I think Mike LaFleur is taking way too much heat

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFan20, Oct 11, 2021.

1. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

The OC is always an easy target around here, and if the Jets go 3-14 like Cman thinks hes the easy scapegoat. However, let’s be real here. I know fans don’t want to hear it, but Zach Wilson isn’t ready to be an NFL QB right now. That doesn’t mean Wilson will be a bust, but It is what it is. Nobody could run an effective NFL offense with this level of QB play.

2. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

LaFleur isn’t being flexible enough. I think he’s probably a good OC candidate but he absolutely isn’t scheming to the current talents of the players, including Zach.

Additionally, downs like 2nd and 2 are a free shot for guys like Rodgers but we just need to keep the offense out there with chunk plays. Minimising three-and-outs should be the mantra for the next few weeks.

NYJetsO12 and SOJAZ like this.
  3. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

You make a great point and I agree with you 100%.

Many fans today have been brainwashed by the media into thinking it is all about the QB.

Show me a good NFL offense and I will argue it probably has a good offensive line and very few dumb penalties.

So maybe the Offensive Line coach should be examined?

ouchy likes this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Nobody on that coaching staff gets a pass for this.. Its a collective failure, not one person.

boozer32, NYJetsO12, zace and 8 others like this.
  6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Mainly the problem is execution. Recievers dropping balls, OL allowing pressures, and Zach pressing to make plays..

But there are many things that could help. Zach has done really poorly on long developing plays and particularly play action passes. While Zach has exceled on quick passes. He has the 4th best adjusted completion percentage if all NFL QBs in the league on passes that are thrown within 2.5 seconds with an 89.5 percent completion percentage.

Games like Sunday where they ran 42 percent PA passes their highest rate of the year certainly did not help. I understand PA is a big part of the offense but if it is not working they need to adjust and move on.

The argument has been made by others that you don't want to take away too much of a strength and reduce his big play output by getting rid of too many long developing plays but the long developing plays is where the numbers clearly say that he has struggled the most. In other words he does not need to be protected all the time like Mac Jones but when he has been asked to play like Mac Jones he has been better than Mac Jones. A liitle better balance and asking a little less of Wilson could greatly improve his numbers.

#6 Noam, Oct 12, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    cval likes this.
  7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I'm not so sure it's "he's not ready to be an NFL QB" as much as it is he's a rookie QB who just finished his 5th game. He's been more bad than good but his good shows you that he can play in the NFL. Now he's just got to learn how to do that for an entire game and not just a half here and there.

I also agree about LaFleur, he has to shoulder some of the blame because our opening script isn't working but this has been a team effort to look as poorly as we've looked so far. LaFleur, Zach, the WR's, the OL, and Saleh all have some blame for how this season has gone.

I sincerely hope they get together and figure it our during the bye week. I wonder if they would consider sending LaFleur to the booth and let Calabrese be the voice in Zach's helmet. It could allow LaFleur see the field better and could help his playcalling. Not saying that's the answer but clearly what we've been doing isn't working that well, might as well switch it up and try something new.

SOJAZ, FJF, cval and 2 others like this.
  8. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I agree, but I think it's going to take the rest of the season to get the entire cast of "newbies" from CS to players to get on the same page. I know it's hard for fans given the preseason hype but patience is required.

KY Jets Fan and FJF like this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

LaFleur has sucked so far and so has the quarterback. They can both independently be doing a bad job.

LaFleur has structured this offense around what he perceived to be Wilson's strength which is throwing the ball down field, yet ignores the fact that this type of offense is incredibly hard to succeed with unless you have very good jump ball receivers (see Falcons with Julio 3-4 years ago, Chargers with Mike Williams this year, etc.). We're running way too much max protect and taking way too many shots off play action with deep sets.

Wilson also needs to use his legs more effectively (been saying this since week one) because it'll slow the game down for him. He's looking to bail awfully early from the pocket when he has good protection the past couple weeks although it's pretty understandable given the siege he was under the first couple games.

We have a bunch of short fast guys. Let's leverage that. Spread the offense out, take the useless tightend off the field and look at 4 wide/1 back with Coleman fielding the pass protection duty and pick up some small chunks and let the big plays come organically when Wilson scrambles.

10. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Oh this is rich

11. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

If throwing the ball down field is just a “perceived” strength, then what is Wilson’s actual strength? So far this year, short passes hasn’t been it. The following excerpt is from Cimini’s article posted earlier in this thread.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

someone should tell Lafleur that you have to run the ball before you can expect to execute a play action pass. The whole concept is based on the idea that you trick the defense into thinking you are running the football. When they know you aren't then its just a slow developing pass play

NYJetsO12, zace, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the offense does have a good jump ball receiver though but Lafleur keeps him on the bench. Ok I'll give it up in this thread, its just so infuriating

14. cval

cval Well-Known Member

First of all stop listening to Ralebird..... Why is this so hard to understand. Zach is a rookie, rookies overthink because you are seeing things for the first time. When you overthink and not just react you make mistakes. This is especially true with the throwing the ball.

Whatever, the kid is a bust draft a QB next year. If sucks after 2 games rinse and repeat.

15. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

If this keeps up, I'm wondering if Saleh and friends will be one and done here in NY.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You're projecting so badly dude.

No one said anything like that, merely that he's struggling throwing the ball short.

Ralebird and legler82 like this.
  17. legler82

I don’t know what in my history on this board would lead you to believe I’m listening to others to draw my own conclusions. I asked @Jonathan_Vilma a legitimate question based on what he wrote. If you care to comment about that specifically, I’m willing to listen. You’re the one going off on a tangent about busts.

Ralebird likes this.
  18. legler82

One of the things that I helped ease my predraft concerns about Wilson’s affinity for throwing up YOLO balls was that he at least would be throwing them to Davis and Mims. Davis statistically WAS a great contested catch WR and Mims we know that’s his strength. The former has been disappointing and the latter can’t see the field. Ugh

#18 legler82, Oct 12, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    Acad23 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Wilson has a bunch of bad habits that need to be dealt with before he has any chance of becoming an NFL starting QB.

He throws before his feet are set. He throws across his body. He turns his back on the action while scrambling. He short-arms the easy passes in a way that almost makes it look like he's just going through the motions on those plays. He has a strong tendency to be inaccurate on crossing routes, which are the ones that have a lot of defenders in the area.

He just isn't doing what an NFL QB needs to do to be successful.

It will not take Saleh and the Jets long to decide they need to move on if this crap continues. If Wilson is as bad in the 5 games after the bye as he was in the first 5 games the Jets are going to be looking for a way out.

Saleh has a responsibility to the team that is not being fulfilled if he puts a guy who cannot make the boring plays out there at QB.

NYJetsO12 and SOJAZ like this.
  20. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I say just cut him. This kid is horrible.

Br4d and FJF like this.