Maye requests trade

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by blackssmagic, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

I like Maye and was hoping we could keep him. If I'm JD I'd throw a decent contract extension out there and see if he bites. I don't know what that number would be but it'd be nice to keep one of our decent players we drafted.

BacktoQueens and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Eh, defensive backs is a bit broad of a term. Safeties have a bit more longevity than cornerbacks because the game is as much about angles as it is speed for them.

We can't have an entire team of 23 year olds all the time. Maye would've been a good guy to pay $12 million a year for a couple years while the kids get their feet under them.

Instead as @BrowningNagle alluded to, we decided to keep a bunch of cap space instead of signing him and will likely get smoked where the free safety would be all year.

Ralebird likes this.
  3. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I’ll take a second round pick and Travis Kelce. Or the foodarackacycle from the Jetsons.

FJF likes this.
  4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Don’t forget JD didn’t draft Maye. He’s going to be 29 next year (Thanks Mac) and on top of that he hid an arrest for months from the team. He’s as good as gone. Yes he’s a good player but unfortunately by the time this roster is set he’s going to probably age out anyway. Trade him or let him walk and get a decent compensatory pick for him. There’s a lot of talk that they may be eyeing Hamilton out of ND. He’s a stud - I’m not overjoyed it would take a first round pick ( I feel EDGE or IOL would be more appropriate if the right player is there ) but at least the position would be reset on a rookie scale.

5. mrjet80

They’re not signing a 30 year old safety in the offseason. No way … in fact I doubt they sign any safety unless it’s for depth purposes.

Unfortunately the position will probably now be a high priority in the draft which is less than desirable but if the pick hits Maye will be quickly forgotten.

6. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Actually, player grades seems to think otherwise with the safety position:

https://socalledfantasyexperts.com/aging-curve-nfl-defensive-players-dl-lb-db/#:~:text=Player grades seem to think that safeties peak at age,safeties peak at age 26.

Out of the top 25+ best safeties in the league, the following guys are 30 years or older:

Micah Hyde - $9m per year
    Anthony Harris - $4m per year
    Jordan Poyer - $9m per year
    Kareem Jackson - $5m per year
    Jimmy Ward - $9m per year
    Devin Mccourty - $11m per year

Why would you think it logical to pay Maye $12+m per year as he approaches 29 years old?

Leicester Jet and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

As much as I love Hamilton (and Bolden for that matter) they better not piss away another high pick on a safety when the offense still looks like Bowling Green's. We don't have the luxury of taking a safety in the top ten.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  8. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

weird that j fowler didnt tweet this at all but this dude is quoting him ... did he say this on air?

Aero likes this.
  9. mrjet80

I agree but they do have two picks each in the top two rounds …. it’s gonna be an interesting off season.

10. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I have a feeling you're right about that. The Jets should either sign him or trade him and they're not signing him. They'll probably cut their losses before the trade deadline.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

We have virtually zero money tied into the defense right now with one player to sign.

He plays a similar game to McCourty in the center field. Power + Hyde are literally the best safety duo in the league and a huge part of the Bills top ranked defense.

Not sure what kind of data that is but Harrison Smith is 32. I realized you picked age 30, but if you sign him to a 4 year extension with an out after 3, you'd be able to pull the rug as he's 31 years old.

You also forgot this part.

12. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

He's probably asking for a fortune to play on the Jets. He realizes his time in the league is limited and wants to win now. You can't blame him. He's not a good match with the Jets in the current situation.

MoWilkBeast and Since1969 like this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It makes sense that safeties play better, longer. Corner you have to run stride for stride, safety, while it would help to be prime quickness & speed of course, its a lot more mental than physical, taking the right angles and guessing which way the QB is going.

anyway, I personally think its a moot point. Maye is 28 years old. He is in his prime, he is not an old safety

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  14. Falco21

I didn't forget anything. A safety peaks by age 30, then falls off a cliff

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Sustained success lasts longer for safeties and we could've had 2-3 more years of that success but opted against it in order to create a big hole at the position that we'll fill with either a free agent at a similar age or rookie.

What exactly are they (and you) qualifying as falling off a cliff?

16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

and gronk gets hurt a lot. he's out right now with broken ribs. The bucs are making a superbowl run, trading away one of bradys weapons isn't ideal

17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

not with safeties. many CBs have moved to safety in their early 30s when they couldn't do the CB thing well anymore and added years to their career. ed reed made the pro bowl at 34, palamalu played until 33 and made the pro bowl at 32 and he was more physical then a FS. woodson played CB until 35 then switched to safety and played until 39 and made the pro bowl at 39. thats just a few examples. there are dozens of others. maye probably won't fall off for another 4-5 years and even then still be effective

Ralebird likes this.
  18. Falco21

My point wasn't that Maye will not be any good. My point was that history has proven that safeties tend to fall off after 30 years old and paying him $12+ million would not be a logical approach for a 28 year old player. The top safeties in this league near his age are not making $12 million a year, why would we pay Marcus Maye that?

It's a mixture of his age, his skillset, and the market. It all does not fit well at $12 million a year, which is reportadely what he was asking for

And for the record, those guys you listed were making $5-7 million per year at that stage in their careers. Not $12+ million.

Obviously it was a different Era with salaries, but that's 50% of what Maye wants and those are hall of famers

19. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

This is BS. Marcus Maye has always been a good soldier. DUI charge? That's crap in comparison to all the good he's done for the Jets. He's always kept his mouth shut and just played solid football.Trading him... I think... Would be an enormous mistake. I hope JD gets something done with Maye ASAP.......

20. Falco21

A 28 year old $12+ million safety who has an unreported DUI charge sounds like a perfect trade candidate to me