The Golden Stream

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by abyzmul, Mar 1, 2021.

1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Get a Kindle Paperwhite and download a few books. Give it a shot!

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I stopped reading a long time ago, I listen to audio books now and multi task.

It was a 3 book series and this is the first one. Apparently they swapped the order of the second and third books/seasons so the third season really didn't seem like it would fit to me.

The way it goes more than 1 season is the supernatural angle.

#102 abyzmul, Sep 16, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  3. abyzmul

@Acad23 moving discussion to this thread
    For this ît might be a matter of preference, but I know many people favor The Wire over shows like The Sopranos and Breaking Bad.

For me, there hasn't been a show that I thought the overall product was better than Breaking Bad and there hasn't been a single season of TV better than season 1 of the Wire (since prefer season 4), although a few of the Sopranos seasons are right up there.

Sopranos got too repetitive and predictable for me late in the show (plus a zillion new character in each of those last 2 seasons) and that's what hurt the overall product for me.

4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to this...

abyzmul likes this.
  5. abyzmul

I'm about 4 episodes through season 4 of Goliath and I want to say it's too slow, but this show is always slow. Still really good and Bruce Dern and JK Simmons are predictably awesome.

6. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Doing re-runs of Parts Unknown with Bourdain. Did anyone see Roadrunner? I'm gonna check it out soon.

Love or hate him, some of those episodes are pretty epic. I have to give credit in general to someone who traveled all over the world.

There was one episode where he went back to France where him and his brother lived when they were kids, talked up the old guy who was living there, that was pretty neat.

The other episode I really liked was when he went to Ethopia. The food looked so good! Then there's the iguana taco. "That's the most disgusting thing I ever ate." Haha.

7. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

I thought Goliath was pretty good. I still have to watch the last season.

I finally started Yellowstone.

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Yellowstone is pretty good television.

Made me actually like Kevin Costner... :confused:

REVISion likes this.
  9. abyzmul

I haven't watched Yellowstone, mainly because I actually liked Costner in his prime in some movies while everyone was turned off by him and now I'm kind of bored with him while he's having his second wind.

Goliath: I would watch a show with just Bruce Dern and JK Simmons, this season is so great. Sucks that it's the final season but good shows hardly ever make it 4 seasons anymore, only the overhyped dogshit, so I'll take what I can get.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Finished Click Bait. It was decent enough until an atrocious ending where they added a twist to shock you that had no connection to the entire story.

Started Midnight Mass which seems really good. But after episode 3 it needs to pick up. It's also walked into some very long monologues that get boring.

I'm gonna check out Goliath if you guys say it's good. It came up in a couple different searches over the past couple months when I was looking for a show.

11. Savatage

Did you guys ever watch "Mad Dogs" on Prime? It's only 10 episodes and it's pretty f'd up, but, in a good way. It stars Michael Imperioli and Steve Zahn. It's definitely worth checking out and you don't have to commit too much time.

#111 Savatage, Sep 30, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  12. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Netflix Squid Game kicked ass--definitely has discussion points.

REVISion likes this.
  13. abyzmul

I can't do it. I know you need to power through the early cliche stuff with Bosch but I tried to pick it up twice this week, I get about 2 ham-handed lines in and I'm done. Not for me I guess.

14. Savatage

I just watched the trailer to that.....wow, that looks messed up!

15. abyzmul

I just put on the first episode not knowing what to expect and, wow, this is really well made. Totally has my attention.

Not remotely an original concept, it's one of those survival drama things like we had in the states with the Hunger Games and all that crap, and 3% in Brazil, I know there's more in other countries.

This show reminds me of some of the best Korean movies I've seen in the past decade, it is really good.

REVISion and IDFjet like this.
  16. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Ya--not close to original and you'll find yourself predicting next outcomes but its fun nonetheless and has some surprises. After you've watched it I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on a couple things.

17. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Squid Game was great. Yellowstone also great.

18. Savatage

I have to take a pause on Yellowstone until my wife gets back from Africa(Kenya) so, I was going to start Midnight Mass. Did it pick up for you?

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It was ok I guess. Worth a watch especially because it's quick. There are so many dumb holes in the ending and it kind of lost my attention for certain scenes in the middle. There are extremely long monologues by characters at times (7-8 minutes maybe?) where the show is just trying to be way too deep. The monologues don't really reveal any information it's just a lot of cliches.

Savatage likes this.
  20. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Midnight mass is pretty good for those interested in horror, religion (especially catholicism), atheism, and thoughts about death.