Three ways out of this mess

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rscherwin, Sep 28, 2021.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with you that he should have hired an experienced OC, but I think he thought that Knapp would help LaFleur and Zach. Unfortunately, that didn't work out.

2. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

LOL! good point!

rscherwin and K'OB like this.
  3. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

The team will continue to fail until the offensive line is sorted. It doesn’t matter who’s under center, who’s calling plays, how fast wideout X is, etc.

Fix the fucking line, Douglas.

4. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Step one.

-place all blame on the OC.

✅ Check

5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Fixed it for you.:)

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's not hard to run the ball when you are down early in a season where you are going to blow chunks no matter what.

Give Wilson favorable positions to throw the ball and then start running to chew up clock and avoid letting the defense tee off on him.

If the Jets are throwing the ball more than 50% of the time they have the wrong plan. Period.

The Jets are going to lose a lot this year. They can do that while they are getting their young QB turned into hamburger and watching him develop bad habits that will stay with him for his entire career or they can make a nice rookie bubble for him.

REVISion likes this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

he did. if you look at my breakdown wilson had a lot of safe throws early in drives. short quick safe throws are an extension of the run game

8. GasedAndConfused

we were down too much to be trying to put together 8 min drives running the ball

9. GasedAndConfused

part of it was knapp who was hired to mentor wilson. you can't forsee him dying in a freak accident.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Of course not. But, it is not uncommon for Offensive Coordinators to get some experience under their belt before they can call an effective game.

11. GasedAndConfused

well with the drops and piss poor blocking even andy ried couldn't call a good game for us.

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No we weren't. That's traditional, "in the box" thinking and delusional. How about thinking that things are such a clusterfuck right now that the Jets have no chance of winning, so just accepting that they're going to lose the game anyway, and that they might as well use the game as practice to help prepare for next week's opponent? This would not only protect Zach but help him learn and build his and the rest of the offense's confidence.

13. GasedAndConfused

If they wanted to do that, then it makes more sense to get zach reps and have the o-line practice blocking people and communicating and the WRs not dropping passes.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

This is the most overlooked aspect of this whole thing. I've read countless times over the past couple of weeks that Saleh should have hired an experienced OC to help backup LaFleur and help Zach out. Well, he did just that when he hired Knapp. Surely, in addition to his stated duties, Knapp would have been helping LaFleur become adjusted to the job of an OC and help him refine his playcalling, but we know what happened there. It's not as if those types of guys grow on trees and Saleh could simply pluck one from the unemployment line and inset them into Knapp's role right before training camp started.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Or how about sustaining a drive with multiple 1st downs, getting into the redzone and scoring a TD or even FG. That should be the goal right now. Not winning a game with your rookie QB throwing deep passes. Baby steps LaFleur. Baby steps!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

we could have if WRs didn't drop all the balls

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

After spending most of the week upset over that complete lack of execution across many facets of the game I have resigned myself to the following.
    When we almost had more drops than catches, porous blocking across the OL, OL players either posting or talking shit, add stupid, unnecessary penalties, even to the point of negating a long field goal because time expired, reasonable Jet fans must assume we have serious issues that go way beyond the QB. I have taken notice that most positive gains ended in momentum killers last week, negated by some fuck up in either execution or mental stupidity.
    I find it incredible the BS said by AVR, or the tweet by McGovern were he said I did my job, clearly pointing the finger at another OL since the defender danced right thru to the QB. This team needs to start playing as a team more and talking less, which right now its not remotely happening. Improvements are needed immediately, from the top down including making talking fools understand that dumping playmates under the bus is BS, particularly when you suck at your job.

18. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

LaFleur isn't the problem.

Or

I think he's not the problem because this team is so devoid of talent 3-4 years with this GM it's impossible to properly evaluate aspects of this team. Certain players, coaching etc.

This GM doesn't know what he's doing.

I would say firing him is the solution but knowing how the Johnsons operate they'll somehow find a way to bring in someone worse. If it's even possible.

19. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

https://giphy.com/gifs/filmeditor-movie-comedy-3o84sn067hNcquAPKg

20. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

I have a feeling it's the coaching staff. I had my first doubt when I had to read about a slogan pasted on the wall about brakes and gas, but now that the season has gone on and the team has not looked competent in any area, I think we may be in for a rough couple of years. Good coaches can coach up their team to at least be competent even though they may not have a winning record (our opponent today for example), but this is pretty bad. It may not be long before we see planes flying banners that say:

"All Bob, No Wins".

Ron