Denzel Mims?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJW, Sep 12, 2021.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

jets have been turning down trade offers for mims. obviously he's in their long term plans.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

Just one thing when or if that happens will Denzel go along with that theory.. because reporters will come up to him and ask

blackssmagic and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, none of us knows for certain what the CS's plans, reasons and agenda are regarding Mims, yet we have posters here who are CERTAIN that Mims is a goner, and the Jets just turned the trades down because they weren't good enough, and we have other posters who just think Mims isn't that good and that's why he's not playing.

jetstopgun likes this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

After watching the Raider/Dolphin game yesterday, Denzel Mims would thrive in Vegas with Derek Carr and that crew of WR's.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

What trades?

6. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I mean, is there a college receiver who has ever been a purely jump ball player? Your contention is he's not jumping high enough? He caught every single ball here with his hands away from his body--and high pointed plenty of them. Did the person who made the video only look for hands catches? I agree that he's best as a deep threat, but the suggestion that he's only a burner who can't catch with his hands or play a role in the RZ is just inaccurate.

Now whether he can get open consistently on short and intermediate routes is another thing, but guess we'll never know unless we watch the practice squad tape.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's not inaccurate because he's never done it at the professional level.

You watched a highlight tape that compiles what? 9 of his 186 college catches and drew a conclusion?

Please watch. His leaping one handed catch at 1:08 is awesome. He out jumps corners at :34, 1:39, 2:01, 2:13, etc.

It doesn't mean they consistently can do it or will do or even did do it just because you saw a 4 minute clip and they did it a couple times.

8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

And to think coming out of preseason we all thought the WR group was going to be a strength of this team

only three games in, but so far Davis is a drop machine causing picks and stalled drives, Crowder has been out, Mims has been a healthy scratch, Moore has been mostly invisible and not getting separation, Cole has been invisible, leaving us with Berrios as really the only guy doing much of anything, and honestly Jeff Smith has at least made the few catches that we’re there to be made by him

funny how shit works out

I’m hoping that as our OL improves over the next few games (looking like a big IF right now), the QB and WR play will improve as well.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

Some interesting excerpts/statements from the below-referenced article.

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2021/...ffense-denzel-mims-mike-lafleur-robert-saleh/

Denzel Mims can't crack this porous Jets offense?
    Tyler Calvaruso
    September 27, 2021 8:08 am ET

I hadn't seen either of the statements before

I couldn't possibly agree more.

blackssmagic and Jets79 like this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

says who

11. BrowningNagle

How is he not a good fit for the WCO anyway? Having a big bodied WR on the outside is great for the west coast offense

It is infuriating watching Wilson drop back and throw it to a TE who trips over his own feet or Corey Davis who drops everything knowing that they are opting for that outcome when they have Mims & Crowder gathering dust

blackssmagic and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

My argument against LaFleur current position on Mims is that while the receivers he prefers have mastered the routes better they have also been dropping balls at an alarming rate. So why not give Mims a chance. Less routes but more catches.

Jets79 and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

Supposedly, the Shanahan offense wants fast/quick WRs who are great route runners, excel in YAC, and who are good blockers. Mims is fast, has great hands, a huge catch radius, great size, and is an excellent blocker. Any offense that can't take advantage of a player like Mims is fucked up and should be scrapped.

Jets79 and LAJet like this.
  14. BrowningNagle

I have to wonder if they had this conversation when they hired Saleh/LaFleur and how it went. Did Douglas ask them what they think about talented players who dont exactly fit in their precious systems? Did they lie to him and tell him they'd make it work or did Douglas tell them he'd rebuild the roster (again) to fit their philosophy? (rhetorical questions)

I guess the worst option would be Douglas not asking that question at all. Which is possible. A lot of people think the Jets have a "plan" and I personally dont think that's a conclusion I'd make for sure. Very possible they operate in silos like a lot of broken companies/organizations in our world

15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

16. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Not for nothing, but an argument can easily be made that Lafleur is an idiot for not using his tight ends. While they may stumble, they are incredibly efficient moving the ball and both Griffin and Kroft have 0 drops.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Maybe
    Maybe in the stat sheet, but I've absolutely seen our TE's drop passes, them included.

18. Falco21

Well if they have no recorded dropped passes, how have they dropped passes?

19. Falco21

We have 8 drops this season:

Corey Davis - 3
    Ty Johnson - 2
    Braxton Berrios - 1
    Michael Carter - 2