis who is still looking to solidify a future role on the team.

So the answer seems no comp pick for us.

Leicester Jet and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yup…I hear all the excuses….he’s too old, by the time we’re ready to contend he’ll be 32, he’s not that good, now the character thing, which admittedly is new. These are the same excuses our team has made for decades. And it’s part of the reason why we are still rebuilding for years. Before the DUI thing, I would have been a strong proponent of signing him…that monkey wrench is a bit of a problem, but you can build contracts to address off the field issues too.

I just feel like we are ALWAYS finding excuses to not sign anyone, which means we are always looking for the next replacement. And the merry go round keeps on spinning. By the way, JD DID draft a replacement in Davis….news flash…he sucks. So once we trade or let Maye walk, guess what, we either have to draft yet another safety or spend free agency dollars again….and yeah, we did that too…and Joyner is out for the year. Injuries happen, but now we have higher dollars out on IR because we needed to spend free agency dollars on a S because we didn’t draft well enough at the position.

this team keeps doing the same shit over and over.

I don’t know how else to say it, but at some point, you actually have to start the BUILDING part of Rebuilding. We can make excuses on isolated cases and be good with them, but when you stack them all up, you have to look at the big picture….and at some point you have to resign players.

I’m glad we just did that with JFM…let’s hope we can start drafting better players and resigning them, because to date, most have been shit not worth resigning, and the few who have been worth it, were all “demanding too much” so we let them go. It’s why we have the youngest team with one of the worst rosters in the league.

BacktoQueens and Jonathan_Vilma like this.