Wilson to spend the bye week in Utah working with John Beck

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFan20, Oct 12, 2021.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I think it’s fair to accuse jet fans that are calling a rookie an a bust after 5 games of wanting instant gratification. That’s all I did.

dmw likes this.
  2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I don’t know about the other guys but once Nagy relieved his duties as the play caller after the Browns, Fields is throwing the ball downfield not dinking and dunking. The stats down always reflect it as they don’t always connect. Besides dinking and dinking is not his strength.

3. legler82

I see the word “bust” used by Wilson defenders far more than I do those that are critical of him.

Ralebird likes this.
  4. legler82

I never thought Haskins played that poorly.

5. legler82

What’s your definition of struggling? Is it strictly box score based?

6. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Ya--so why the F are we paying Cavanagh? Is this Beck dude available?

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he might end up taking over in Pittsburgh before this year is out

8. legler82

I always thought the WFT gave up on him because of stuff off the field.

9. BrowningNagle

he's not playing well

Br4d likes this.
  10. legler82

He’s started 3 and half games and the Bears have 3 wins in that span. He may not be playing “well” but he’s certainly not playing poorly or losing them games.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Haskins also probably goes in the third or fourth round if Snyder doesn't fall in love with the idea of drafting kid whose from the area to save that trash franchise. He looks like much more of a bust than he probably would've been considered if not for that.

12. BrowningNagle

It's Tim Tebow.

Since he's taken over the Bears have the worst passing offense in the league by a wide margin. Least completions, least yardage. Somehow worse, doubly worse actually, than our Jets. How can you possibly say he's not playing poorly

13. legler82

I can say it easily cause I’ve watched every snap. You obviously haven’t and just looking at stats. The numbers are skewed by the Browns game which was 100 times worst than anything Tim Tebow has ever been involved in. Statistically it’s going to take a minute dig out of that hole. That debacle aside, he’s been at worst “meh”. He’s not doing that job poorly. One thing that has carried over from college is his ball placement, accuracy & decision making no matter what level of the field he’s throwing to. He simply does not put the ball in harms way. His 2 INTs came from getting fooled by a defensive lineman dropping on a zone dog blitz & the other a tip ball at the LOS which otherwise would have been a huge completion.
    You can call him a game manager or that he’s not being asked to do a lot, but playing “poorly” or “struggling” is inaccurate.

All Gas No Shake and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  14. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

There's no quick fix for Wilson's issues. He just has to keep on working and playing games and he will get better over time.

FJF likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

You are biased. "he doesn't put the ball in harms way"... he hasnt put it in anyone's way actually ... 8 completions a game.

With a top 10 run game and top 10 D I guess he doesn't have to in the games against Detroit and a reeling Raiders team. But he will against GB, TB, SF and Pittsburgh. The next 4 games will reveal a lot either way

16. legler82

I may be biased but I still want to believe I’m honest in my assessments. You are drawing conclusions based on box score completions. I’m basing my comments on attempts I’ve seen with my on eyes. I don’t comment about Lawrence, Jones or Lance because admittedly I don’t watch their games. However, I have watched every Wilson and Fields snap. So far on pretty much all his attempts short, intermediate and deep, the ball is only where the WR can get it or no one at all. I can’t say the same about Zach. Not all completions are good throws and not all incompletions are bad ones. That’s what the stats will never tell you. I agree the upcoming schedule will reveal more but CIN, CLE & LVR weren’t cup cakes either.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Goff is a bad reference also because the team that traded up for him then traded two first round picks to get rid of him. He's playing poorly for the Lions also although the stats are deceptive.

Zach Wilson is one bad start away from having historically bad numbers for a rookie QB in the modern NFL and Belichik and his Hall of Mirrors is on tap after the bye.

18. Br4d

None of the QB's drafted this year are likely to be plus starting QB's in the NFL.

Lawrence probably has the best chance, because he was the legitimate talent in this draft, but the odds are that all the other guys will be out of the league or long-term backups by year 4. Some of them will be mostly out of the picture by year two.

The modern NFL practice of taking a QB, often trading up for them, because you "need" them is a failing strategy at this point. Many more teams have been hurt by it in recent years than helped.

One piece of NFL wisdom that has never failed is the axiom that you never draft for need over talent. The best teams stay the best teams because they follow that axiom.

19. legler82

I disagree. I have full confidence in Fields. Like I predicted with Josh Allen prior to the 2018 draft, it may not look pretty early on but he will keep you competitive. He already has 3 wins under his belt where he’s played at least a half of football.

20. Br4d

The guy Fields reminds me of is Mark Sanchez. Fields is more mobile but he is also going to need a lot of help to stay upright and win over time. If the Bears give him that help he has a chance to be a decent NFL starting QB. If not he will likely get injured at some point and he will definitely have issues when the talent starts to age out around him.

The Bears have the oldest roster in the NFL. Jets 2009 wave at them in recognition.

Yankjetfan likes this.