I think Mike LaFleur is taking way too much heat

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFan20, Oct 11, 2021.

1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Yes, and what got him bumped up to that prestigious position is his ability to make off-platform throws and complete them to receivers. I don't see anything else he does that makes him that special.

2. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

Steve Young makes a great point, that I, and probably a lot of people haven't strongely considered.

3. westiedog1

I agree whole heartedly with the underlined. It should be remembered when people start falling in love with a QB prospect. No one can tell how these guys are going to fare facing an NFL defense.

Somewhat disagree with the last sentence. While those plays are the bread and butter of the NFL. The difference between the average QBs and the great ones is the ability to make plays when things breakdown and in the clutch. I think the tape clearly shows Wilson has the ability to make plays and that's what the Jets saw in him. Whether his skillset will transfer to the NFL is something we'll have to wait and see.

4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Sam was great at making plays when stuff broke down. It’s all the other stuff he struggled with.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  5. westiedog1

Implied in "greatness" is making the routine plays as well.

6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Can't take the heat? Get outa the kitchen

Guess what...they BOTH doth sukketh atm

Let's get better fast

7. NYJetsO12

Point the blame???

Go ask our Genius GM who is paid millions to think 100 Xs better than 20 posters on TGG

70 % of all posts refer to rookie QB rookie CS ...it's gonna take time..Feh to that 100xs..just tired of waiting tbh

Where is the Vet QB to help Wilson??? If the accuracy is off TAKE A SEAT KID

Where's the Vet OC to have him make doable throws not bombs down the field?

Vilma figured out the Johnsons scheme >>>shit Franchises have Rookie QBs play ASAP to fill seats increase ratings and pay TIX

Douglas the Disappointment goes right along with it when he could have gotten a mix of veteran coaches and players

The GM tops it off by encouraging the Saleh LaFleur nepotism..yes we all got excited ( myself included) with new guys but it was really Fools Gold..just more Owner manipulation and our GMs real bomb of a choice apparently...and he is PAID to get the best candidate

Douglas is paid to field the best Product ..clearly it isn't. I would be proud if he corrects this mistake by seasons end if necessary

.if we stick with Zach (way too much invested in $ and draft picks we had at this point) fire Saleh /LaFleur and go get the kid a better HC and OC..sooner the better

#67 NYJetsO12, Oct 12, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  8. legler82

9. NYJetsO12

We have fans with Russia accents breaking down plays ..now I heard it all

cval and boozer32 like this.
  10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

LeFleur does deserve blame. He could help his rookie QB out by calling simpler plays, quick out, dink, and dunks just to build his confidence and move the chains. You know get the offense into a flow. They don't fully utilize Carter either. he is not a run up the gut runningback. He needs to be thrown the ball out in the flat and let him run by and around slow linebackers. He is not a workhorse back. Also, they should throw to Ty Johnson more. That would also help out Zach.

Sack exchange and Ralebird like this.
  11. boozer32

Guess who is available to help?

12. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

He did sir. Wilson dirted it to Crowder, and bounched ball of helmet of Moses back 2 back.

13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Who?

14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Your friendly neighborhood Spiderman

Jonathan_Vilma and Red Menace like this.
  15. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

I think Lafleur is in over his head as OC! But only way to learn is to do it. So if he is good learner, should get better each game. In my honest opinion I see some good and lots of bad so far. I think it is a process. If same towards by end of season I would move on from him! He may know the book smart, but this is real life and he was given the authority and responsibility to be OC. So all falls on him with regards to the offense being one of the worst! Same as last year when Gase was “supposed’ to be brilliant, but results were more than poor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red Menace likes this.
  16. legler82

It is my “hope” that the off platform stuff bumped him to that prestigious position only in the eyes of fans and media pundits. If it did in the eyes of GMs, then they are as clueless as I feared.

Ralebird likes this.
  17. legler82

Found it. It was good old Matt Waldman. Starting at the 31:34 mark.

“This is a common thing I see with [[Zach Wilson] which is his short game is a little below average I think right now for a quarterback…It’s often behind the receiver or a little too high or too low…It also illustrates a mechanical point…that front leg locks out a little bit on a regular basis. And it seems to me that it contributes to him either sailing short throws and sinking intermediate to vertical throws”

Rewatching this video and Matt Waldman pointed out EVERY single one of the issues we are seeing now with Wilson. Credit to him and his evaluation skills.

#77 legler82, Oct 13, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    Br4d and Ralebird like this.
  18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

This is a great point, lots of people have knowledge but few people have the wisdom to apply the knowledge. That’s where the experience factor comes in, that’s where Wilson and Lafleur are both struggling.

Lafleur wants Zach to learn through repetition which is fine, but maybe asking him to throw the ball 25-30 times a game should be the max for now. Use the run game, sweeps, counters, off tackle runs…etc

The Wisdom behind this blue print is less demand from Wilson which contributes to less mistakes and less pressure on himself.

It’s a blueprint that is set up in stages for a QBs development, and it also allows everyone to grow together with a new scheme.

I don’t want instant gratification from this team, but there should be some progress as season moves along.

In Lafleurs defense the scheme seems to be getting some WR open, it’s everything leading up to getting the ball out of Wilson’s hand that’s seems to be lagging behind.

Sack exchange likes this.
  19. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

You mean like have the WR have multiple root trees on the same route that requires the QB and WR being in sync? Or having three guys in the same area on the same play? You mean the zone blocking scheme that this OL has trouble executing or even handling basic stunts (BTW - isn't that what happened last year too).

Lets see QB throws high low, behind... yes he is learning. RB missing assignments on blitzes yes they are learning... the problem is if you keep making the same mistakes - you are only learning bad tendencies which leads to bad execution. So yes, you may very well be right, they are learning but maybe, just maybe, not what you think. Just saying.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. boozer32

Gruden. That's a bad joke. I didn't like him before his horrific downfall.

Red Menace likes this.