Three ways out of this mess

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rscherwin, Sep 28, 2021.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think you're right that there are only three solutions to this problem.

One correction. LaFleur DOES have offensive coaching experience. He was SF's passing game coordinator. He's just has no experience as an OC calling plays and designing game plans. IMO that was a huge mistake on Saleh's part. With a rookie QB and with Saleh being a rookie, he needed an experienced OC. I think with having Knapp around he probably thought that would help ameliorate LaFleur's inexperience as Knapp would have a lot of input, but Knapp is not here. I was never that high on Cavanaugh as an OC, so I don't know if he's helping or not.

Hopefully, the media and fanbase (as well as JD) ratchet up the pressure on LaFleur and Saleh, and if LaFleur doesn't adapt/change and become more flexible quickly, Saleh will be forced to fire LaFleur. I think that eventually, if he's anything like his older brother, LaFleur could become a very good OC, maybe even HC, but right now he's a disaster. Zach may not survive long enough for LaFleur to develop.

2. NCJetsfan

Dont tempt fate, my friend! Things can always get worse! Zach could suffer a serious injury, tear his rotator cuff getting sacked or become shell-shocked like David Carr.

RBs, TEs, and WRs executing should be able to be fixed pretty easily in practice. Work on execution. Run the same play 100 times in a row until they can do it in their sleep. If someone screws up, make him run gassers until he drops. Have a player's court and let them fine each other for penalties and blown assignments. Have Davis work with the juggs machine catching passes until his hands bleed. Bench his ass and start Mims. Bench Johnson until he learns to catch and block.

I don't know what, if anything, JD can do at this point, but if there are any OGs out there in FA, bring them in for a workout. They'd be hard pressed to be worse than GVR at this point. If someone is available in a trade that is at least an upgrade over GVR, JD may have to bite the bullet and give up more in a trade and in salary than he wants, but he has to get Zach protected.

LaFleur needs to be forced to alter his game plans and play calling and to use Mims. If he doesn't like it, tell him that he can quit at any time. It wouldn't set well with Saleh, but if I'm JD, I'm putting the screws to Saleh to put serious pressure on LaFleur. I'd tell Saleh that so far, LaFleur's work has been totally unacceptable and that if there aren't some major changes and improvements quickly, that he (Saleh) will have to fire LaFleur at the end of the season. Another OC can be found. A FQB cannot.

3. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

The bold part is what I want to focus on. What I dont understand is his brother design great plays and not to mention is able to call almost perfect games. Trust me, I understand having Rodgers, Jones, Adams makes life very easy. Look at the plays Kyle calls during the game, the way he uses motion and the tight end I would have imagined baby LaFleur would have picked something up. I mean, doesnt he talk with his brother about plays/calls, didnt he discuss these things with Kyle while he was there? It just doesnt make any sense to me right now

4. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

As a person who ran multimillion dollar business, I can tell you this is exactly how I operated. I provided everyone with an opportunity to succeed and if they didn't, I would see if they were capable of something else that could contribute to the overall mission and profits. If I couldn't they were gone...and all of them, as in all, knew what the expectations were and signed documents confirming that understanding...

if things do not change, then maybe our HC is part of the problem and not the solution. We'll see...

PS. I am also with the poster that said our HC's very poor analogy about boxing was insulting. hey coach, your 0-3 and your team looks worse then last years debacle, man the fk up and make some dam changes or JD, if he has the balls, will.

5. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

How did Douglas think it was a good idea to bring in a rookie Head Coach and a rookie play caller to guide a rookie Quarterback?!

rscherwin likes this.
  6. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Time and experience is the only way out of this. Relax!!!

barfolomew likes this.
  7. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

That's not an entirely fair statement based on the first 3 games. None of the games were out of reach by the half, and this team needs more carries until things start to gel. A limited rushing game as this point has a cascading effect.

The defense hasn't been amazing, but they also haven't been dog shit either. When the defense is on the field as much as they've been, not running the ball isn't helping their performance (and will no doubt make them worse as the season ticks on). On top of that, Wilson is on pace for a sack record we don't want. Regardless of trying to win, they need to protect that long-term investment by running the ball. No one here expected a Superbowl team this season, and I think most would be overjoyed with a 5 win team that's competitive and trending upwards.

