Wilson to spend the bye week in Utah working with John Beck

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFan20, Oct 12, 2021.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Sanchez was a walking talking turnover. Fields is the antithesis of Sanchez when it comes to that.

cval likes this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We have no idea if this is true yet. Fields has fumbled 3 times in 5 starts and thrown 2 picks in 72 attempts.

I will agree that Sanchez was probably more TO prone than Fields however he was thrown out on the field game one and it took half the season for the Jets to dial things down for him. Fields has had a more controlled entrance to the NFL so far.

3. legler82

The fumbling has definitely been cause for concern; I’ll give you that. To his credit he did a heroic job recovering 2 of them. However, I disagree with the INTs. The first came from d-lineman dropping in the path of a shallow cross on a zone dog blitz & the 2nd a tip at the LOS. Both were the type even the most ball security focused veteran QB is susceptible to. None of the other 70 passes were even close to being INT’d.

#63 legler82, Oct 13, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  4. Br4d

Fields has a lot of talent but he doesn't have an NFL skill set yet. If he gets a lot of help and a rookie bubble he may progress enough to keep the starting job into next season.

Everybody was really high on the QB class because Lawrence anchored it at the #1 pick. Without Lawrence I don't know that we get more than a couple of guys going in the first round and I'm pretty sure no QB goes #1 overall.

The thing that really bothered me about the class was similar to what bothered me about the 2014 class. I had no idea if the guys who were going to go in the 2nd to 4th rounds were less valuable than the guys going at the top of the draft.

Then somehow we got 3 of them going 1,2,3 - which was insane - and two more guys taken in the top of the first - which was QB fever in all of it's glory.

5. legler82

I believe Fields’ currently possesses the NFL skills of accuracy, ball placement, decision making on top of his rare combination of size and speed for the position.

6. Br4d

However, he is having accuracy and decision-making issues at this time because?

7. legler82

He’s not if you watched the games. You’re probably just looking at his stats.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  8. Br4d

Yeah, I'm looking at his QBR stat - which is the one that is compiled from theoretically sound NFL expertise.

9. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Beck works with a lot of the top Qbs in the league

10. legler82

His QBR is trash because of that CLE game where Nagy attempted to play 5 man protection w/ his poor pass blocking offensive line against Garrett and Clooney. That was turned out even more disastrous as one would imagine it would on paper. CLE’s defensive front sodomized the Bears offense. Fields had no chance. It’s going to take few more games for his QBR to recover.

11. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

What does this say about our current CS....

papapump likes this.
  12. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Justin Fields (in my humble opinion) has made some damn impressive throws actually. Looks like a very promising young NFL QB to me. That long pass to Mooney against the Lions is one of the better throws in the NFL this year isn't it?

13. legler82

I think all the top 5 QBs have made really impressive throws. Zach probably the best among them. What I’ve been most impressed with Fields is his consistently good ball placement. I knew it was good but he’s confirmed to me thus far that it’s NFL good.

14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Agree 100% that it's ridiculous to pretend anyone knows what Wilson will be after just five games. But which is more idiotic - praising him after one decent game or criticizing him after four lousy ones? And who is it who has declared him a bust already? Suppose we can just be permitted to comment on his actual performances without constantly trying to compare him to either Hall of Famers or the dregs of the NFL quarterback annals?

SOJAZ, IIMeanDeanII and Mogriffjr like this.
  15. legler82

Why can’t we praise the good and critique the bad? Why does it have to be one or the other?

16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

It doesn't have to be that at all and why it has become that is truly what is "beyond ridiculous."

IIMeanDeanII, REVISion and legler82 like this.
  17. Br4d

That they can't make Wilson make better throws?

They can make him make better decisions, but only by creating costs for him associated with the bad decisions.

However they can't make him make better throws. That is on him and him alone.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

19. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Yea this place is going to be even more hilarious than usual after that impending disaster.

20. cval

cval Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with criticism. The kid has made some bad throws. He has also made some good throws.

That is what happens when you start a rookie QB. You live with the good and the bad and hope he learns from it.

This kid is being asked to do a lot . The line is starting to come together but his receivers are still struggling. Davis is proving to be a good number 2 but he has not bailed out Zach on bad throws.

I think the kid watches to much tape. He seems to be at his best when he just plays. Being cerebral like he is will help him in the long run. Chad had the same problem but he sat. We are seeing Zach work through it live.

I personally think working through it live will help him develop quicker but I do understand the thinking of letting sit as well.

His rookie OC is not doing him any favors being a rookie himself. Knapp was a huge loss.

I also think it was a mistake not bringing in a vet for Zach to lean on and to know when to call BS on the coaches.

FJF and Acad23 like this.