I think Mike LaFleur is taking way too much heat

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFan20, Oct 11, 2021.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

his overuse of the PA is precisely the unimaginative playcalling that puts the QB in way too many 3rd and Longs

zace and cval like this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

If the off-platform thing is how he's going to make money in the NFL then the scheme makes absolutely no difference.

This was the worry of most of us who were viewed as negative detractors in that his big flashy plays weren't going to connect much in the NFL because NFL defenses are just that much better than Navy's.

The NFL is about chunk plays (15-25 yards) and 8-10 play drives. Not 60 yard bombs.

Bellys Lies and westiedog1 like this.
  3. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

I truly hope the guy succeeds. I am sure Saleh will give him a pretty long rope. Some of the play designs you're talking about are pretty good actually....but I totally agree with your main point.

The idea of having plays that are designed to be caught 10 to 20 yards downfield, for the most part, was a pretty damn aggressive goal and hey, with the kids strengths, I could see going for it.

Bottom line is its not working ENOUGH..at least not yet. Telling the kid he needs to be "boring" sometimes and running the plays we are running is basically saying use your safes more. That's not a play design...that's a bailout.
    There seems to be very little play design to get the kid in a rhythm and even give Moore a chance to get going with plays inside the first down marker. Again, I give him credit for trying it...but have begun to get a bit pissed
    off with all of this talk of lack of execution. Telling the press you take the blame also because the coaches are not doing a good enough job of explaining what they want is saying there is nothing at all wrong with the
    designs of the plays...the player just doesn't get it.

I fail to see how that's taking responsibility.

Red Menace and Cman68 like this.
  4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

What's weird though is Wilson was highly accurate in college, shorter throws included. He was very aggressive pushing the ball downfield but was accurate everywhere.

I really think all these underthrows we're seeing are him overcompensating for all the overthrow interceptions earlier in the year. It's no coincidence the underthrows started happening right after his 4 INT game.

SOJAZ and Acad23 like this.
  5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Agree, after the Pats game all of his balls were going toward the dirt. I'm fine with that honestly, let him work out the kinks from that end, it's less risky.

6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

He had a high CMP% but I always questioned his ball placement. That has held true. With regards to short area accuracy, there were small signs of that being an issue but I didn’t see enough to label it as such. I remember there was one draft pundit that thought it was big problem. I may to try to find it. I thought he was wrong but in our small sample size so far, he looked to be right.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Could be. You can definitely see him aiming the ball rather than throwing it, but the bad mechanics look even worse when the coverage gets tighter and the pocket is smaller.

I still have some hope though. He has plenty of season left to fix it and he's been protected much better. Now we need the offensive gameplan to look like a NFL coach made it.

Red Menace likes this.
  8. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Maybe they should run some plays against the D before the game starts to clear out the cobwebs. Or maybe they need to meditate before the game.

9. VegasMav

VegasMav Well-Known Member

This is how I see it. This is the youngest team in the NFL. The whole staff and team are rookies. I was really concerned about not having a veteran QB to help mentor Zack, but the more I thought about it, the more I'm thinking that both LaFleur and Wilson are learning and growing together and will eventually figure it out. This season is a learning season. Let them grow and learn to develop a winning culture.

I think Saleh is doing just that, letting them figure it out. He's got the defense to develop and it's doing just fine. They will get better. No need to bring in people with experience and their bad habits to disrupt the growing process. We as suffering Jets fans expect the best because we've been suffering for so long. I think the change is going to be a good one. Time to tinker with what works and what doesn't and learn from it. This team will be fine and we will all be dancing in the streets like Bills fans when the team starts winning. Remember, the Bills only have been good the last few years. The Jets, I believe will be better for a long time.

Noam likes this.
  10. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Well, at least he realizes it.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

These throws should be mechanically sound by this time in his development.

When they're not, as in Mark Sanchez, Sam Darnold territory, it likely means that the guy is going to be an average talent at best.

Josh Allen had the problem also and he took his second NFL off-season and worked with Jordan Palmer to the tune of 10,000 throws to get things down. That's why he went from a better version of what Zach Wilson is today to an excellent NFL QB.

SOJAZ likes this.
  12. legler82

Thank goodness he’s more aware than some of his super fans who believe there’s nothing wrong.

13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Super fans are just as bad as super haters.

Red Menace likes this.
  14. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

His system relies too much on tight ends when this team has more talent at the wide receiver position.

Your plan need to work for the players you have.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  15. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

That’s my main issue, developing a young QB is supposed to be boring, Wilson is never in rhythm and so goes the offense. I believe he is capable of playing at this level, it just seems rushed right now.

I don’t understand Lafleurs need to treat him like a veteran at this point.

I want them all to succeed, problem is this has the potential of blowing up catastrophically for all of them.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

I disagree with the title. OC developed an overly complicated system and rather then tweak it to help, he sticks with what is not working. I am not interested in whatever excuses people want to make about him being a rookie OC, he took the job knowing what the responsibilities were/are and right now up to tis point, he is failing to put players in position to be successful.

Isn't that what the HC stated when he took the job... our job is to develop players to the best of their abilities... not sure (actually quite sure) that is not happening on the Offensive side of the ball. This falls on the OC and HC... HC because to this point he has done nothing.. lets hope this week off helps, because if they continue to lose in this vane, we may have the wrong CS again.

17. legler82

This overly complicated system is the same system the draft experts on and off this site said he was perfect for. Zach himself wanted to be drafted by a team that runs this system meaning San Fran but that’s not the point.

Also don’t assume a player is not developing based on performance. You learn just as much from your mistakes as you do your successes if not more.

REVISion likes this.
  18. legler82

19. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

He should be taking a lot of heat. This offense is garbage and he's completely abandoned the run game

NYJetsO12 and Acad23 like this.
  20. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I truly don't think MF Is as bad as people are making him out to be. A lot of his concepts have been really good, a lot of these plays have been really good, especially the last two games. The execution has been dog shit though.

A big problem that I'm seeing Is..

Too much max protect plays.. Which, to be fair, have been necessary because this OL has played like dog shit for most the year. I do think MF lightened up the max protect a bit against ATL. You truly can't go all year playing max protect to cover up the OL troubles, to protect the QB, and have a lot of options beyond that. Defenses are way too smart for that shit.

Also... Aside from the obvious mechanical flaws and poor decisions that Wilson has been making. I have hope he will correct these things, honestly, the potential Is there that I didn't see from him In college.

Play Action Is a HUGE focal point for this scheme. Wilson has been, again, dog shit with the PA pass. This Is a big problem for several reasons. One, I know people want MF to get away from the PA pass, but, It's obvious that this Is REQUIRED In this system. The QB HAS to be able to execute In this scheme under the PA pass. It's obvious. The problem Is, Wilson Isn't good at the PA pass right now. He simply Is not seeing the field correctly post-snap after the play-action. It's obvious watching It, It's obvious In the stats.

So.. What do you do? I would do the same thing as MF. Force that shit until Wilson figures It out, rep It out as long as It takes, this Is essential.

Problem Is.. It's not translating thus far.

Big Problems.