In the Pats game, they were only down 10 at the half while averaging almost 5ypc. With this inexperienced roster, they absolutely cannot throw the offense on Wilson's shoulders, or they're going to continue to get what they've gotten. They did nothing to try and settle Wilson down in this game, and they had an opportunity to make it a game and failed.

Down 17 (big lead, but not insurmountable) at the half in Denver, and the ball to start the 3rd quarter. The first drive to start the 2nd half made me want to vomit (well, most of the game did). First down incomplete, 2nd down run for 8, 3rd down incomplete, punt. When the OL actually blocks who they're supposed to (still an enormous work in progress), Carter has flashed.

Saleh's talking about being in round 3 of a 15 round fight, but they're executing the offense like they're running 110-meter hurdles with a dislocated hip; something isn't jiving there. It's an infantile team, run the ball more.

8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

well the pats game his 1st 2 passes were picked off. thats a pretty bad hole. he's a young QB. taking the ball away from him isn't doing anyone good. every QB will tell you that. when you throw a pick you gotta forget about it and go back out there and sling it. were also not built to come back from a deficit. even 10-0 isn't great for us. We do need more balance but the o-line isn't helping. that -7 yard run for carter killed a good looking drive. when you don't trust your o-line to not get blown up, it's hard to run a lot. running is supposed to be a safe positive play. when you are running for losses it kills the whole point.

9. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

fucking ridiculous thread

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

this board gets very ridiculous once we get a couple of losses every year

11. rockyusmc2003

That -7 yard run was on that 2nd drive of the half after two first downs, lol I was actually going to bring that up, a terribly missed assignment.

With this roster, it's not "taking the ball away" from Wilson though, it's keeping him alive. End of the day, you have to ask yourself if the juice is worth the squeeze. Get sacked 100 times or slap on some training wheels and live to play another day.

RochesterJet likes this.
  12. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

Agree.

The red lights flashing are about early indicators:
    1) The lack of humility and flexibility: Lafleur is a system over talent neophyte. Lafleur has called out Mims and Bechton - 2 of his top talents because they don't fit his system.
    2) Personal loyalty over team loyalty: Saleh has called out a rookie QB over a rookie OC (who is his friend)

Hope I'm jumping the gun. But I get paid to see these things. A slice of humble pie for Saleh and Lafleur and a big look in the mirror will do everyone a lot of good.

Leicester Jet and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

They've been gassed by possession 4 in every game. We come out slower than plate tectonics.

NCJetsfan and barfolomew like this.
  14. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

RochesterJet and barfolomew like this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

you also can't become 1 dimensional and refuse to let your 2nd overall QB throw the ball. sometimes you gotta take your chances.

16. rockyusmc2003

I'm not proposing to run the wildcat here. But, you can't run the ball less than 20 times a game (in 2 games they didn't even run it 15x), that's 1 dimensional.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Saleh was the consensus top HC candidate. There's nothing wrong with hiring him. Rightly, JD didn't dictate who Saleh should hire. Who Saleh hired is all on Saleh. Most GMs don't dictate who the new HC should hire. Remember the Jets tried to do that with Rhule several years ago and what a fiasco that was.

18. NCJetsfan

I totally agree. They aren't going to start winning until they get their rushing attack going, and they sure won't win if Zach gets injured or starts seeing ghosts. IMO they ought to run the ball even if they're behind 2-3 scores. Give their D a chance to rest, try to get the rushing attack going, have Zach throw only quick, shorter passes like Jones, build his and the whole offense's confidence for a game or two. If it means they lose that game or two while trying to do that, so be it, but it will ultimately be more productive and they'll have a better chance of winning later and of keeping Zach healthy.

19. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

20. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

I was all in on the Saleh hire, but, he should have brought in an experienced OC so Wilson would have a better chance of playing well in games and not just in practice.

NCJetsfan likes this.