Wilson to spend the bye week in Utah working with John Beck

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFan20, Oct 12, 2021.

1. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

Maybe Beck can fix him.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Who is??

3. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

His personal QB coach: former Dolphin

Cman68 likes this.
  4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Walter Peck.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We need all the prayers we can get.

6. abyzmul

Needs to stuff Elijah Moore in his duffel bag.

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  7. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Kid is wise beyond his years.

Really pulling for him. I think he really could be special in this league

barfolomew, LAJet, vegaskarl and 5 others like this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

After seeing Wilson's performance so far, not sure how much confidence Beck inspires in me...

9. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I was hoping Glenn Beck, but whatever I guess.

Hemi, SOJAZ, Savatage and 3 others like this.
  10. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Can't wait for all the Palmer *cough* Beck comments a week from now:

"I think he's really starting to put it all together. He can make all the throws, he's just adjusting to the speed of the game."

11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Welcome to the JETS kid!

12. abyzmul

Robots make the world better. They are our friends and helpers.

ouchy and IDFjet like this.
  13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's a positive move on his part. Probably the first of many he will need before he can play in the NFL.

Kid comes out of college after finally putting it all together in a beyond weird season. He no doubt thought he was ready for the NFL and everything it could throw at him.

5 games in he realizes he is woefully unprepared for the NFL. He makes a great throw now and then but NFL QB's make a great throw every other pass and what he is doing is like 1/10th what he needs to be doing.

So now that all this has dawned on him he is taking proactive steps to try to fix things. This is the only way he comes out of this thing intact and he's going to have to do it for about the next two years straight - fixing things as he goes.

More power to him. He's not waiting for somebody else to make things better he's going to do it himself.

14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Don't know how I should feel about this.

ouchy and NYJetsO12 like this.
  15. Br4d

It seems likely that Zach Wilson has realized that there is nothing Mike LaFleur or Robert Saleh can do for him over the bye that is going to fix the issues he is having right now.

He could ask a teammate or two to spend the bye with him somewhere here, making lots of repetitions on the throws he is having difficulty with. Making lots of repetitions of taking a snap, going to play action and then making a quick throw.

However if he's decided he wants to make a thousand throws over the bye week and really work on those plays? Well that's something you hire people to do with you and you do it where you have connections. You do it from 8am until the light goes, with a few breaks here and there.

I'm going to guess that is what Zach Wilson is going to be doing with John Beck and a few trusted selected ex-players that Beck is hooked up with. And they're probably going to get paid very well to do it and to keep their mouths shut about what the sessions look like, how they work and how Zach is doing in them.

The Jets face Bill Belichik again right after the bye in New England. I'm pretty sure Zach Wilson wants that performance to be a hell of a lot better than the last one.

16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I hope it works, I really do. I guess it's Darnold not improving after working with Palmer that makes me a bit skeptical.

stinkyB, NYJetsO12 and Br4d like this.
  17. Br4d

Darnold has a major mechanical issue in his throwing motion, not as bad as Tebow but definitely making him off-target more often than he should be. The answer to that type of problem is repetition, as many as you need to retrain your mechanics so that throwing becomes about muscle memory and is automatic.

Josh Allen had a similar problem that made him sail passes too often and too inaccurate throwing to receivers crossing his field of view. He made a bunch of mistakes his first two seasons and was one of the reasons the Bills weren't able to finish well. After his second season he recognized that his mechanics were a big part of the problem and he worked with Palmer in the off-season - making about 10k throws in a bunch of clustered sessions and analyzing the mechanics as he did it. That's what "fixed" him. It wasn't NFL experience (other than letting him know things needed to be fixed), it was working the problem rigorously until he found the solution in a mechanical fix.

Sam Darnold appears to have taken a different approach with Palmer. We don't know what that was but he still has the hitch in his throwing motion when he is throwing from a set position.

It doesn't appear that Zach Wilson has a flaw in his throwing motion. It looks more like he has bad mechanics in terms of how he sets himself, how he turns his body as he addresses the field of play before throwing and in terms of what throws he is willing to let go of instead of finding a better option. He also has bad mechanics under pressure, turning his back on the field of play while scrambling too often (Josh Allen used to do this regularly and now almost not at all) and forcing throws instead of just getting to the ground quickly and safely when under interior pressure. He also is sloppy on some of the throws he makes that are not high velocity throws.

Wilson should be able to make improvements to all of the above with enough reps, but we're talking thousands of reps not the few hundred he will get in practice and the few hundred more in games under pressure.

The CS is saying all the right things about a rookie QB right now but watch Saleh's face on the sidelines after Zach screws up. He is definitely not a happy puppy.

REVISion and NYJetsO12 like this.
  18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Kudos to Zach

You only are a Loser if you stop trying...and now we must be patient while he takes the Stanley H Kaplan (famous college board tutor ha) remedial QB course

First lesson >>>so here's the receivers hands throw to them ..but not sooohard it bounces off

Second lesson>>>>theirs the receivers feet DONT throw it there

Third lesson>>>Jets jerseys are usually green and white or all white only throw to players with those colors please

Br4d likes this.
  19. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Hope we don't play the eagles after that camp

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I am sick over this ..year after year

We set up our BYU guy up for failure

Now he has to spend his own big bucks to save his career ...really hope it works out by 2022

LAJet likes this.